Photo

Does Sprycel pose additional risk of surgical bleeding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starlago

starlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Does anyone have knowledge/experience of surgery complications (bleeding) due to Sprycel?  I am looking into elective surgery - my oncologist doesn't have an objection if my counts remain "good."  However, I did find this information on the internet:  http://www.peerviewp...ed-presented-ash

Any information or shared experience is much appreciated.

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

I had funtional endoscopic sinus surgery last November at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It was done under general anesthesia and my platelet count at the time was probably around 160-180 ("normal" for me). I asked him how high platelets had to be for him to do surgery and he said he had had to do surgery on people with very low counts, 20-25, with excellent results. He said how well the platelets function is just as, if not more so, important. He knew I was taking Sprycel and he knew about the possible platelet function issues.

I had been on Spycel for a little over a year when I had my surgery. There is no doubt my platelet function is not perfect - I have occasional bouts of petechiae, purpura, but not much bruising (go figure). I seem to find plentyof occasions to tear my skin in some fashion and I don't seem to have clotting issues. BTW, I took my Sprycel as soon as I felt like eating after surgery so I never missed a day. I had no excessive bleeding during or after the surgery.

Another important thing to know is the expected "normal" blood loss for the kind of surgery you are discussing because that can vary. My husband will be having endoscopic robotic surgery for prostate CA in the near future vs the more common radical retro pubic procedure. The difference in blood loss can be as much as the expected 3 oz. blood loss in the robotic to as much as two units in the retro pubic. I mention this because I was very surprised there could be such a wide range.

If you haven't yet, I would make my surgeon aware of the possible platelet function issue wth Sprycel so he/she can take that into consideration. (Just call me Ms. Obvious.) 

Good luck,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 starlago

starlago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info.  I have always focused on the quantity of rb cells and platelets - had not considered the quality of them.  Hopefully that's what my oncologist was referring to  when he says "if my blood work is good."

It's been interesting that the surgeon is the one raising all the questions and my oncologist who seems to say "no big deal."  Another reminder that I am my own best advocate!

#4 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

I had a total knee replacement while on Sprycel.  Ortho said if Onc approved he would be ok with it and onc said no problem.  Blood counts were all good pre surgery but I had severe anemia 1 week post surgery, low enough most Dr. would do transfusion.  I think they identify it as post surgery anemia.  It is a bloody surgery and you usually give your own blood before surgery incase you need a transfusion but I didn't need it during surgery.  Drop was after.  Onc was consulted and she said don't give transfusion it will come back and it did, quite quickly.  I have no idea if it had anything to do with Sprycel, it may have just been my unique body response.  I would do it again, I trust my oncologist to know what she is doing.  I've been seeing her for 8 years so she knows my body pretty well, Hope your surgery goes well if you decide to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users