8 replies to this topic

#1 TroyLynn

TroyLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi all,

I started Sprycel May 27rd and had a follow-up EKG June 7th my baseline EKG 428 milliseconds, the one I took on the the 7th was 436       milliseconds, I have another scheduled for tomorrow, as I am still in "normal" range.....barely... should I be worried?  Has anyone else experience anything like this?  Take care, -Troy-

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

I assume you are discussing QT interval.  Make sure they are using the corrected value (QTc), not the raw value (QT).  Either way, normal is normal.

QT interval can be affected by low calcium and low thyroid funtion, and folks with CML can have both related to drug therapy.

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi Troy: What did the doctor say who did the testing? Whenever I get a EKG, they always tell me right away if it is okay.  They have never quoted any numbers to me, and just say its normal.  If you have any questions, I would always ask well your in the doctors office to explain anything you do not understand.

After I had a complete cardiac work-up, the doctor had me come back into the office the next day to sit and show me everything after he got to review it closely. Thank God, he had nothing bad to tell me.  There might be someone else on here who can explain the EKG to you for you to understand.

#4 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi Troy,

When I started taking Tasigna, my QTc went up to 413. I got it done a week later and it was 443....I was getting worried....But I stayed on the medicine with the same dosage and went back for my 3 month checkup and my QTc had gone back down to about 393. I attribute a lot of it to the extreme anxiety and worry I felt at dx and every time I go to the doctor my heart starts to race. Anxiety can affect the QTc interval. Also, it's important to know that the EKG is just taking a picture of your heart. You could go back 15 minutes later and get a completely different reading. If you don't have a history of A-fib or QT prolongation, I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, you want to keep on top of things like this, but try not to worry too much.

#5 TroyLynn

TroyLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Thank you Trey, you are right I am talking about the QT interval.....I feel like I am really on my own 6 hours from my doctor, I will ask them about the corrected verses raw value.  My thyroid medicine was increased about the time I went on Sprycel, my next blood work up will be done in July.  I feel so much better on Sprycel, however if I drop dead of sudden heart failure that could affect my opinion about it : )

#6 TroyLynn

TroyLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thank you Susan, my doctor is ordering these tests long distance, I feel like such a hick....my general practitioner is in jail, good grief.  But you have given me a good goal, we are moving to Montana and I want a doctor who will explain things to me, in Dr. Shami's defense, Dederia, his nurse, told me not to worry, just go in weekly for an EKG (like I wouldn't worry about paying for it : ).

#7 TroyLynn

TroyLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience Josh, I really appreciate it.  I will try to meditate to a peaceful zone, on Sprycel I haven't been as anxious, on Gleevec it was terrible.

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

What is it with Montana?  My sister moved to Montana about 2 years ago, and I miss her so much.  Where in Montana are you moving to?

Your doing the right thing to get all this testing set up.  You will feel so much better mentallly, and there is probably nothing wrong physically.

The fact that a nurse is the one who told you not to worry, would make me want to see a doctor and hear it from him.  See a regular Cardiologist not just a GP

Susan 61

#9 TroyLynn

TroyLynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks everyone, I just had my EKG....I did not wig out : ) and I asked about the test, she said it looked good.  Everything, you all gave me was so valuable, and Simone4 thanks for getting my sense of humor.  Susan61 I am moving next to the Canadian and North Dakota border.....I haven't found a CML expert in the whole of Montana (I don't know what I will do about that yet and I am open for suggestions). Thank you, thank you. -Troy-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users