• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi, well, my daughter-in-law ,27 yrs old, was diagnosed with chicken pox & we had been with each other each day for 4 days before she broke out. I contacted my onc at the Cleveland Clinic, was told to have a blood test, which has to be sent away, & started me on ACYCLOVIR for 3 weeks I think because of shingles!!!! I haven't started them yet, don't really like the thoughts of another medicine to have to take. Just had a PCR done last week & am CMR & all numbers are good. I just really wanted to know if anyone else has ever been in this situation or has taken this anti viral medicine??? Thanks for any help. Prayers to all, Granny d

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hi grannyd

I think a few of us have had chicken pox as kids (me included) so now have the potential to develop Shingles. Unfortunately it seems we can't have the Shingles vaccine due to it being a "live virus". Haven't had to take acylovir, but info is below.

"In the treatment of shingles, acyclovir reduces pain, shortens the healing time, and limits the spread of virus and the formation of new lesions. Acyclovir can be used to treat chicken pox and acts to reduce healing time, limit the number of lesions, and reduce fever if used within the first 24 hours after the onset of illness. Intravenous acyclovir is used for treating chicken pox in immuno-compromised patients.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and headache. Other reported side effects include agitation, confusion, rash, anemia, and muscle pain. Hypersensitivity reactions, seizures, agitation, confusion, anemia, hepatitis, and muscle pain have also been reported."

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

If you ever had chicken pox you will not get the disease again, since you never get rid of the virus.  The reason is that the virus goes dormant, living in your nerves, so it can express itself later as shingles in the nerve endings near the skin surface, often around the torso.  Shingles can result from your own internal chicken pox virus when it is re-activated, and the reasons for re-activation are not well known.  But I doubt that contact with someone else's chicken pox virus will lead to an eruption of shingles in you.  What your doc says does not make sense to me, and the literature does not support such a theroy of re-activation through contact with someone who has chicken pox or has been exposed to it.

And your immune system is just fine.  People with Chronic Phase CML have immune systems which work very well.  And especially after a deep response such as yours, your immune system is just as good as anyone else.

But if you want to take such a medication anyway it is unlikely to cause issues.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Herpes_zoster

#4 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Gerry L & Trey, Thank you both for the info & opinion. I think I will just hold off on the medicine, really don't want to take it. I guess if I come down with shingles I can always take it then. Thank you so much---I don't know what I would do without the help of the wonderful, giving people on this board!!! I remember back in Jan. when first told I had CML I felt so alone & scared!!!! Then I found this board & all the great people who have shared their experiences & so willing to help. To all the newbies, please know you have come to the right place to ask questions, vent, & know you will be heard & understood!!! Prayers to all Granny d

#5 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

My 2 year old son just got ChickenPox, my three year old son will probably get it soon too since they are in close contact all the time.

Since i am on 80% sick leave at the moment, i am the one staying at home watching him, anything i should be worried with?

My 2month counts last week were good, except for a bit low platelets.

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

Have you had chicken pox before?

#7 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yes.

PS: I called the Onc at the hospital now, and he said if i had it before it was nothing to worry about, lets hope he is right

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

A CML patient's immune system works just fine against the standard range of viruses, bacteria, etc.  The caveat is for those with extremely low blood counts (ANC below roughly .5), who should be somewhat more careful.  Otherwise, 2 people in the house with the sharts might be an issue for others around them.

#9 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

My ANC was 1.8 last time i checked, so should be good then

From urbandictonary:

"Sharts: a small, unintended defecation that occurs when one relaxes the anal sphincter to fart (blend of "shit" and "fart")"

Id also want to stay away from 2 people with that kind of thing

Anyway, thanks for the response, now an Onc and Trey have confirmed it is okay, i actually feel very safe around my "red dotted" kid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users