I started the PACE ponatinib trial in March after developing resistance to imatinib (6 yrs) and then dasatinib (2 yrs). I don't have T315I. After a month of muscle pain and rashes on 45mg they stopped it for a month and then restarted at same dose. No side effects to speak of and my PCR dropped from 500 to undetectable in under four months. Woo hoo, I feel awesome.
Because of the unquantifiable risk that I might develop resistance to ponatinib as I did to the previous drugs, my oncologist at Johns Hopkins (a true expert in the field) wants me to immediately move to a haplogenic, related-donor BMT. I'm scheduled to be admitted for a transplant Sept 14th, but I'm having second thoughts. I want to wait until we see some indication that the ponatinib response isn't durable.
I'm looking for some opinions on whether to stay the course on ponatinib or go for the BMT. Also, anybody aware of people on ponatinib developing resistance to it?