19 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hey Guys,

I know we normally talk a lot about PCR, FISH, and blood counts but I thought I would change things up a bit.  Has anyone seen higher Creatinine Serum levels after being on G or one of the other TKIs for a long time?  I've been PCRU for about 15 months now but my latest blood work has seen my Creatinine Serum level rise from a 1.3 average to 1.7.  What's interesting is my Creatinine BUN level is still well within the normal range.  So I guess if the darn Leukemia doesn't get me, my kidney's will shutdown instead. 

It's always something...

Anyway, my Onc seems to think giving up coffee, tea, and booze along with drinking more water will hopefully bring the levels back down to normal range.  the sacrifices never seem to end..

John 

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Do you take a Diuretic? Frank

#3 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

No, nothing other than my daily 400mg of G.  I'm going back in to give blood again on Monday.  Hopefully it turns out I just had too much coffee & red meat and not enough water when I gave blood for that last test.

#4 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

I can see giving up boozing, but Coffee!!!! That is just Crazy Talk! I worry about all the other test also, I track them so I can see how I am doing, but they jump around so much I am not sure what is going on. My Onc seems to think it is normal.

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

My onc has never been worried about Creatinin/BUN  (did I spell that right??).  He puts it down to dehydration and says "dont' be concerned."  So I haven't been.  I keep on drinking (too much) white wine. . .I have a glass in my hand right now.  'Course that said. . .I fired my oncologist. . .so I'm not sure that I should be relying on his advice.  Guess I'll have to see what the new onc thinks.

Marnie

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

That isn't much above normal.  Often these things are just blips that go back to normal.  These tests are not specific for one exact issue.  Some times it is just because you worked out hard the day before the test.  Who knows.  But this level would just be a watch and wait.  Also, I would not see a need to give up anything.  But if it is a choice among wine, women, and song, I would quit singing.

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

"Anyway, my Onc seems to think giving up coffee, tea, and booze along with drinking more water will hopefully bring the levels back down to normal range.  the sacrifices never seem to end"

Give up what?  coffee, tea and booze and drink water.  WATER.  Yeah right - and I suppose they want you to give up Cigars too.  Like the Montecristo white #3.  No way in hell.

Drink wine instead of water and you'll be fine.  And order a bottle - forget by the 'glass' - such a waste.

Take your wife out for a nice dinner and give her a kiss.  Your kidneys will work just fine. (maybe I'm thinking of a different organ... no ... it's a gland...yeah that's right - your glands will work just fine.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

Dear John,

I don't want to hurt your feelings but everytime I read your post I crack up. First of all when I started my reply I had to write Dear John.Then you wrote Creatine I thought that was the stuff that builds up in fireplaces. Oh God then when you wrote Creatine Buns, staying at a normal level I wish my buns could fight gravity. But you really pulled a good one talking about fish . I just picture you opening up a restaurant. Here's the Grand Opening Special.

GRAND OPENING SPECIAL

FRESH FISH FROM OUR LAB  1.3-1.7 FISH SANDWICHES

SERVED ON A FRESH NATURAL CREATINE BUN

SMOTHERED WITH CREATINE SERUM

COOKED OVER HOT CREASOLT COALS

COME INTO DEAR JOHN'S TODAY

OUR DRINK OF THE DAY IS FIRE YOUR ONC.

SINCERLY BILLIE

MY ONC SAYS DRINKING IN MODERATION

IS GOOD FOR YOU. AND IT LOWERS YOUR

BLOOD PRESSURE!

Message was edited billie

Stand by for our fresh made desserts  Sour dough dear john deserts,,100% pure lemon parfaits

Message was edited by: billronm@roadrunner.com

#9 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Ha! Is it wrong if that sandwich sounds delicious?

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hi Pin,

It doesn't sound bad to me. Now you have to help me come up with a dessert.

We'll have to take notes from all these posts. Your Friend Billie

#11 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

I totally agree with all of you guys, so...

Back on the menu:

1) Wine

2) Women (Actually, this was never off the menu, but wanted to make sure it was listed as on the menu! )

3) Cigars

4) and of course Coffee (I agree, totally crazy to give up coffee...)

Off the menu:

1) Singing (don't worry, this is actually a long standing request from my wife too. Something about sounding like a dying cat and all...)

2) Working out and caffeine (just for the night before giving blood)

Dessert Menu:

1) Would love to try the 100% pure lemon parfaits, not so sure about the creatine sandwiches...

Thanks guys,

John

#12 bull

bull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

What a coincidence , I also got lab work back a few weeks ago and it showed my creatinine level  " High" , although only slightly it was 1.4 , the normal range states 0.6 - 1.3 . It also showed a separate test for Bun which was 19  within normal range (  7 - 25 ) . I am also on Gleevec for almost 3 years, PCRU for 14 months. I have my quarterly onc visit next week and I will bring it to his attention to see what he says. I'll keep you posted. 

P.S.  menu sounds great , do I need reservations at the new restaurant ?   LOL 

#13 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

Dear Bull,

Oboy you guys are killing me I'm supposed to take Dear John and Dear Bull seriously? All we need is Marnies Moose and we can have a a party. Get your minds out of the gutters guys. Pin I know you're lurking around the corner.Bull no reservation necessary, just bring those creatine buns with you free drinks for everybody.

lol Billie

#14 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

Dear Marnie,

Dehydration is not an option,wine is a cure.  How come if we say white wine it's acceptable but if we say red wine we have to drink it out of a brown paper bag and sit on a park bench, and tell everybody we're Italian?                  lol Billie

ps. You should see all the creatine buns I see sitting on those park benches. And I'm Irish

#15 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

Dear John,

Okay you started this. But if we're going to open a restaurant you have to change your name.My first husband his name was John died in 1993, my son's name is John, my grandson is named John, 2 of our best friends names are John and my son-in-law is named John. I am surrounded by Johns I can't even put a red light bulb in my lamp post at Christmas Time or the State Cops are all over the place even my cousin Scott who is a State Cop I have Johns all around me Thank God My Husbands name is Ron and my cocker spaniel is named Annie you get my drift?

I think Corkey would be a good name for you. I bet you're lovely wife would like it. We would love to hear from her ask her to jump in anytime. Thats why we are here it's not a gloom and doom site it's a support site and she sure needs some support. All our spouses need it.  But we have to live with cml but we can't live without a sense of humor. Okay make a list of chocolate desserts and I'll order the booze.      Yours Truly Billie

#16 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Dear Bull, I almost missed this,

Let me see if I got this right, creatine level slightly high but bun level normal, add Gleevac ,pcru 14 months, Nope no reservations we all want to see this for ourselves.  Billie

#17 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Good news!!!!

I followed all of your advice and quit singing, had a glass of wine, and my creatinine serum dropped back down to 1.29.

I'm normal again!!!!  ...except for maybe the whole leukemia thingy...

John

#18 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

Dear John, (still cracks me up every time)

I hope you took a picture of those creatine buns, or was it bull with the buns,and you with the serum? And what happened to Pin? You guys got me all confused now.

Congratulations on your good news. Do you promise that when we open the restaurant,and have karioke you won't relapse and start singing red red wine.Your Wife will probably raise those serum levels back up real quick.  Enjoy the wine.

Think about it John were any of us really NORMAL!   Sincerely Billie

#19 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

Michaels hitting the sauce again! I wonder if he puts his curcucumber powder in it?

#20 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

Mmm curcucumber... I'm still here, Billie you crack me up!

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users