What are they going to do to me now?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Yesterday the Cancer Center called and told me my iron level was 3 and it's supposed to be 20.

I have to go and have some kind of infusion? Treatment for 5 weeks. I can't remember if she said 5 treatments a week for 5 weeks or 1 treatment a week for 5 weeks. I have no idea what thier giving me or what kind side effects I might get. Has anyone else had to have this treatment?  Is it risky to have this done? I knew something was wrong I couldn't walk from the front of my house to the back without getting winded. And I live in an outhouse!

Can anybody give me some peace of mind?  I love you all.   Billie

#2 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hang in there, Billie!

Now that they see a problem, they will take care of you.

I have nothing experience- or knowledge-wise to offer, just all my encouragement to you.

Ask lots of questions, or better yet, get someone else to ask the questions and write down the answers for you, you've got enough on your plate!

Take care, feel better, keep us informed, please.

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Iron infusion.

http://www.healthboa...ad.php?t=615942

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi Billie:  I agree with Chris.  They found out why your feeling so lousy, and they will get you back up and running again with the iron.  I always write everything down, and then when I have a question at the doctors or wherever I just pull out my little notepad and ask them.  I have trouble remembering eveything.  I keep one of those calendars in my purse that looks like a checkbook, and it has all the little boxes on each day of the week.  I write down all my appointments right in the book while I am standing at the desk checking out wherever I am.

I know how you feel when it seems like its always something else, but you will get through this ordeal like everything else.  Its not necessarily a bad thing.

You will probably feel much stronger after they do this treatment.

You always have something good to say to everybody and you make us laugh a lot, so know that we all want you to get back to feeling good yourself.

My prayer list is getting pretty big.

Susan

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

What Chris said. . .now you know why you've been feeling so lousy, and they will help you fix it.  That's a good thing.  Try not to worry.

Susan's idea is good, too.  I type up my questions as I think of them (it usually starts after I get home from an appointment, and realize that I didn't ask something I wanted to know).  My list of questions builds up until my next appointment.  I print it out and bring it with me.  I need to get better about writing down the answers, though.

I will send good vibes your way.  Let us know how the iron infusion treatments go.

Marnie

#6 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

HI Billie, now you have the answer to why you have been so tired!!! Wish I could send you my husbands blood, he has polycythemia, too much thick iron blood!!! Has to have BW every other month, when iron numbers is high-- they drain about a pint out & throw it away. Anyway, you go get your iron & get back to feeling good, love the way you & Marnie can turn any situation into something silly!!! Take care & prayers to all, granny d

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Dear Billie,

Sorry you have not been feeling well.  I went through a similar hell when I was grossly anemic last summer.  But I didn't have low iron.  I just had blood transfusions.  I hope your condition gets better quickly.  What I understand is that when iron stores are low, some people are given an iron infusion like a blood transfusion.  Most people feel much better afterward.

Take care,

Teds

BTW, I think after the first infusion you will just have to wait and see about the next treatment.  Sometimes, just one treatment does the trick.  Just don't forget the date you have to go in!

#8 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hi Billie,

I too have issues with low iron.  I go in every couple of months and get IV Iron.  Not really a big deal - they take about 45 minutes for a bag.  You can't get more than one bag a day so you generally have to go back on consecutive days so it seems right that they would have you going for 5 days and not wait a week between infusions.  Make sure you make note of the time they are giving it to go in the first time you go.  The first time I went they set the machine to have it take 30 minutes and I had some pretty bad muscle cramping later in the day.  The next day I told them that and they increased the time to 45 minutes and now I really don't have any issues.  The only sucky thing is they can't leave the IV port in even though you are going to be there several days in a row so you end up getting stuck every day. Since the iron is not going through your stomach you shouldn't have any GI issues.  It usually takes me a bout 4 or 5 days to really start feeling better but I can definitly tell when the iron gets too low again and I need a refil.  When I go to the infusion center I tell them I'm there for my liquid liver and it always give them a laugh.   My Iron has never been as low as yours - my lowest has been between 8 and 9.  Hang in there and you'll be on the mend in no time.

Heather

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Dear Grannyd,

I'm  A positive will you take a check?

This is all Marnies fault. She goes all over the county trying to bash her brains in like a rag doll. And I'm the one who has to sit in a chair and have a 22 inch needle stuck in me for 2 hours. And she doesn't get a scratch. Like we're going to believe that. Oh btw where do they put this 22 inch needle? Thank you for you're for your prayers I'm looking forward to feeling better.

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Dear Heather,

Thank you for all the info I really appreciate it.  I can't stop laughing about how you know when your iron is low. All I can picture is a drive up gas station and tell the serviceman you are so tired How much is a quart of iron? On second thought fill her up I'll get better mileage that way.

lol Billie

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Marnie,

the hell with good vibes I want a gallon of white wine and bon-bons and jelly beans.

#12 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I'm drinking some white wine right now, and will make a toast to you.  I need to cut down on those bon bons for awhile.  I think I've hit that age where everything is starting to settle.  Pants won't button any more.  Damn.  I've never been a jelly bean person.  I prefer gummy worms. A much higher-brow delicacy, for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users