Photo

Tasigna shipment question--should I be concerned?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'll be calling Novartis about this Monday, but I'm a bit concerned about my last shipment of Tasigna.

I'm currently on the patient assistance program.  Novartis gave me a 7th month supply (I have insurance now so that will be ending in a couple of months).  This is the 5th shipment they've sent me, and I've always had it sent to my work because it has to be signed for.  They always do 2-day shipping. 

The past 4 shipments they've sent me, it's come to me no problem--they take it at the loading dock, sort it at the mailroom, and the mailroom people bring it to my cube.  This time, however, the driver wouldn't deliver because there wasn't a business name on it--there's never been one before, so I don't know what was changed.

So on Thursday, instead of receiving it at 10ish AM like usual, it never comes.  I contact Novartis for tracking and then we talk to UPS.  Basically, I have to pick it up.  The driver did not make it that night until after 7PM, so I had to pick it up at the sorting facility the next evening, where it had been stored in a climate-controlled room.

I'm concerned about the temperature.  The excursion temp is 59-86 degrees F.  Before the weather itself had been no problem until this month.  We've had days basically around 95 here, and it was shipped from MO so I'm sure they had similar temps.  So basically it was on trucks for 3 days in at least 90+ weather.  Should I be worried about the medicine having degraded?  I thought surely the problem this time with delivery was that they had labelled it as medicine and had it on ice, but this was not the case. 

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hi:  I am not on Tasigna, but I do get my Gleevec delivered packed in ice from my mail order pharmacy during the summer months.  I would contact them to tell them that you had no problem with the other shipments to your workplace, and explain that its sent to you at work so your sure you get it.

Ask Novartis about the delay and it laying there in the heat.  They might advise that you get a new shipment, or they might tell you its okay to use.

If its delivered to your name, then let them call you at your desk to go sign for it when its delivered.  You can  have them put special instructions on your label so UPS knows it can be delivered to your job also.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

It is not so fragile that this should be a concern about its effectiveness.  It would a long period of "high" temperatures to do any significant damage to the drug.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users