• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jfenton

jfenton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

just switched to tasigna after being on gleevec since Nov. 2001. I was still in remission but had pericarditis. Been treated with prednisone but whenever

i  taperoff it comes back  so my  Dr.had  me switch.have others madeswitch ,and how ,are you doing with it

#2 jamesm

jamesm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

I was on Gleevec for 2.5 years. It worked well but just couldn't take me to zero PCR, so I was switched to Tasigna. I've been on it close to 4 months.

Zero nausea with Tasigna. It's actually taken w/out food. I've been having annoying side effects though. Lot's of itchy skin and these tiny little bumps on the outside of my arms and sides. The worst part for me is hair loss. It's coming out fast. I had almost zero hair loss with Gleevec. I'm afraid at the rate I'm going I'll be bald in a couple months. I'm going to try some special shampoos but I'm not feeling real confident it will help much. One of the side effects I had with Gleevec was major thinning of my eyebrows from the outside in. I still have that going unfortunately. I'm going to be pretty harsh on the eyes with no eyebrows and a bald head, but hey, what can you do. I'm alive and healthy and enjoying life.

#3 jfenton

jfenton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

hi, thanks for the info.just, started tasigna  this week so I havent noticed any itching yet.I've been losing my hair all spring since I was sick w/ the pericarditis

so thats something to look  forward to, but I agree i'll take bald and healthy any day.

#4 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

May I ask what caused the pericaditis?  What role did Gleevec play in

this?  Just curious.  I'm glad you are doing well now that you switched.

Simone

#5 jfenton

jfenton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

they don't really know what's causing the pericarditis. Going off the gleevec is just process  of elimination at this point Drs. cant find a cause and every time I taper off the prednisone it comes  back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users