• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim76

Tim76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

I might be jumping the gun a little, but I have an interview for a new job in a few days. I know that if I am offered the job, it will be contingent on passing a physical. I'm in great shape, other than the CML. Very manageable side effects from Sprycel and I'm PCRU. With the HIPAA Privacy Rules, what would I have to disclose to a physician. Historically my RBC and Hemoglobin numbers are just slightly below the normal scale, but that's it. I know we're not lawyers, but we have a lot of people with some great knowledge and experiences. Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

What does the physical involve?  Is it lifting, running, etc.?  Is there a blood draw involved?  If not, no real worries.  If so, and it comes back "abnormal", they cannot deny you a job because of a "blood disorder",  especially if CML has never interfered with your cognitive processes or physical abilities.  If you can prove that you were denied this position because of your CML, then you could take legal action against the employer.  Such is what the attorney I live with says, (this is not his area of expertise, but, he said it is illegal for them to discriminate against you because of your CML).  And you do not have to disclose anything.

At slightly low, your RBC and low HGB numbers indicate some anemia.  I would guess that this may be cause for alarm if the job requires endurance.  Anemia can interfere with that.  But in your case, it appears to have no impact.  A physical endurance test will probably prove that. (I am probably much lower than you at HGB 9 to 10 and I can run, and be physically active with no problems.  I chase two toddlers, literally and daily----for example, our unexpected exercise today was running across a huge soccer field and back at least 4 times, pretend we got locked in jail by the police, then escape and run over the border to Canada to freedom--we were innocent!!!!).

Take a look at this, your situation could (but I hope not) apply here: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html.  Although this story is a bit different than yours, the issue is really the same.  It deals with disclosing a "chronic illness" to an employer, etc.  http://www.lawcrossi...ntial-Employer/

Wish we didn't have to worry about any of this crap.  I wish you the best,

Teds       

#3 Tim76

Tim76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

Wow. Thanks for some good advice. I guess we do have some lawyers (or lawyer's family members) on this site. Just some clarifications. I don't feel like I have any limitations because of my CML. I work out at a gym on a regular basis. My CBC numbers are very close. For example, I think my lab has normal HGB as 14.0 to 17.0 and mine is consistently about 13.7 to 13.9. In fact my family physician mentions every year that I am in great shape, except for the CML with things like cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

I don't know exactly what the physical will entail. This will be a white collar job, which I actually did about ten years ago and there is only a small amount of physical activity.

I applied for a similar job about two or three years ago and was told by some current employees of that company that I aced the interview. When the company called one of my references, who is a very close friend, he said great things about me and then added that it was surprising, considering I had CML. He said the HR person on the phone got silent.

I didn't get the job and to my knowledge, the opening was never filled due to the economy. This friend felt bad, but there is no way I could ever prove that the company didn't hire me because of CML.

If anyone else has some personal experiences in this matter, I would love to hear their stories.

#4 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

Well my sister has a different chronic disease - a connective tissue disorder which affects her ability to write so she uses voice recognition. When she was hired by a large Australian university she didn't disclose her condition. She then needed some relatively minor (<1% of her salary) accommodations her boss did everything to get rid of her and kept at it even though my sister won teaching awards and research fellowships. I work at a different large Australian university and my boss/ department couldn't have been more accommodating, even though I have struggled in the first 6 months since dx.  So we see that some people can't get over their preconceptions about chronic illness, sometimes even despite overwhelming evidence of productivity. We also see two apparently similar workplaces from the outside but two very different responses to chronic illness. I certainly wouldn't disclose anything at interview stage. However, if you get a good workplace having them know about your CML can be great, sometimes I think they hang out for my PCR results almost as much as I do.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users