• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barb@Anderson

Barb@Anderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

I was recently diagnosed with CML.  I have done a lot of reading and research on this blood cancer.  I understand how it happens.  It has to do with bits of # 22 and # 9 chromosome changing places creating aberrant Philly Chromosome bearing a mutant gene.  Now to my point.  Why does this happen?   Researchers know how it happens but no one knows why. Is it something we have done or come in contact with?  Is it genetic?  If so, why are my siblings not affected?  My children or other members of my family?  I believe a study group of those that have this cancer should be done to find if there is a common factor or common denominator surrounding their lifestyle, their workplace, family history and other factors that they may have in common.  Anyone out there know of any studies being done on this subject, please respond.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

Those same questions have been asked by many, but there are no good answers.  Much research has been done but is inconclusive.  These genetic mistakes happen during cell divisions all the time, but the body usually destroys those mutated cells.  Somehow the CML cell is very deceptive and can somehow evade destruction because of unusual and enhanced survival skills.  So it is not so much an issue that the CML mutation can occur, but that it can go on to survive the body's quality control measures, and eventually dominate the blood making system.  That pretty much defines cancer in general -- the ability to evade the body's defenses, along with enhanced survival skills and uncontrolled reproduction capabilities.

#3 Barb@Anderson

Barb@Anderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Trey,  I'm new at this and pretty much still in denial mode.  I, like all of you cannot believe this has happened to me.  I have always taken pride in the fact that I took care of my body.  I ate only the right foods, walked every day and excercised regularly.  To be honest with you, I wonder now why I bothered.  I now have swollen legs and ankles.  My eyes are swollen every morning.  I can't eat the foods I have always eaten.  Now I crave the foods that I forbade myself from eating before because they were bad for me. We never know what we will have to face in this life but I will try to get a grip on it as soon as I quit having my pity parties.  Barb 

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Oddly, many of us (certainly not all of us) were very healthy, fit, and active people -- runners, ate the right foods, etc.  Others smoked and ate only beef jerky washed down with Boones Farm apple wine (their only fruit or vegetable).  OK, so I made that last one up, but it sounds about right.

#5 Barb@Anderson

Barb@Anderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

So I guess this cancer is no respector of persons.  It can hit anyone at anytime in their life.  Yes, I know quite a few or those you are talking about.  I live in South Carolina.  Redneck country.  But not all of us drank from a moonshine jug and spit tobacco from the front porch.  We used to know everyone in town or knew someone who did.  Now so many people have found our little piece of beautiful country that when I read the obits anymore, I usually don't know a person that died.  It seems they are transplanted from Boston, New York, New Jersey or even Florida.  I do say though I live in the best place in this USA.  Thanks,  Barb

#6 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

Another link about CML causes

http://www.cmleukemi...cml-causes.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users