Photo

Anybody start with Tasigna and then go to Gleevec?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dsrwbr4536

Dsrwbr4536

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

So after 3 months or so my husband is not tolerating Tasigna very well. His counts are great and I think from what I can figure out he has had  almost a 2 log reduction. But now the onc is switching him to Gleevec and I am worried. Especially since he has been progressing on Tasigna. I feel like it is going backwards. Has anyone else done this? I am really worried that the g side effects will be worse or his blood results will get worse. Any encouraging words?

#2 CDW

CDW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

can you share how he's not tolerating the tasigna? you must be uncertain about the move,especially if he's doing so well otherwise. I would be uncertain in your shoes too, but Gleevec has done wonders for many people out there for a long time.

#3 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Gleevec may not have the same marketing budget as Tasigna any more, but it's still a brilliant drug so there's no need to worry about 'going backwards'.  If he's getting a good result on Tasigna the odds are very strong indeed that he will have a good result on Gleevec too.  The side effects may well be better in which case yippee.  If they're not then you can always go back to Tasigna (assuming the Tasigna side effects weren't life-threatening) or try Sprycel or try a reduced dose of one of the drugs, or one of the new drugs coming on line, etc, etc ,etc.  The bottom line is that most of us are now in the wonderful position that if we need to we can shop around to find the drug that gives us the best quality of life.  If that drug happens to be Gleevec then so much the better as it comes off patent first!

Phil

#4 cometbro

cometbro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

I switched about a month and a half ago from Tasigna to Gleevec because of really bad acid reflux.  My last PCR did go up about 2 logs but the Onc attributes that to me having a 3 week break off TKI before going to Gleevec.  He also says Gleevec works a little slower so I should be a little more patient when seeing the results.  My side effects seem to have toned down as far as reflux but the last few days it's crept back in.  Maybe because I've gone back to eating spicy foods?  Maybe cause I also stopped the PPIs?  I'll give it a bit more time and l lay off the spicy foods and see how that works out.

I will let you know when I get my next PCR if the Gleevec is working.  Everyone seems to believe there is no reason it should not work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users