10 replies to this topic

#1 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

Four o'clock Friday afternoon, starting to pack ready to go away for the bank holiday weekend (with a bit of extra holiday tagged on) and what's the most important thing of all to pack?  My Glivec of course, those lovely, little,  brown, magic tablets that live on the dining room table to help me remember to take them.  A quiet day working from home, looking forward to going away, stress level 0.2%.

Only three tablets left in that particular blister pack, but that's okay because there's another pack in the box. There's another pack in the box.  I know there's another pack in the box.  I'm sure there was another pack in the box. Stare into empty box.  Turn it upside down and shake it just in case they are there, but temporarily invisible.  Stress level 3.8%.

Go to medicine cupboard to get next box.  Can't see them.  Stress level 139.6%.  Search thoruoughly through medicine cupboard.  Get chair to stand on to search through medicine cupboard. Scream.  Stress level 18,365.4%

Call doctor's secretary to find out why I've heard nothing about my prescription since talking to doctor 2 weeks earlier.  '... is not available and you cannot leave a message after the tone.  Please call back later'  Stress level 26,872%.  Call main hospital switchboard and ask to be put through.  '... is not available and you cannot leave a message after the tone.  Please call back later'  Stress meter goes critical.

Call hospital pharmacy (who normally call me to tell me my drugs are ready for collection).  Sorry, you need the chemotherapy department, we'll put you through.  Sorry, no, we don't have a prescription for you - we have't received anything from Dr xxx.  Which day did she write it?  Refrain from screaming ' how the @!$£%£ £$"% should I know!'

Stress meter starts to flash and klaxons go off.

We'll take your number and call you back.

Wait

Wait

Neighbouring villages evacuated by emergency services who fear stress meter will go into meltdown and take out all life for a radius of several miles.

Phone goes.  Trample childrens' toys, furniture, etc to get to it.

Mr Bxxx? Yes.

It's so and so from Sx hospital pharmacy.  Yes (I know, I recognise the voice, get on with it!)

We spoke earlier  Yes. (get on with it!!!)

About your prescription for, pause to refer to notes, Glivec. Yes (get on with it before I tear your leg off and beat you to death with the wet end)

We did get your prescription 2 weeks ago. (Yippee!!!!)

And?

We filled it and sent it to your GP's practice.  Silence

And why exactly did you do that when you haven't done it in the last 2 years?

We always do it.

No you don't, someone always calls me and I come and collect it from the hospital pharmacy.

That's strange.  I never call you.  I wonder who does?

Grrrrr.

Drive like mad thing to surgery to get there before it closes for the long weekend.

Queue up at dispensary.

Receive prescription.

Get back in car

Stop to buy doughnuts on way home.

Mmmm.

#2 jwbwater

jwbwater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

Gleevec and doughnuts, yummy!

#3 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Gleevec + doughnuts + time off = Welcome back to 0.2% stress level.

Yikes, what a story....

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#4 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Nothing like that extra stress eh? Hope they were good doughnuts and the weekend off is great :)

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#5 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Oh Phil!  Sorry for the stress but hope the donuts helped!  I remember when I was first diagnosed and was handed my first script after waiting and waiting and waiting for bmb results to confirm unofficial diagnosis.  I went to 13 different pharmacies before I found one that had 5 gleevec pills in stock.  I kept thinking about my rising wbc and feeling like I was on the worst scavenger hunt ... for chemotherapy!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Thanks for sharing your great sense of humor with us.

Nat

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

Phil,

Hope you enjoy your holiday, heaven knows you deserve a stress free one after that experience! If you are anything like me, and I truly hope you aren't, as a control freak I would not trust these people for a very long time, if ever, to get things right! That would be the worst part of it for me!

As if life isn't stressful enough...

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 Skittles

Skittles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

OH MY!  Bless your little heart...!!  That was awful but thankfully all worked out well. I hope you have the best holiday Phil!  Skittles

#8 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Oh my gosh you deserve wine, donuts and a few extra days of vacay just for that experience. I'm still laughing over, "beat you to death with the wet end"! Relax and enjoy

#9 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Donuts?  I'd have been hitting the liquor store on the way home!

Glad you got it all straightened out without ruining your holiday.

I have to admit, the stories I hear here makes me really appreciate the oncology pharmacy at the hospital.  They called me this week to find out if I needed my pills.  I called them back.  I had 10 days left and was planning to call them on Friday about it.  But they informed me I didn't have any refills left, and I wasn't aware of it at all!  So they called my onc's NP to get a new script for me.  I love them!  They're more on the ball with my meds than I am!

Have a nice relaxing trip, Phil - you earned it!

Traci

#10 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Dang!!  I was wondering what all the excitement was about when I heard those klaxxons go off the other night.  Then the fighter jets started flying over, heading easterly and I knew it must be something critical.   Glad they got those donuts delivered in a timely manner, though I saw one of the pilots licking the powdered sugar off his fingers, so I think you might have been short a donut or two.

Had they flown a little lower, I could have tossed them my leftover Gleevec.  I've got a bit from when I switched to Sprycel.

But they seemed to be in a hurry.  I guess they heard there was a crazy man in the London area, who was about to explode.

Hope you have a very relaxing and fun holiday!

Marnie

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Phil, Remember the song MaMa said thered be days like this. I bet those were the best doughnuts you ever had.

Have a wonderful vacation and bring back lots of stories.  I always said you should write childrens books.     Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users