#1 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ok CML men out there ... do any of you all take Saw Palmetto (or perhaps another supplement?) for prostate health in conjunction with a TKI (I'm on Gleevec).  Wanted to get thoughts and what's safe to take with Gleevec.

Thanks in advance!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#2 akjones

akjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm taking Saw Palmetto with Tasigna, started last week. Checked all the references online and could not find any warnings about interactions. Started very slowly, 1 pill per day. Up to 2 now, normal dose is 4 per day. Not seeing any problems, seem to be getting a small amount of symptom relief (longer intervals between having to pee!).

Andy

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

I have this .pdf published in Sept 2010 by the CML society of Canada; it has a list of drugs and herbs and foods, etc., to avoid with TKIs because they could cause increases or decreases in the TKI or the other drug, etc.  Saw Palmetto is on there as "may either increase or decrease".  On the side it says, "More studies are needed to determine the exact effects."

So, I don't know what all that means, but it's just an FYI.  It has green tea in the same section so I'm not sure how much I believe it...

#4 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

See the Journal of The American Medical Association, 9-28-11 re Saw Palmetto. It is of no value. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users