7 replies to this topic

#1 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hi,

I just got back from my oncology appointment and am almost MMR after 7 month.  At diagnosis, I was 17.09% and I am now .02%!  I see a nice glass of wine in my future this evening.  The side effects from 400 mg Gleevec are much better since changing to four 100 mg pills a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night) instead of one 400 mg pill.

The only less than positive news was I learned that my next BMB will be without sedation!  I changed oncologist to KU's BMT Clinic because of their superior expertise treating CML in the Kansas City area.  My prior oncologist used sedation and I don't remember anything about the procedure.  When I questioned why I could not have sedation, I was told the procedure was done by a nurse practitioner rather than a doctor and they thing sedation is too risky and too expensive.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the support and guidance everyone has provided on this discussion board.  Your help has been invaluable.

Nat

#2 Tom_md

Tom_md

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

My first was done with Novocaine....it was pretty miserable, I was in bad frame of mind wwhen I had it and think that extra tense made it worse.

I had my last BMB with a couple of Ativan, they completely took the edge off.  I bet they could prescribe that.  My Onc also gave nme some low dose morphine tabs, but did not need them.

Still was not a pleasant experience but was not terrible either

#3 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thanks, Tom.  The nurse said that I could have an ativan and sometimes they also give a fentanyl sucker.  Conscious sedation sounds much better to me!

#4 Samcerly

Samcerly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi, I just posted about BMB a few weeks back.  I was nervous since I was scheduled for my 2cd one, first one at diagnosis, no sedation, pretty painful.  I had an aspiration done this time, no biopsy and thought it was less painful.  No sedation this time either, just lidocaine.  My only complaint is I get dizzy and lightheaded from the lidocaine, but I just waited it ou this time and after an hour or so was fine.  Hip both times only sore for about 24 hrs. I feel slot better now having done it twice and knowing it was better second time around.  Wish you the same!

#5 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

Dear Nat,

I don't think I could ever go through that again. I think we would be better off with sedation, it's there so let them use it. Better yet I think all oncs should have a bmb.

I'm so glad you're doing so well congratulations!                        Billie

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, Billie . . . but with sedation, I wouldn't be able to ride the motorcycle (well.  .  .I'd be able to ride it THERE, but getting home would be a problem).

The worst part about my BMB was the damned pressure bandage he put on.  It took months to get all of the tape from that sucker off my butt!!

Nat. . .glad to hear that you are doing well!

Marnie

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Dear Marnie,

Here I go hijacking another post.Did you have a nice vacation? My anemia is worse so the doc has me on 100mg 1day and 50mg the next day. So I'll be alternating every other day. I sure hope this works he was ready to put me on Tasigma. I talked him out of it, I sure hope this works. At least now I know why I'm so tired all the time.  How did you're contract turn out? Or didn't it yet. Erie has a lot of school districts 2 districts finally settled and there contract was up about 3 mos. ago. It's going to be an exciting summer. And we just have to wait and see how much our taxes are going up again. I sure hope nothing else breaks!          Welcome back and I'll send you an e-mail later on.    LOL Billie

I'm playing with my computer obviously. That photo was taken 4 months before dx. I wont let anybody take my picture any more. I planned on growing old gracefully, not Gleevacky.

#8 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

There is no need for pain in today's medical arena.  You survived one BMB under sedation didn't you?  You need to take charge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users