Photo

WBC dropped from 65000 to 2200 in just a little over a month - newly diagnosed with CML

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LoriC14

LoriC14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Just diagnosed with CML on 6/29/11 - put on SpryCel in July... finished my 34th pill.  My WBC has dropped from 65000 to 2200 and I am told to stop meds.  Nervous I will get a new med and have to go through acclimation - anyone else have this problem?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Sounds fairly standard.  Women especially have this problem.  A short break may reset the issue well enough, or several short breaks may be needed.  Probably should ask your Onc if you can re-start at a lower dosage.  No reason to think a change in drugs will be needed at this point.  Overall you should be happy about the hematological response so far.

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Lori,

It's nice to see the WBC dropped so quickly for you.  I understand why you are nervous about it getting too low, though.  You might want to check out Dr. Druker's videos on YouTube.  He presents some graphs from early Gleevec trials and I found it helpful to see how the blood counts dropped initially, often going below normal, but then would come back into the normal range.  It's nice to see the evidence of how "normal" it is for the counts to go too low for a bit.

Traci

#4 LoriC14

LoriC14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Trey - really appreciate the quick feedback.  Am very happy, just a bit nervous that I will have to go through getting used to the meds all over again... But you really helped put things in perspective. Thank you

#5 LoriC14

LoriC14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Traci - I am learning so much on this BLOG and getting a wonderful support network - hope I can return the favor!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users