8 replies to this topic

#1 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

OK so I've been on Sprycel for 10 days. Friday it started to hurt to take a deep breath and when I did I would cough. Saturday, when I pressed between my ribs it was extremely painful and the same for the same spot on my back. Today I went to the ER afraid it could be possible pleural effusion. They immediately did an EKG, and the Dr. heard crackling in my lower lungs. They did an xray. No fluid and not sign of any collapsed lung. My counts actually came back better than ever. WBC 5,000 Red all in order, even my MCV was lower than ever when I was on Gleevec. So if this isn't pleural effusion, and there is no sign of it, what the heck is going on? I get out of breath just walking to my mailbox and back or up my stairs. Is this a side effect of Sprycel? Has anyone else had this and no fluid in the chest? I am just frustrated now. Although I like Sprycel much better than Gleevec for side effects, this is just one that has me guessing.

Lynne

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Lynne,

Hope you are feeling better.  I had a small amount of pleurisy when I had an E. Coli infection years ago.  It was just a tiny bit of shadow on the bottom of the Xray.  But it hurt like the dickens when I moved too much.

So, maybe you have a tiny bit of fluid, or maybe the area is just in general swollen with no real pocket of fluid.  The swelling alone could cause pain.  (Took a good 6-8 wks to recede for me.)  Not sure how swelling would look on an X ray.

Keep an eye on it, and definitely call your doc by Monday if not better.

Traci

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Lynne,

I'm sorry you're going through this. If you aren't better by tomorrow I would ask for another x-ray while you are lying down. I've heard some PEs can be difficult to find and the different position brings them out.

Your symptoms are very indicative of PE or at the very least telling you something is wrong.

Hope you are doing better soon.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Lynne,

The term "pleural effusion" means fluid accumulation around the outside of the lung(s), but Sprycel can cause more than just this one specific issue.  It can also cause fluid inside the air sacs (alveoli), temporary thickening of lung tissue, and other abnormalities.  The "crackling sound" seems significant to me, and should have alerted your doc to look for these other issues.  All of these should likely require a drug holiday, and the problem will often resolve itself.

Read this (and show your doc):

http://ajrccm.atsjou...short/176/8/814

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackles

#5 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Lynne,

I get a bit of a "crackling/wheezing" from time to time.  This happened after Sprycel from almost the beginning.  On occasion, I have trouble breathing, but it usually passes.  My onc heard it in my lungs, but does not feel it is PE.  I would hate to think I have developed asthma this late in life, but anything is possible.  I have been on Sprycel almost a year.

Take care.  I hope this issue gets resolved soon,

Tedsey

#6 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Trey,

I printed all of that out for my Dr. unfortunately I am her only patient on Sprycel. I am set to got to see Dr. Druker in October. I got the whole, well EKG was good, no heart attack and and..............you look good. so you can be discharged. Sigh.

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

#7 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Dear Lynne,

I have been on Sprycel since October '10.  When I first started, they kept testing me because I was so short of breath, and couldn't seem to take a deep breath.  It got better, and seems to only happen now once every couple of months, and usually only when I have pushed myself too hard.  It was not PE, and my oxygen levels never got all that low....my onc said it was a side effect of the drug. 

So yes, someone else has experienced what you are going through.  It is scary.  But it goes away. 

Let me know if I can give you any other details of what it is like to live with Sprycel.

Caroline

#8 vran37

vran37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi Lynne,

I found a medical study that was done on the tolerability of Sprycel (Dasatinib). In the study, researchers found that Sprycel is associated with side effects such as thrombocytopenia, gastrointestinal symptoms, headaches, and pleural effusion. The most common side effect is myelosuppression. The research indicates that shallowness of breath could occur but is the result from the pleural effusion, which can cause fluid to build up around the lungs. I know the doctor said that there's no sign of fluid in your lungs now, but could your being out of breath be a lasting effect from a previous experience with pleural effusion, that wasn't detected?

Also, I have been looking around and can't find any studies that mention patients on Syprycel experiencing shortness of breath without the presence of a pleural effusion, but I'll keep looking, and send it your way if I find anything!

Here's the link to the study I mentioned in the beginning of my post

https://www.medify.c...aign=intlgst-v1

#9 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

Great thanks so much

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users