• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tenderheart

Tenderheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

I have just started on Zofran 4 mg tablets and it is wonderfully helping my nausea. I have been taking it with dinner with my Gleevec. I am so happy to say it is finally helping after all the months of struggle with nausea.

However, I have finally concluded the Zofran is causing insomnia...it is like I have had a strong cup of coffee in the evening, can't sleep until well into the night. That is taking its toll.

I hate to stop the Zofran. Anyone had this problem, and anyone have any suggestions?????

Thanks. 

#2 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

If you only take zofran with Gleevec and not at other times of the day you could move it all to the morning. Nobody wants to change their routine but could be worth a try.

Another possibility is that the gleevec itself is going through an insomnia side effect phase, I'm pretty sure it is listed as a side effect. It could also be the combination of the two drugs but you are obviously combining them for a reason. How long does the zofran last for - would it be possible to take it an hour or two before gleevec and still squash the nausea but then be a little less wired at bed time.

One other thing is do you need to take it every day? My nausea is mild enough that I don't need it every day and can get away with taking the antiemetic as soon as I start feeling yuck and it still works.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#3 Tenderheart

Tenderheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the help on my question, jjg. I had to stop the Zofran after all. I tried to take it earlier, say at noon. I even tried to take it first thing in the morning. It truly does help my nausea more than any other medication. But what I had of nighttime insomnia became daytime nervousness--which by the way IS a listed side effect. Guess it just isn't an option for me. Thanks again for your help. Donna

#4 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Sorry to hear Zofran isn't your magic pill. Nausea is one of those side effects that doctors can sometimes brush off but these drugs are for the rest of our (long) lives so nausea is not a small thing.

If I remember correctly you were PCRU for some years and still taking 600mg. There was a discussion recently about lower doses after long stable PCRU readings. Trey even "outed" himself as a low doser.

http://community.lls...e/112171#112171

There was a time (before I was dx) that CML patients were so grateful to be alive we accepted the side effects. Of course we remain grateful but treatments and knowledge of the disease is evolving and you do have options beyond the 600mg of Glivec that is causing you so much trouble. If your doc will not consider reducing your dose or switching to 2nd generation drugs I'd be going a 2nd opinion.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users