• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Samcerly

Samcerly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Just wondering, when you've had your biopsy have you had it with or without sedation? something to help you relax?  thanks in advance!

#2 Berkalvee

Berkalvee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I am getting a BMB done next week (first in four years) and you can bet I am asking for something to take the edge off before they yank out my sweet sweet bone marrow! When I had my previous BMB, I had no sedation, just a local anesthetic, and while it hurt pretty bad initially, it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Afterwards was a different story though.  I was sore for two weeks!  I think that because it has been so long since the last one, the anxiety has built up quite a bit so I definitely want something to relax before its done this time.  Good luck with yours, whenever it is...  Berkley

#3 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

There's a lot of discussion on the board about this topic, some people absolutely insist on sedation, others don't seem to have as much of a problem.  You might try searching for BMB or bone marrow biopsy in the search box - you'll come up with a lot of threads on the topic.

Here's my second hand experience:  My husand had a BMB a few months ago. He'd had one before, and knew what to expect, and was really dreading it.  Based on discussions I'd seen here,  I urged him to ask for conscious sedation.   Thankfully, his Dr. was more than willing to comply.  During the BMB he had a monitor for his heart rate and BP, but was not intubated.  He says he was vaguely aware of the procedure, and felt some discomfort, but it was by no means as excruciating as his past experience.  Of course his hip was still sore for the next couple of days....but all in all it was as good as could be expected!

If it were me, I'd want to be sedated.

#4 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Both times without anything other than local lidocaine shot.  I have my third coming up next week and will not being doing anything different than the last two times.  I find it uncomfortable, but not so bad that I can't tolerate it.  I find the soreness afterwards to be more bothersome than the few minutes of the actual procedure and sedation doesn't do anything for that.  So for me, I opt for less hassle and less drugs.  Everyone has a different position on this.  It has nothing to do with how tough one is.  Some people are more sensitive to the procedure than others, nothing more, nothing less.  Do what works best for you....

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#5 jamielynn

jamielynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

It does depend on the person, I watch senior citizens walk out like nothing but my partner (34) HAS to have something, Biopsies are usually worse then aspirations I have been told...

#6 RJF

RJF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi Sam,

I have a pretty high-threshold for pain, but I found the BMB to be extremely uncomfortable.  I think bone density/ thickness plays a part, which is related to both age and sex type.  I'm a 200 plus pound, 40 year old male, and the pressure needed to get the through the bone was a bit much for only a local.  I am hoping there is not a "next time".  Good luck with your BMB.

RJF

#7 Stevea

Stevea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have had a handful of bone marrow biopsies and they have all ben without any sedation.  It does get uncomfortable but I get up and walk right out of the room when it's done.  One time I was light headed so they got my a soda but besides that it wasn't bad.  It just depends on the you and who is doing it.

#8 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

I have only had one -- but they sedated me so much that they had to wake me up when it was over.  I hope it is always this easy!

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have a combination of propofol and fentanyl, they have an anesthesiologist on site at outpatient surgery at Mayo. I also have a high threshhold for pain but that doesn't mean I intend to experience it if it's at all avoidable. I'm out, don't feel a thing and I'm chatting with staff on the way back to my little recovery room. That's the way to go as far as I am concerned.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#10 SFBill

SFBill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

Its been a bit over a year since I had my BMB, but it wasn't nearly as traumatic as I'd heard.  I was only numbed with Lidocaine at the site; that injection stung a bit, but nothing major.  The actual procedure (biopsy and aspiration) wasn't painful, but only mildly disconcerting, as it felt like someone was pulling a cork out of my hip (pretty much what was happening - on a small scale); only some minor pressure.  Afterwards, I had a minor soreness of the area, but nothing a bit of OTC pain reliever couldn't take care of.

#11 MACELPatient

MACELPatient

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

It's up to the individual.  I've had 2 BMB w/ aspirations in the past 12 months and I found them uncomfortable with minor discomfort and pain only right at the end.  I only had the local anesthetic for both procedures.  I found the pain for a couple days after to be worse than the actual procedure.  Best of luck.

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hi Lucky,

Boy you got guts! I've only had 1 bmb.

The first day I found out  I had cml. My ex onc just told me to lay on my side,he never even prepared me for it. If I ever have to get another one they better knock me out,or I won't agree to the procedure,.

To tell a person she has cancer and 10 minutes later do that to me. That could throw a person in shock. And I can take a lot of pain,but never like that.

That ONC no longer works at the cc in Erie.  I must have bigger hip bones than you do.

Take Care Billie

#13 jenz

jenz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

I have had four bone marrows in 6 months.  1.) at DX (the worse because I was packed) 2.) 1 month after starting Gleevec 3.) 3 months after starting Gleevec and 4.) 6 months after starting Gleevec.

The first was absolutely the worse because I was packed and because someone inexperienced did the procedue (a fellow).  So I will never forgot that experience.  My doctor does not believe

in giving drugs unless you really need them and explained they do not do this procedure with sadation.  So my only option has been to take 1 MG of Ativan (anti-anixety medicine).  It typically

relaxes me enough to be willing to lay flat and let them do the procedure.  But I must say after the first time each time after has been better.  It still isn't pleasant to have to do them but I can

manage through it.  I also tell myself that the 20 minutes of pain and week of soreness is worth knowing how my disease isn't or is progressing. I want to stay ahead of the CML as much as possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users