#1 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Well not quite but I have discovered my first cool side effect

I started gleevec the day after my 38th birthday with significant numbers of gray hairs. You couldn't see them because I put a rinse through my hair every 6 weeks.

Well as ya'll understand I've been a bit tired and for 4 months there has been no rinse going through my hair. There has also been a decent amount of hair loss - I estimate I'm down at least 30% in hair volume. The absolutely great most coolest bit is that the hair I've lost included 99.9% of my gray hairs.

I am nolonger a person of grey hairs!!!!

So if it wasn't for the saggy eyes I'd look years younger.

Anybody else notice this? Does anybody know why it targets gray hair?

Maybe novartis has missed it's target market. Gleevec: the new revolutionary drug that removes gray hair....but wait there's more, it can also stop you dying of cancer

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

I had that happen at first, but my body found a workaround and brought the gray hair back.  Sometimes those workarounds are useful, and sometimes they suck.

PhilB can prescribe other "elixers" for you.....But his elixers require mixers.  Sometimes they have umbrellas.  Sometimes olives.  Sometimes just "mouth to mouth" (his mouth to the mouth of the bottle).  Not that there's anything wrong with that....

#3 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

I do have my highlights done, but the main bulk of my hair has held it's colour, I am of an age where I would be expecting to see grey. Initially I had some hair loss, which pleased my hairdresser as my hair was quite thick.  The hair soon grew back except now it seems to grow sideways i.e. thicker rather than longer. My eyebrows are however greying, but I have these dyed. So perhaps Glivec is an elixir.

Trey may I just add though that I for one approve of PhilB's elixir plus mixer - roll on the weekend.

#4 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

An elixir sounds good!  I think I'll have one this weekend......Parrot Bay pineapple rum!  Yum, yum!

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

No I have not lost my Gray Hair.  I have a full head of Gray hair, but eveyone told me it was a very pretty shade of Gray.  Then I started to color my hair, which I still do.  The only thing with me is that I had poker straight hair my whole life, and now the Gleevec has given me curly hair.  I get tight curls on one side of my head more than the other.  I was thinking of letting it grow back out to the Gray at some point.

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

I think I read somewhere that it is only around 10% of people have their hair change from grey as a side effect. 

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Dear Rissa,

That sounds really refreshing,how do you mix it? My sister is having a graduation party for my niece. I'm helping her so that drink sounds great just for the two of us were hiding our stash.

Billie

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

dear jig,

I wish I could say the same. All my life I've had long brown hair I just kept it colored . I was dx in August and went to florida in december I stopped coloring it at dx. I figured I didn't need more chemicals going into my body. So I had my hair cut short for the first time in my life. I hated it the Gleevac turned my hair and eyebrows pure white.and gave me raccoon eyes.The puffiness is gone from my eyes now but my eyelids sag from being so puffy for over 3 years nothing will help that except plastic surgery I am not into that stuff. My dx was aug.2007. So the G gave me a complete makeover from head to toe. Now I'm on Sprycel which is much better than the G. I did start coloring my hair a light blond (temporary coloring ). My hair was always wavey but G made it really curly. For 4 years I've let this disease take over my life not anymore My family holds their age very well good genes. But I'm doing my best to look like I did right before cml. I doubt I'll ever hit 110 pounds again. I just want to feel better about myself. My sister gave me a picture that was taken 1 month before dx. I look like a totally different person

So don't let it get away from you. I gave up and now I'm sorry I let it get to me. Once I heard the word Cancer I'm just letting it sink in a bit 4 years later. But all of you are so young and you will beat this thing. No matter if you have flamigo pink hair.      So hang in there  and take care Billie.

#9 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:24 AM

Billie Murawski wrote:

Gleevac turned my hair and eyebrows pure white.and gave me raccoon eyes.The puffiness is gone from my eyes now but my eyelids sag from being so puffy for over 3 years nothing will help that except plastic surgery I am not into that stuff. My dx was aug.2007. So the G gave me a complete makeover from head to toe.

From head to toe?  Now that's what I call a saggy eyelid!

#10 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi Billie,   You don't mix up anything special, but you can.  I just pour it over ice, but I'm sure you could mix it with some pineapple juice and crushed ice.  It's very good all by itself though.  :-)

#11 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Well thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep hope that the gray stays away and I'd love some curls. When the TKIs do something nice (in addition to keeping us alive of course) it is certainly worth celebrating. I've a hens night tonight so I'll give celebrating my full attention but I'll probably get too tired too early.

And if the grays do come back it seems you guys have some helpful suggestions for other elixirs that will give a temporary illusion of youth

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users