• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

I had insomnia before diagnosis and have had it periodically through out treatment. Anybody else experience insomnia while on Tasigna?

#2 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi Josh,

Yes and no.  I was having major problems with taking my medicine at about 10PM, hitting the hay at 10:30PM, then waking up wired at 11:15 or 11:30PM, only to fall asleep in a few minutes and stay asleep.  Then I also began waking up in the middle of the night, but most of that turned out to be anxiety.  I've gotten the anxiety mostly under control so I don't wake up in the middle of the night, but I sometimes still wake up right after I first fall asleep.  I usually feel like I've had an adrenaline rush so I don't know if it's still a bit of anxiety or related to the Tasigna, or what.

Taylor

#3 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hi - yes...I do think it has something to do with the time of the day when I take it.  Although I know it's hard with the whole 'food' thing...

If I took the 2nd dose after I ate dinner...I would be up!!!  For hours...exhausted but couldn't sleep.  Now I take an hour before dinner....I'm not as diligent about the 12 hour intervals.

Not sure what time you take that 2nd dose, but may help to change timing?

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

JoshLee,

I'm glad you started this discussion. I'm on Sprycel and I've noticed that I go to sleep fine, no problem, but I'm awake after around 5 hours of sleep. If I'm lucky I go back to sleep, but normally once I'm awake - I'm AWAKE!

Fortunately, fatigue is not one of my major side effects, but after a week or two of only 5 hours sleep a night it begins to show. I've discovered that power napping really makes a difference. 20 - 30 minutes sleep (no more or I get groggy) when I'm feeling bushed and I'm fine.

Weird, huh?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

I take my meds at 6 PM...And then usually some time between 6-8 AM. I am physically exhausted, but my mind is like incredibley alert and I can't get to sleep. If I go to bed at like 11...I don't fall asleep untl 1,2, or on occasion 3 am! I remember having insomnia before I was diagnosed, maybe 5 months or so. I don't know if that means anything. I've been having this for well over a week and a week ago my counts were good...So nothing out of control, at least according to CBC. I do have a prescription for lorazepam..And that seems to help for the nights when it is impossible, but that stuff is kind of addicting. Being on one drug is ENOUGH. I am not particularly anxious, but my life this summer has been pretty simple. No job because my fellowship doesn't run in the summer and I am staying with my parents. I try to get out for a walk and light work out, but maybe my brain just isn't being drained!? Who knows!  Kind of comes in waves I guess. Insomina is actually a side affect of Tasigna so maybe this is normal?

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi:  I am not on Tasigna.  I am on Gleevec.  That rush of Adrenaline is Anxiety. I go through it on and off, but when it hits sometimes it lasts for days.

I do not sleep well.  My mind is always on something, and not even anything to do with my CML.  I think everyone is feeling some type of anxiety these days just trying to deal with everyday life and finances.  Then add Cancer to the list just causes a lot of these problems.

You have to just find what works for you to deal and cope with it.  Everyone has a different way of handling things. Take Care

Susan

#7 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have been on Tasigna for a little over a year and it absolutely has made sleep difficult.  Going to sleep, waking frequently and early waking.  I also can not sleep (nap) during the day which some days I would give anything to do. 

Eyes wide open and not enjoying it.

#8 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Well....We do have a life threatening illness....Maybe being awake to enjoy life is a good thing? Lol! Kidding! Being awake stinks if you're eye lids feel like sand paper but your mind feels like it's being stimulated by electric jelly!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users