• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

I had my 6 month appt. with my onc today.

CBC:     WBC   2.8  Hct (up a little) 30.5

He wanted me to have a BMB today which I did.

I read the posts from everyone and asked if I had a PCR recently and I did in June.  I do not understand the results maybe Trey or someone can help.

BCA-    0.299(H)  and the log reduction was 1.141

He said I will have that repeated August 22nd along with a CBC and I should stay on my Gleevac 300mg QD.  My weight is good but my blood pressure was a little high so I will take it daily at work.

Thanks for the posts I felt better educated this visit.  At least I knew to ask if I had a PCR done

Loreta

#2 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

One more thing, when he looked at the slides he said we may have to do another BMB if my cells are in the mitosis stage (I do know what that is, nursing school was a while ago but I did retain that). So I wait to see.

Loreta

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

PCR Log reduction is 1.14, which is the most useful info.  Goal of TKI therapy is a 3 log reduction, so you are making good progress.

Don't know what "BCA" means -- maybe BCR-ABL???

As for the statement: "may have to do another BMB if my cells are in the mitosis stage".  A BMB can only assess cells in the middle of mitosis, so I do not understand the comment unless he meant NOT in mitosis.  At any given time some cells are dividing and others are not.  The BMB sorts for those WBCs that are dividing and looks at the chromosomes, which are very plain to see at that point.

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

Dear Loreta,

Please listen to Trey he really knows what he's talking about. I think much more than the oncs. I learned that every doc will tell you something different. But he's right everytime. My doc gave me a script for nuvagil just a couple mos ago. I won't take anything without checking with onc. I called onc and he said definitly not that it would take away the effectiveness of my sprycel and he was right and Trey was the only one that agreed with him and he was right. It's on one of these sites. Doctors are dishing nuvagil out like candy for the fatigue. I don't know if it helps or not but I'd rather be tired than have my cml get worse.  Sincerely Billie

#5 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Trey,

Maybe he did say not in mitosis, it was right after my BMB and I know at least my blood pressure was up so maybe my hearing was down.  Also, I do always get my letters wrong it was the BCR, that was done 6/11 and I will get it drawn again 8/22 and see him 8/29 to review the BMB and blood work.  Thanks Trey you are wonderful.

Loreta

#6 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

Trey,

If there anywhere that you posted what the log reduction means?  Thanks, Loreta

#7 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hi:  I have to respond to this message regarding doctors giving out all kinds of new meds.  I have said for years, that they come up with this stuff, and then we find out it does harm in other ways.  I have lived with my fatigue for 13 years, and my anemia, and everything else that goes with the different diseases I live with daily.  Some people might think thats not smart, but I laugh at all these commercials.  Every night I see a new drug on the TV, and it will do everything for  you, but your liver could fail, you could get Lymphoma etc. etc.  None of my doctors push anything on me.  They will ask me if I want something, and when I say no they say good.

I love all these advertisements also for things that will take 40 years off your looks of aging.  I am going to be 64, and I just Thank God I will be seeing 64.

We really need to be our own advocate on so many issues regarding our bodies and health.  My husband kept coming home with prescriptions for every little ailment, and I took him off eveything.  Many years later, and he is actually feeling better than ever before without all this crap.  I believe we need certain medications, but it gets ridiculous.  I feel a lot of this stuff is just for the drug companies to make more money. That is just my opinion.

I have a story about my grandmother.  She had some kind of sore on her leg, and she went to the doctor. He gave her some kind of liquid medication to apply to the leg.  She spilled it on the floor before she got to apply it, and it ate a hole in her linoleum floor.  She called him up, and told him to take it.  She threw all her medication in the garbage that day,even her heart medication.  She was in her 70's, and never took another medication again.  She lived well into her 90's, and she went to lay down for a nap one day and that is how she died. We talk about her all the time, and how funny she used to be.

Susan

#8 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Holy cow.....what a story about the medicine on the floor!  ;). Lala

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

CML testing and log reductions explained here:

http://community.lls.org/docs/DOC-1273

#10 momruns

momruns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Trey,

Thank you I saw more of your postings.  A lot to take in all at once but great references.  I somewhat understand the log reduction.  I will have the cancer center fax me the earlier results, I only have the CBC CMP results.

Thanks again,

Loreta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users