Photo

Is anyone having problems with low potassium levels?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paula

Paula

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

In the past 17 days I have had to have two IV's of 40mg of potassium.

I have been feeling so sick and exhausted and don't know what is causing the depletion of potassium.

I've been put on a supplement to bring the levels up but some how it is not being absorbed into my system.

After a few days the IV infusion wears off and I am back to feeling sick.

Can the Gleevec be causing this? Has anyone else had this problem. I've been on Gleevec for over 2 yrs.

I am really puzzled about what is going on and why the supplements aren't working.

Of course I will be calling the doctor in the morning.

Thanks for listening.

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Dear Paula,

I was on G for over 3 years,but I finally convinced him to put me on Sprycel. I just couldn't endure the problems I had from G. I had problems before dx so G probably added to the other gi issues I had. I went on sprycel the end of Nov. I'm having trouble with anemia. And I heard the nurse mention infusion, could you please tell me what that is?    Thank You Billie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

TKI drugs can cause depletion of minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, etc.  Your depletion seems to be severe case.  How are your other mineral levels?

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Another question is - are you on a fluid tablet?

#5 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hi, I haven't posted much lately, been busy doing outside work, and loving it. I just had my 6 month check up & PCR testing done at Cleveland Clinic. Dr. was so happy with my results, all numbers were great, in the higher end of normal-WBC stays at 7.2--7.6.. I have been on tasigna since Feb. 1st. My numbers have been normal since 2nd week of taking T. She said it looks like I have gone to MMR in very short time, for which i thank God!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I got home after the GREAT news, Dr. called to tell me that my potassium was low & she put me on potassium pills for 2 weeks, I will have BW on the 19th at my regular ONC. to see if there is any change. I was wondering, since potassium is low & taking pills, should I also be eating potassium rich foods & drinking orange juice?? I have no side effects from T.& feel fine, didn't realize I was low in potassium. She is going to call me & send me my PCR results when she gets them all. My last one in April showed WEAK POSITIVE. Thank all of you that post on this board, I do  check in often but-- get up & stay busy all day, trying to forget about CML!!!!!!! This board has been THE BEST thing for me---all of you have been so encouraging!!!!!!! Even when things are not going well, I know when I check in I find the words of others & think these are the BEST FRIENDS I have, they understand me so well!!!! Prayers to all----granny d

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi grannyd,

Have a chat with your doctor first, you don't want to be taking potassium tablets and also eating a diet high in potassium as high levels of potassium can lead to heart issues.

Gerry

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Dear Paula,

I was put on Sprycel which suits me just fine. But I am becoming anemic, my rbc go down every month.I just had bw done at the cancer center last week. I know they are doing the complete panel whatever that is and the nurse even said they were checking a bunch of other stuff and I remember she said potassium. My appt. isn't until July 21. I hate this waiting Let me know how you make out.

Good Luck    Billie

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

Dear Grannyd,,

You have helped me many times  I have a lot of faith but sometimes I just feel so frustrated, and I think God please can't I get a break. Haven't I been through enough tradegys. And always at times when I feel that way you show up and say something special, You're prayers are very touching. After that I am able to handle all the things I have on my mind.  Lots of Love Billie

#9 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Billie, you have had so much, & continue to be a pillar of strenght to ME & so many others!!! Always there to lift one of us UP when we are feeling down!!!! The things you & Marnie have been thru & still able to find humor-----what a gift you both have & share with all!!! I am so thanful for all the times when first diagnosed that you would answer what I thought was stupid questions, or maybe just the way I phrased it!!!! Anyway, I hope & pray all works out GOOD  for you & everyone in our CML club!!! Prayers to all, granny d

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users