• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

I just started Sprycel 8/18/11 The first night was kind of like a nightmare. At 2:00am I woke up with my body very agitated, hot, hard to breath and pain in my back. Since then I have had a headache all day every day. Does anyone have anything that helps with this? I almost feel like I can't function through the day. I have forced myself to do a few things but I am feeling sick to my stomach at times with this headache.

Thank you for any help with what to take I have tried ibuprofen it's not helping.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Sounds like what a lot of folks experience when starting Sprycel.  It almost always gets much better within a week or two.  If you can focus on getting through this initial period (should be short duration) you will be in a much better place very soon.  Not minimizing your pain, because it is real.  But it does require some short term determination to get through it.

#3 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thank you Trey I have read a lot about this but looking for something to make it bearable. I guess I will just have to wait for a week or two so it will subside. Again thank you for your response. This is all new to me I was just diagonsed with CML on 8/4/11.

CathyS

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Dear Cathy,

I switched to Sprycel last Nov. Oh boy I remember the headaches.They gradually ease up within 2 weeks. The only thing that helped me was ibuprofin liquid caplets.They also seem to be easier on the stomache. I started on Gleevac 3 years ago and the gi issues were pretty bad for me. After going through that for 3 years I prefer the headaches. Hang in there I know it's rough.But compared to the alternative it's a blessing  Just give your body time .I hate to say it but welcome to the club nobody wants to join.Everyone is so wonderful and understanding and any question you have no matter what someone will be able to help you. If you need to vent this is the place to do it. We have all been through what you are going through right now. you're still in the shock stage probably talking to yourself and saying how in the hell did I get this? In a couple weeks you'll feel a lot better than you do now. But we all have to deal with this disease and the side-effects from our meds, not anything like you're going through now just annoying things and most of us have a problem with fatigue.And a lot of us have no side-effects at all. You will get no sympathy because you will look so healthy. And feel like crap. Every once in a while we'll have a day where we aren't sick just feel yukky.Like we used to have before but now we have a name for it. Those are the days when you run into friends and family and snobs,and they say but you look so healthy, take a deep breath and run these people down like a Pittsburg Steeler Linebacker. Then say well I gotta go, by the way you all look so good and healthy for your age.

Then go to the liquor store and buy yourself a big jug of wine

Yours Truly Billie

#5 CathyS

CathyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

Thank you Billie

My headache has already gotten a little better it's still there but not quite as bad. I may try the ibuprofen liquid caps. I am still in the not quite believing that I was diagnosed with leukemia, our son passed away many years ago with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Now on thop of that my husband was just told yesterday that he has colon cancer in a polyp that was just removed, now we have to see a colon surgeon for a consultation. So now my headaches may be for other things beside my CML.

Thanks for letting me share this.

I agree with some of the comments that people make, like "I know a lot of people with it and they are fine" my husband says to answer some with "You don't look to bad for the shape you're in".

The wine thing sounds good to.

God Bless

Cathy S

#6 cleocans

cleocans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

I was started on Sprycel.  I used to get my headaches at about 5 am every morning.  They would usually last only a couple of hours.  Mine only lasted 4 or 5 days though.  I did start Sprycel the same time as my bmb so the advil may have helped with the headaches too.

Kim

#7 mmdojr

mmdojr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Cathy,

I was reading your posts from this last summer and I have to say that I hope everything is turning for the better. I myself have lost family members to cancer, got cml in 2006, and my father had his prostate removed due to cancer.

It seems that longer we live now the more we become food for cancer.

Well, I hope all is well and I hope your recovery is speeding along. I was diagnosed and put on gleevec more than five years ago and I am doing well. I am thinking of switching to sprycel due to the side effects.

How has your adjustment to sprycel been going?

Take care and hope you and your family are doing well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users