July 8, 2011, Courthouse News Service

Other link: http://www.cmleukemi...cml-causes.html

#2 JP1102

JP1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Could be. I used furniture strippers aplenty stripping paint/varnish from antiques. It wasn't my occupation, but kind of a sideline/hobby.

I loved doing it, and don't regret turning trash into treasure. I still have a few pieces throughout my humble abode.

Gleevec, incidentally, seems to have stripped out the bad chromosome and my CML is under control.

#3 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

It most certainy is.  It is one of two known causes, the other being high dose radiation exposure(Hirosoma bomb type exposure).  I was exposed to benzene for 3 years through water wells and tap water while stationed at camp Lejeune, NC for 3 years back in the 1970's.  I proved the connection to the government and won the case. Start reading labels, you will be surprised of the widespread use of benzene.

#4 brknight

brknight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

Hi new to this sight?  My husband was dx with CML in 2007, since then he found out from a friend who was stationed with him in the AF he also has leukemia.  They were helicopter mech.  used benzene and other chemicals to clean parts and the helicopter with, they did this without using any protective clothing.  They also fueled the helicopters so were exposed with benzene thru that.  We are getting ready to file a claim with the VA but were told that they won't do anything because there is nothing to say that CML is linked to benzene or other chemicals, only AML is linked.  How did you fight it and win?  Any info you could give us would be a help.  Thank you so much.

#5 cml-wife

cml-wife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

I wonder about this as well. My husband was an army Ranger who had 7 combat deployemnts to the middle east. He is 33 years old. He's been exposed to the burn pits, benzene and radiation. He was at the VA for his doctors appointment and met 2 other OEF/OIF combat veterans his age with CML. For a "rare" cancer that usually hits later in life, it's quite a concern that our younger troops are showing up with cases of CML.

I have a feeling that eventually the government WILL link CML to the exposure to toxins during military ops. But I bet it will take a LONG time.

#6 BigAl

BigAl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

Do you think benzel peroxide causes cml..... I used to apply oxy10 before I sleep on my chin area and around my mouth for the acne ... This went on for years .....

#7 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Al,

No, I absolutely don't think that benzoyl peroxide causes CML.  If that were true, there'd be a heck of alot more CML cases!

Benzoyl peroxide is different from benzene.  While it does breakdown to a reactive radical species (which in theory could cause DNA damage), it doesn't penetrate very far into the skin.  It shouldn't get much deeper than the bottom of your pores, since it gets down there to kill the bacteria that causes acne.  Leukemic stem cells should be in your bones, and benzoyl peroxide just won't penetrate that far on your skin.

(In fact, a handy tip to anyone with acne or teens with acne, is to rub an ice cube on your skin before applying the Oxy10.  This opens the pores, allowing more to get down there and kill the bacteria.)

traci

#8 Augustfirst2010

Augustfirst2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:31 AM

hi hwccritch,

i was stationed at MCAS Camp Pendleton from 1984-1988 and just recently discovered that i am in the same situation. i was not just exposed to benzene in the water, but also bis(2-ethylhexy)phthalate, trans-1,2-dichloroethene, and vinyl chloride, that had been dumped into a waste ditch from the 1940's to early 1980's. in my research i found that benzene can take up to 30 years (after long periods of exposure - in my case, three years) to cause CML and other cancers.

I am working with my Vet Rep on this, if you have any info for help I would greatly appreciate it.

Semper Fi

#9 BigAl

BigAl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

hello happycat,

its not the penetration of benzol peroxide that have me asking its the smell of it. i used to apply before a slept religiously around the mouth under the nose area were my acne was most. The smell was very strong and i did this for years.

thanks

#10 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Al,

No, don't think you have to worry about inhalational exposure.  BP is a solid, melts at around 100 deg C, and does not give off any vapors.  I checked a few MSDS for you, and it is not listed as carcinogenic or potentially carcinogenic.  It is a sensitizer, though, so it can cause allergic rash.  Also a skin irritant, mainly from drying effects.  The greatest risk with it is explosion, but the amount in consumer products is way too low to worry about that.  But we chemists store the "pure" solid (it's actually got 25wt% water as a stabilizer) I the refrigerator, since it will explode if heated. 

The odor you smell when using BP may be due to something else,not the BP itself.  I notice similar odors when using hydrogen peroxide and ozone. 

HTH,

Traci

#11 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

HI,

I used a cream for my face for years and years that contains the following:Hydroxycitronellal and Benzyl Benzoate,

not sure if any of these ingridients are toxic.

But there must be something that have caused us to get CML, all my life I was perfectly healthy.

#12 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Dina,

Neither one of those is a carcinogen or suspected carcinogen.  Nor are they toxic.

What oftens happens is a genetic error during DNA replication.  The errrors just happen and are not necessarily caused by an outside agent.  The body has mechanisms to detect and repair these mistakes, but some DO get through.  I think CML is most often caused by this - simple errors in biological processes that the body cannot fix quickly enough before they begin to propagate.  Simply put, nature isn't perfect. 

Traci

#13 Augustfirst2010

Augustfirst2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hi Dina...being a Researcher, I have discovered that there are a few things out there that can cause leukemia, and CML specifically, besides just natural biological processes (which usually only hit those around 70 or older, especially males).

