Hi-- My Mom was diagnosed with CML 3 years ago. She was on Gleevac and was in full remission. This past July, out of nowhere, she was admitted to Sloan Kettering, NYC in full blast crisis and kidney failure. She was immediately switched to sprycel and given chemo. She wound up in ICU--the sprycel made her lungs collect fluid and her kidneys were completely shut down. She was switched to tasigna, had the lungs drained, and was on dialysis. Bone marrow biopsy still showed blasts, so they started her on a low level of chemo, round 2. She had a miracle when her kidney function came back. Her latest biopsy is showing blasts at 5%.
After 11 weeks at Sloan, she is home. We met with the bone marrow tansplant specialist on Monday, and they are refusing to do a transplant!!! She has a 10/10 anonymous donor waiting and willing, her insurance gave the go-ahead, and this doctor is saying that she will not do a transplant because my Mom's kidneys had failed once they are afraid it could happen again. We are really upset. My Mom is 60 years old. This doctor stated that when my Mom is healthier, she would do it. Our fear is that right now we have the blasts down and in a "good" number, if we wait, the blasts could go out of control once again and the transplant will not be as sucessful. We feel that this is our window of opportunity for a transplant.
SHould we switch hospitals?? Anyone in the SLoan Kettering, NYC system that can recommend a doctor (I know they have multiple transplant doctors).?
ANY advice is welcome!!!!!! Mary Ann