7 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Since there has been discussion about chicken pox and live vaccines...

A while back I was told that for my son's next round of vaccinations, he will get a live vaccine.  I was told to stay away from them, but I am the only one who can take him to his Dr visit.  I have some questions.

1. Do all children's vaccines come in an inactive form?  (The office seemed to be against giving anything else but live).
  2. If someone else is able to take him, do I have to avoid being near him?  If so, how long?
  3. Why can't people with CML be near live vaccines (esp. if in CP where their immune systems are supposed to be OK)?

Thanks,

Tedsey 

#2 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi Tedsey, my granddaughter was born DOWNS & had three holes in her heart 3 and half years ago.She had the holes repaired at 11 weeks. She has had to have vaccines & flu shots every year. They have always  given her the shot  & NOT THE LIVE VACCINE. She goes to The Kings Daughters Childrens Hospital in VA.where she had her surgery. She has never had a problem with vaccines. My 2 sons were in the military & both had to have the LIVE VACCINES in a nasal spray & both were sick for a week after with flu symptoms! I guess it just depends on the doctors. Just wanted to share this with you. Take care, Granny d

#3 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hi Teds,

What is your son be vaccinated for?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

Here are some of the common live virus vaccines:

http://www.cancer.or...cancer-vaccines

Only if a person had a recent BMT should they be concerned.  You are not at risk.  And staying away from the location where the shots are administered is a ridiculous thing for a doc to tell you.

#5 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

It is the chicken pox vaccine called "varicella".  However, upon reading, since my son has horrible eczema, it may not be a good idea.  But I would hate to have him come down with chicken pox, but better younger than older.  Follow up vaccines are not usually offered to older kids, so he could still catch it in high school like his cousins (who all had the vaccine when younger).   I'll talk to the ped doc.

I had chicken pox, so if my t-cell memory is still good, and I have not progressed, I won't get it again, (but there is a nagging fear in the back of my mind because my PCR went up in Aug, though not significantly.  My next PCR is in Nov. around my 2 yr mark.  I am anxious to see if the numbers are on an upward trend, but I am so praying for MMR or at least staying a solid CCR).

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Trey.  My first onc was very adamant about me not being around any live vaccines.

#7 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

Wow, that's weird!  I can see not wanting someone with leukemia to take a live vaccine, but not be in the same room when it is administered?  Weird.

Does he HAVE to get a live vaccine?  Can you request a killed vaccine?  I think the response is generally thought to be better with those anyway.  True, he's young and afraid of needles most likely, but it's not that bad.  You'll have to make the call.

My dd has asthma, so cannot have live vaccines as a result.  All 3 of my kids get the needle - Em would be sooo upset if she was the only one getting stuck!  When they complain, I tell them that *I* have to get shots every other week for my allergies.  They think THEY have it hard!

Traci

P.S.  Funnily enough, it was my allergy shot that caused the huge hematoma that sent me to the doc, so here I am today taking Gleevec.  Hmm, I'll have to remind them that shots can actually be a good thing!

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi Teds,

We'll both be getting results in the same month - I'll be at sixteen months (October blood draw). I'll keep sending good vibes your way that your body has finally decided to move on to MMR.

There is a possiblity that we'll wind up with shingles down the track due to having chicken pox already. But it is strange that you're not supposed to be with your son while he is getting vaccinated. I'm not sure whether the vaccination is likely to cause an outbreak of chicken pox in your son straight away, and that is their concern?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users