• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Txmom.4

Txmom.4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

I have read a few things on here about pros/cons of am or pm.  Does anyone have any advice, I'm sure it will depend on me, but wondered what others have experienced.  Thanks.

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Dear Txmom,

The nice thing about sprycel is you can take it anytime with or without food. I take mine around lunchtime because I like to space my other meds apart. Whichever is most convienient for you. Take care

Billie

#3 SB3

SB3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

It really is up to you. I've decided to take mine at dinnertime. My reasoning was that if I had any immediate gastro-related side effects, I could just go to bed and (hopefully) feel better in the morning. I've only been on it two days, though, so it's too early to tell how my strategy is working. I've had no reaction as of yet. One thing that is important is not to take a calcium supplement within two hours of taking Sprycel. Since I've always taken my calcium supplement in the morning, that seemed like another good reason to take Sprycel in the evening.

#4 Samcerly

Samcerly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

I take mine before bed every night.

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

I take mine at 7:00 p.m.  Got into the habit with Gleevec. . .needed to eat it with a big meal, and preferred end of day because of GI issues.  With Sprycel, I have no side effects, but just stayed with the 7:00 habit because I was used to it.  That said. . .morning might be better, because sometimes when I have an evening schedule that isn't typical, it's much easier to forget.  During parent-teacher conferences last Thursday, I didn't have a break from 4:00 until 8:00 p.m., and ended up taking my pill after I got home, well after 8:30.  I'm considering switching to morning, just because it's a less chaotic schedule.  Of course, then you have to consider how consistent you are about wake up time.  Weekdays I'm up at 5:30, week ends and summers, more like 7:00. . .

Any time works, but try to find a time that you can be consistent with so that it's easy to remember.

Marnie

#6 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I found that taking them at night was preferrable, if I took them in the morning, I sleep all day.  If I take them too late at night, they keep me awake all night.  Sigh.  So now I take it with dinner.  I have a pill dispenser (I think that Bristol Meyers sent it to me), which I have found indespensible (pun intended!).  I have only forgotten to take the pill twice in a whole year.  But before using the dispenser, spent many hours counting pills and days and trying to remember if I had taken the darn thing. 

Now I just look at the pill dispenser. 

And I have to say, both times I missed it, I woke up feeling so terrific, that I knew something was wrong.  One of them was just last week.  I have been out of the house for 3 weeks caring for different family members all over the country who are having problems.  I woke up at Aunt Fay's house and felt so wonderful, full of happy energy.  I just knew I had forgotten to take the pill.  Big sigh.  Swallowed it with breakfast, got sleepy.  Back to normal.  The new normal. 

Happy to be home!

Caroline

#7 stuharrisonsf

stuharrisonsf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have been on Sprycel for 5 weeks and I also take it at lunchtime.  I like the fact that I feel clear headed in the mornings, and I feel like this is my time "outside the control of the meds."  This way the side effects don't begin to build up until mid afternoon.  What I call my "championship gas" can be a little challenging if I have company for dinner but my partner, bless him, takes it in stride.  For sure, sprycel demands that I take a 15 minute nap mid afternoon, but that's all it takes, just 15 minutes, and the fatigue is over.  Hope this helps.

Stu

#8 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Stu. . .you have no idea how you made my day.  I was surely hoping that the gas was the Sprycel and not just me!!  It hasn't yet been a problem as a full-time middle school teacher, but I am waiting for the day. . .

Marnie

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

I started taking Sprycel at night before bed with the thought I would sleep off most of the side-effects.  Maybe it is just wishful thinking.  Anyway, Cheryl-Anne from Canada, who writes on this board, mentioned something about our circadian rhythm and taking a TKI in the evening may be most beneficial.  I have been trying to find the link to this conversation, but I have not had luck.  If I come across it, I will post it.

Teds  

#10 stuharrisonsf

stuharrisonsf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Marnie:  The gas is a killer!  I like to consider it my way of sharing the delights of my diagnosis with friends.   I have not been able to find much advice about it on this board, or online in general.  I'm not lactose intolerant, but I have switched to soy milk and stopped eating yogurt, ice cream and cheese, and that seemed to help a bit.  I also take two Lactaid Ultra pills AND a CVS Gas Relief Ultra (simethicone) with each sprycel.  It seemed to sort it for a day or two.  Now I'm back to my normal gaseous state...  At least as a middle school teacher you can keep a straight face and imply it's one of the teens...  My next stop is charcoal tablets.  Very unappetising.  Then it's giving up potatoes....  Oy.

#11 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

I REFUSE to give up cheese.   Umm. . .cheese. . . .

(I am happy to report that I have not yet needed to resort to your suggestion in the classroom, though I am sure that the day will come. . .)

#12 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

I couldn't help myself. . .I went to the fridge and sliced off a hunk of Jarlsburg.  Yum.

#13 Stevo

Stevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi TxMom,

For what its worth, I was Dx Jan 6 of this year, and I have been on Sprycel since then.

I take mine in the mornings because I decided that was the most consistent time of my day... I always have coffee in the morning... so I keep my S right by my coffee cups... no coffee until I swallow that pill.

My nights are sometimes chaotic due to my own bad habits...

Yea, I might be a little gassy or a little sleepy now and then during the day, but no biggy as long as I keep moving...

good luck...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users