Benzene is one of them, as well as asbestos and vinyl chloride and certain kinds of radiation. CML is not like other cancers...which usually get their genetic copy switch stuck in the "on" position, and so all their descendants are copied with the switch also stuck in the "on" position. however, with CML, we do not have cells running rampant copying themselves with the copy switch stuck in the "on" position (which is one reason why it is easier for most of us to deal with it through medication) - in our case, the ends of two chromosome loops swapped positions after being copied (chromosome 9 and 23, I believe...but I am tired, so I may have #23 wrong). So we have a cell in the bone marrow somewhere pumping out mutated white blood cells, probably at a rate of about one cell every hour or so, which is a vast difference from one cell becoming two, becoming four, becoming eight....etc. Most other cancers are caused by copy errors that can be corrected by copy error enzymes, but in our case it is not a copy error, but rather a "put the wrong gene in the wrong place" error...i don't recall any correcting enzymes that correct these kinds of errors.

But God can heal anything.

#14 Stevea

Stevea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

I worked in a fiber glass warehouse for about a year or two, mixing resins everyday.  The resins had benzene in them.  I got Leukemia at age 19, the odds of getting them at that age were very low.

Basic Facts about Benzene:

http://www.bt.cdc.go...asics/facts.asp

Long-term health effects of exposure to benzene

• The major effect of benzene from long-term exposure is on the blood. (Long-term exposure means exposure of a year or more.) Benzene causes harmful effects on the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. It can also cause excessive bleeding and can affect the immune system, increasing the chance for infection.
  • The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has determined that benzene causes cancer in humans. Long-term exposure to high levels of benzene in the air can cause leukemia, cancer of the blood-forming organs.

#15 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

I want to thank all of you for your time  and expressing your opinions.

You all make sense to me, but I can't help it and not to wonder what and if I have done something wrong for me to get CML.

Maybe I need some time to simply accept it and move on since I was dx only three months ago, otherwise very healthy individual.

Besides the cream that I used on my daily basis for years and years there is one more thing.

We moved to a new house almost two years ago and have installed a wood flooring all over the house,

I wonder if there were some chemicals in the glue that was used or in the paint on the floor itself?

Would appreciate your opinions!

#16 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I doubt any of us did anything to get this, I really think it was just the random luck of the draw (or more likely a really bad combination of events and timing).  Mix everything together the exact same way and 9 out of 10 times have a different outcome.

Some things to keep in mind.  Even if you were to figure out what it was, there isn't much you could do with that info.  For one, no one would agree it was the cause and most importantly it can't be undone.

I do wonder from time to time if it was something in the house, mostly because I worry about my wife or kids.  Given the rare occurrences of CML, it just seems like our guardian angels had a bad day.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#17 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Couldn't agree with you more Lucky.

How can we check if our home is safe, anybody knows how its done?

#18 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

There are basic things you can look for like air quality tests, mold tests, etc.  But since you don't know what exactly the cause is, you don't know what to look for.  Also have to realize that there doesn't seem to be any absolutes here, just increased risk factors.  You have people who smoked their entire lives and never get lung cancer - so you could have a carcinogen in your home and no one is affected by it.  I think it is just too random to really nail down.  Again, air quality tests, radon test, etc is probably not a bad idea.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#19 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

There are always epigenetic factors to consider.  Our mothers' behavior, exposure, and what they ate could have caused us to get CML (while pregnant, my birth mother worked with chemicals, (bare hands; no mask), and had an elevated train out her window; she was also severely depressed and angry because my father left her high and dry).  There are so many things we cannot control for.  And there could be more than one thing that starts a mutation.

Oh, I just read an article about centenarians.  Some were obese and overweight, and one had been smoking for 90 years, and she was still smoking.  There were even other smokers in the group (but they started later).  Most of them had bad eating and life habits.  It is all in the genes.  Clearly, these people are the heartiest amongst us.  None of them had any life-threatening chronic diseases either.  Hard to imagine living to or past 100 without, at least, hypertension or something like that.  And they often survived their offspring.  So, it appears that longevity does not always run in families.  One man had family members that didn't make it past 70 (which I would happily take, I think that age is plenty old now--used to be so greedy wanting to make it past 100). 

I get so jealous reading these kind of articles.  But I always feel that you have to look hard at the life and DNA of those who never contact disease throughout their loooong life to find out why some of us younger folks do, (kids, teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s etc).  What do they got that we don't? 

Looking for one cause, like benzene, or a few, is looking for a needle in a haystack.  Totally wrong place (just like symptoms-schymptoms are mostly unreliable).  But I am hopin' that we don't need to see causes from the outside (ex. chemical exposure, poor eating habits, etc.).  If we can see what is going on with the molecules and fix them, that would be enough for me.  It is probably there that we will find out what has gone awry.  If we can fix it, if it happens again, we can fix it again.  If humankind lasts, I feel we have the ingenuity to cure many or control most diseases.  May this happen soon for CML and all other blood diseases!

Good health to all of you and longevity too!

Teds 

#20 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Luck,

I just have to add, that I was thinking the same exact thing about our house.  I am also worried about my kids and husband.  We haven't yet had our basement checked for radon.  My husband has built a "man-cave" down there and I get so anxious about him letting the kids play down there (it's also unfinished).  This kind of thing can drive you crazy.  Every little bruise on my kids' bodies...  I know that experts say that CML is not hereditary.  However, two years in with this disease, I have learned not to thoroughly trust what the experts say.  Pray my kids got the best 50% of my genes (and your kids got your best 50), or my husband gave them supergenes to cancel out my bad ones.

Take care,

Teds 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users