#1 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hi:  I was wondering how many people get the flu shot.  I get it every year, and last year I was deathly sick for a week.  They had also given me the Pneumonia Shot at the same time, as I had not had one for a very long time.  I have gotten a little fever and achy after the Flu Shot, but nothing really bad till last year.

I would like to know if anyone else gets sick from the shot,which does not have a active virus in it.  Once I get over the few days of feeling yucky, I am good for the whole season to fight off the Flu.

Susan

#2 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

I get the flu shot every year and have never felt ill from it, but I know that some people do.  This year I had mine was just before I was diagnosed, so I'll be interested to see if anything is different next time I get it.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#3 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

I never got the shot before diagnosis.  So am not inclined to get it now. 

Caroline

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi, Susan,

I also get the flu shot every year but I haven't gotten the pneumonia shot, yet. Maybe getting the two of them together was the problem. I've never had any reaction other than a sore arm.

I want to know more about the shingles vaccination. I understand that isn't recommended because they use a live virus. Anyone had that post dx?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

My Dr. wants me to get a flu shot every year & so far I've not had any problems.  My ex-PCP gave me a shingles vaccination the first year after my CML dx. notice the "EX-PCP", he quickly realized that it should not have been given to me. I never went back to him, luckily there were not any complications from the live vaccination.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hi, Susan, . .

I used to get a flu shot pretty regularly, though some years went without.  After diagnosis, I got the shot the first year, and didn't get one last year.  I've never noticed much difference one way or the other, so I don't think I'm going to get one this year.  I am around germy kids all of the time, and I've actually been LESS sick since diagnosis.  Probably because I'm more conscious about keeping hands clean, not touching my face, and if I start to get sick, I baby myself more than I used to.

Marnie

#7 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

I don't think its possible to get the flu from the inactivated vaccine. It is however possible that you get sick after the flu vaccine, it is after all a time of year when lots of people get sick. http://www.cdc.gov/f.../qa/flushot.htm

I have gotten sick after the flu shot but no more than I've gotten sick after other annual events and to be blunt the flu shot isn't just all about me, it's also for those people around me who can't cope with flu. Most of us CMLers have fully functional immune systems but you only have to flick over to the other "living with..." or the "my child has cancer" boards to see people who could really benefit from an increase in heard immunity to flu.

I hope I don't offend anybody by saying that, I know that there are personal/medical reason why some people don't get some/all vaccines.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#8 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

Susan,

My oncologist strongly suggests (almost requires) his CML patients to get a flu shot.  I have never had the pneumonia shot. I had never had a flu shot until my dx but did not have any reaction.

I hope you are well,

Nat

#9 Stevea

Stevea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

I have never had either shot in my life but 3 years after I was diagnosed I got pneumonia and I was in the hospital for a week with 105 fever.  I was blackout, I don't remember anything.  I haven't been sick since then and that was almost 7 years ago (knock on wood).

I don't plan on getting any shots.

#10 Skittles

Skittles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

I do get the flu shot and so far (knock on wood) only became ill after the first one.  I think everyone responds differently.  I have never had the pneumonia shot so cannot comment on that.  Here's hoping everyone stays healthy this winter with or without the shots!  Skittles

#11 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

I love queuing up with the old folks to get my flu shot each year.  It's one of the few places where I still get to feel young!

#12 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Pretty funny Phil. 

#13 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi Pat:  I read an article that people with any type of Leukemia should not get a Shingles Vaccination.  I would probably have not read the article, except a friend of mine was looking into getting the shot.  The Shingles Subject has been coming up a lot lately.  Maybe someone else has something to share on that.

Susan

#14 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Phil:  I knew I would get a smart answer from you.  I just went to a funeral on Tues for my cousin who died of Lung Cancer, and I did not recognize anyone as they all got so old looking, and have not seen them in years.  They are all healthy Thank God, but when I walked into the funeral parlor everyone recognized me.  I told my Husband I guess I do not look as bad as I think even though I gained a lot of weight.

#15 Tenderheart

Tenderheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

I have read that immunocompromised people should probably get the flu vaccine but not the live vaccine

#16 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ahh, but there's the rub. I've been told by both of my physicians that we are not considered immunocompromised just because we have CML.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#17 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

I have gotten the flu shot every year since being diagnosed with cml....no problem.  I was told by my onc. to not get the pneumonia shot

#18 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

I had Pneumonia twice, and the second time my Oncologist insisted I get the shot.  I really think getting the two shots together was not a good thing for me, but, it could be no problem for someone else.  That is why I asked.  I always get that feeling like I am getting the flu after my shots every year, but it usually passes in a day.  I usually run a low grade temp too, but I am going to get it again this year as I feel it has protected me from picking up the bug during the season. Thank You for all the responses.  I guess it just effects me differently than others.  I do not tolerate medications very well either.  It took them forever to find the right blood pressure medication for me also.  I have actually passed out from a Blood Pressure Medication in the past.

Susan

#19 Girla

Girla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

I asked my oncologist 3 weeks ago about the shingles shot. (Im 64, Dx'd in April 2011 & on Gleevec, 400 mg). He said not to get it, that it wasnt worth messing with my immunity right now. I am doing well on Gleevec, no problems & blood counts have returned to normal. I also have been taking Zoloft for 10 years so I have very little stress, which I think is a factor in shingles. You should ask your oncologist what he thinks about the shingles vaccine for YOU.It many be different for everyone.

#20 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

HI:  I am getting the flu shot, but not even thinking about the vaccine for shingles.  I was on Zoloft for quite awhile, but then I stopped it  a little over a year ago.

I have thought of going back on it due to a lot of stress I have been dealing with.

Its true everyone is different,and every doctor has a different outlook on things in general.  You have to do what you feel confident with in the end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users