34 replies to this topic

#21 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi Stevea,

I was a bit the same - I switched to taking my Gleevec in the morning as I was finding it difficult trying to eat a reasonable meal at night time so I could have my Gleevec. I didn't put any weight on, but didn't always feel like eating a lot at night particularly when I'd had a large lunch.

Gerry

#22 ADCARSON

ADCARSON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Stevea for the info.  That is what I have been doing is taking it with dinner and eating more because if I do not I feel sick.  Recently had to increase my dose so still getting ised to it.  Once I get more used to it I am going to try taking it at lunch and eating a lighter dinner.  In addition to exercising more...........combination is sure worth a try.     Anita

#23 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Dear Anita,

I'll repeat myself we're doomed. If adam hadn't eaten that damned apple  and that bitch eve hadn't enticed him we would all be happy having grilled snake for dinner. It's not fair cml sucks and if you throw in menopause it double sucks. And the men sit around drinking pitchers of draft beer and the hottest chicken wings on the planet and never gain an ounce! shut down all the deep fryers!!!!!

lol Billie

#24 carrie

carrie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationShow Low, Arizona

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Yep. CML and Gleevec for four years now. Gained weight...30 or 40 not really sure about the exact amount.

For the first time in my life I cut out sugars, bad carbs,...and I am trying to get on a treadmill at least 20 minutes

a day. Started this about 4 months ago and I have lost about 25 pounds but it is slow going. I am not cheating

at all. From everything I have read...Gleevec puts on the pounds.

I used to have so much diarrhea I thought that would help keep the weight off...liquid out/pounds off....not a chance.

I did stop eating eggs for breakfast and replaced it with oatmeal and my diarrhea is NO MORE.

Now I just have to work at getting those pounds off. I was NOT thin to begin with so I have lots of work to do.

Diagnosed   2007

On Gleevec for 10 years

Results from 2007-2012 not shown below

International Scale from 2012 until now

Never went to 0

14.109   Changing to Tasigna 7/7/17

7/28/17  800 mgs Tasigna

10/5/17  600 mgs Tasigna (Lots of bad side effects)

10/16/2017    PCR down to 0.141  

1/15/18          PCR down to  0.066   Dose reduction again. Now 400 mgs daily.

#25 ADCARSON

ADCARSON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for your feedback.  I know wht you mean,  Sounds like you are doing it the right way.  Removing the bad carbs certainly is key.  I was doing that a few months ago and lost 7 pounds.  Problem is that I did not stick with it as I should.  I am going to get motivated again to get back on track.   I am still battling with the diarreah....you are right, I thought the same thing...surely I would loose weight because of it....not a chance.

Good luck getting to your goal and keep me posted.  You are an inspiration.

Anita

#26 ADCARSON

ADCARSON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Ha ha...thanks Billie.  And men sure can loose weight a lot faster than us women can.....just not fair.

#27 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

oh yea, you betcha.  Worse since the neuropathy worsened forcing me to go on neurontin which is known to cause weight gain!  Put on thirty pounds my first year on Gleevec, managed to get half of it off and keep it off until I switched to Sprycel then went on neurontin.  I've been battling to lose that again, plus another 10 I put on, just to have it jump right back onto my hips.  I have finally surrendered and just sent all my "skinny" jeans to the charity store and resigned to the battle of not gaining any more.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#28 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Hi Vicki,

Did you think you could hide from me forever?   Billie

#29 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Vicki,the only scale I get on is a broken one.I haven't felt to good the last few months and I can't eat,but I can't lose weight.I sure hope the iron infusions work. I don't know if you heard my pity party. But after feeling like crap for a while. They found the problem is my iron is to low. Mine is 3 and it's supposed to be around 20. I start iron infusions next week so I hope I'll be full of piss and vinegar in a few weeks.        lol Billie

#30 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'm fighting very hard not to - but my body is fighting me back. Mostly with sugar cravings, which is new for me - normally I used to just crave chocolate, but now all kinds of sweet things as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with blood sugar levels?

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#31 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

OH SHOOT!  Oh well, knew you would find me sooner or later (hehehehe).

Hi Billie!  Just been busy with my gardens this summer.  In fact, I have a huge bushel of beans sitting on my kitchen floor right now waiting for me to get busy.  Glad to hear they finally found the reason for why you haven't been feeling well.  Good for you for pushing and not taking "no problems" for an answer!!! 

Personally, except for the weight gain, I've had the best summer in years.  Only have problems when I think I don't need to take the Neurontin (I hate the idea I need ANOTHER drug).  I've got a pretty good handle on my new "normal" and it's one I can actually live with (pun intended ) with a little help from my wonderful better half.

Ok, I have to get busy and snap my beans.  Glad you found me!

Vicki

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#32 dee145

dee145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

After finding a good oncoligist that knows how to treat me I have gained some weight but I mostly mind it around my belly, I look bloated all the time and it's not fluid.  I am 5 ft tall and weigh 140, never weighed that much when I was 9 months pregnant.

My new issue is they found a large mass on my left ovary, so now I have to see the gynocoligist tomorrow.  I just found out last night and they got me in quick so it kind of worries me.  If they have to take out the ovary I want it all out.  Thats 1 less thing to take a risk of getting cancer at.  Don't know if they will or not, insurance may refuse.

To the people on here that know about my anxiety problems I can say they are getting a little better, well till last nite, I was put on a pill called Buspar thats not addicting but still have to take a couple xanax a day depending on what goes on or just my anxiety level.  I went on vacation again and had a good time, alot slower than the rest but I did it.  I dread the cold weather cause I do better in hot weather.

Well, thats whats going on with me and any ideas on the bloating I would love to hear!!!!     Dee

#33 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hi Dee:  The Mass they found on your ovary is most likely causing the bloating that you describe.  I hope all goes well for you with your further treatment for your ovary.  Please let us know how your doing.  My prayers go out for you that it might just be a large cyst.

Susan

#34 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Dee,

I hope it is just a cyst and nothing worse than that.  Let us know and try not to worry too much.  Easier said than done.

My sister once had a lot of problems with her ovaries.  Can't remember if bloating was one of the symptoms.  But she ended up being rushed into emergency surgery after passing out at work one day.  She just turned all bluish-white and passed out.  Turns out she had a cyst on her ovary that had become septic.  The docs saw the cyst on the ultrasound and expected they would find cancer when they opened her up to check it out.  But it turned out to be a very nasty little cyst.

Traci

#35 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Dear Dee,

My neighbor was about 65 years old and had stomache pain and bloating she said it felt like she was 10 mos pregnant. When they operated they removed a 17 pound tumor from her. It was not malignant

it was there causing no harm. It would have kept growing.no cancer just a lot of discomfort for a woman her age. That's the way to lose weight.  I can't imagine how long she must have had it. She had her pap test every year,results always good. so there wasn't any reason to do an ultrasound..I haven't even eaten yet today. I figure if I stick a pin in my bloated belly it would explode and I will have a little baby alien. What do they eat? They aren't getting any goodies from mommy their born with sharp teeth. I just watched that movie yesterday.

I'm so glad you finally found an onc and doc you like and trust. You already sound much calmer    Take Care Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users