7 replies to this topic

#1 saiyogo

saiyogo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I just returned from an appoinment with my Onc after 1 month of taking 400mg Gleevec. This time they did a more elaborate metabollic panel so they found out while all my other stat are within normal range, the abnormal ones are about the level of fat in my blood.

This time I forgot to take a picture of my test result so I didn't remember it exactly. But basically, my total cholesterol level is lower than normal (I remember vaguely it was about 165 but then it will make no sense because from what I heard this is a desireable value) with lower LDL and higher HDL; the Onc told me it was no problem but of course I did research after that. In the wiki page they say leukemia can be a cause of this phenomenon.

So I want to ask what your experience is. Is anyone have the same issue and what can we do to deal with this?

P/S: By the way my other counts seem to be good (WBC: 5.15; RBC: 4.52; PLT: 214) the liver settled down (GOT: 30 from 48 2 week earlier). No visible side effect except some minor fatigue and moment of absent-minded (to be honest I have been like that my whole life).

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hi Saiyogo,

It would only be a problem if you are on a cholesterol medication - I was taking one of the Statins for cholesterol - Gleevec seems to make your liver store it up, which can lead to muscle damage. I've gone off my cholesterol medication and seeing if I can manage it through taking Pysilum Husk.

Gerry

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

HI:  My Cholesterol could be a little lower, but its in the normal range.  ITs my Tryglycerides that have been up.  I am getting checked next week, and I am curious as to what my numbers will be.  I have heard that Cholesterol goes down with Gleevec in some cases. They want my HDL to be a little better than it is.

Susan

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hi Saiyogo,

It's nice to hear from you again. I was thinking about you and how you were doing, so many young people getting cml. I wonder what's going on. I can't help you with your numbers because I'm an idiot when it comes to trying to understand.I think I have a mental block about it so I'll get my info from everybody else. I'm glad the Gleevac is working for you so well. Don't worry about the brain fog I've had it all my life too. Now we have something to blame it on. Today was a brain fog day for us we couldn't find our car keys. Yesterday I went and got bw, then stopped at the bank and came straight home. My

hubby went out with a couple friends last night but he didn't drive but he could have stuck the keys in his pocket out of habit.We have a hanger for our keys right inside our door and we hang them up there every time we come home. I went through the yukky garbage chicken wing bones from last night coffee grounds watermelon rinds it was really awful.Ron went back to the club he went to last night no luck I called the lab and the bank it was a horrible day. Then we got to blaming each other for losing them. But the car seat was still forward.I'm 5'2 and Ron is 6'1 so he always has to put the seat back a lot after I used the car. I finally called the newspaper and ran a lost and found ad. Of course it wouldn't start till Monday. We have a spare set of keys which I always have in my purse.But this set we lost has the remote control and security system on it.It would cost a fortune to replace them about 6:00 pm tonight Ron was putting something in the cupboard and on the wall beside the stove I keep my potholders and lo and behold there were the keys! Hanging on the last hook where my potholders are. What's worse I swept the floor and swept right beside them. I'm still trying to think of a way to make him think he did it. So don't feel bad! Take care and keep sending us the good news.  Sincerely Billie

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi Billie:  My husband keeps telling me to stop blaming my brain fog on the Gleevec.  He says I have always been a little dippy as he puts it.  I come in the house and leave my  keys in the door.  My husband has come home after working the night shift, and he gets annoyed when he finds I locked the door before I went to bed, but left the keys in the lock on the outside of the door so anyone could just come right on in.  I could give you a list of the stupid things I have done.  Is it really our TKI, or am  I just getting old and feeble.  You always make me laugh with your stories.

Susan

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hi Susan,

I have to keep my cholorestol around 60,that sure doesn't sound right but that's what doc says. My left carotid artery is 100% blocked and surgery is out. It was 99% blocked in 1993 and they rotor rooted

me. I was fine until about 4 years ago. Routine blood test every six mos. that's how they found my cml. That is such good news about Saiogo. That's what keeps us fighting, for the young people. She sounds so much more relaxed I remember when she first joined us she was so scared. The power of prayer, lol Billie

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

Dear Susan,

Before he went to bed he had a shitty ass look on his face and promised not to tell anybody.Just read the headlines of the New York Times tomorrow morning. Many many moons ago when he was still courting me we were working out in the yard I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing he yelled at me and said listen to the hose to see if he got all the air out it took me a fourth of a second to realize what he said but by then I already had the hose up to my ear and he turned the water on. The rest is history. I really should write a book, nobody would believe me.

LOL Billie

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

HI Billie:  You are so right about all our new young people who are just being diagnosed.  I am having trouble keeping up with who is who lately, but thats why I always repeat myself because they may have not read a previous post about how we can beat this disease. Its good for them to read all our stories of how they found our CML, and how we are doing now.  You sure have had your share of illnesses along with your CML, but it just proves we can survive it all.

Your always so perky, and make everyone have a laugh on their worst day.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users