24 replies to this topic

#21 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi Traci,

I get the same thing happening to me - and like you not everytime I am ovulating. The initial pain is usually around the right ovary and then radiates around and into my back. I also get muscle ache in my legs. The pain can go from a couple of hours to a day or two.

Gerry

#22 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hey thanks for your reply Traci - it really helped me while I was waiting in the ER for my ultrasound results

Apparently, they couldn't find anything weird in there and therefore couldn't give me any sort of diagnosis (they checked for appendix, kidney, and internal lady parts), except some fluid in something called the "pouch of douglas" (I never even knew that was in me?!).

Since I've been on the contraceptive pill for about 14 years, my guesses are, in this order:

1. I had some sort of ovulation (the pain started on the 7th day of "taking" the sugar pills) and the Gleevec made it more painful as you say (technically I'm not meant to ovulate, but I think you can after 7 consecutive days of being off the pill) OR

2. There was a larger cyst in there that burst and caused the fluid OR

3. Endometriosis, which I didn't know I had (because the pill has been controlling the symptoms), but has somehow become apparent due to a "change" in my immune function - http://en.wikipedia....i/Endometriosis (see causes, point 7).

Anywho, hopefully it is #1 and it gets better from here...

Thanks all,

Pin.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#23 jenz

jenz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

On Gleevec my menstral cycle didn't change at all but now on Tasigna I notice the following changes which I HATE

1.) About every 21 days I get my period (usually was every 28-32 days)

2.) Terrible cramping and extreme pain new with Tasigna

3.) Clotting like you would never believe also new with Tasigna

For the 4-5 days my period lasts I am taking ibuprofen which I normally hate doing but I literally cannot function without it during this time.

#24 Lolaboo

Lolaboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Sorry to join in this discussion late in the game but my cycle this past month has been a mess (literally!!)  I have been on Gleevec 400 mg for 3 months; in Aug I had a normal period lasting 4 days, nothing for 10 days, medium spotting for 10 days, regular period flow for last 10 days.  I am 47 so this might just be a regular run-up to menopause but I am getting kind of worried about becoming anemic.  I see my oncologist next week but I truly appreciate all of you discussing your cycle changes, I now think this might be more "normal" than I thought.  Thanks, Lisa

#25 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Pin,

Yeah, I got checked for endo too at one point.  It turned out I didn't have it, but I do remember that pain was a common complaint with endo.  I thought it occurred more when you have a period, though, but my memory is pretty fuzzy on that.  Still, I would think if it is endo, you'd feel it in multiple cycles.

I'd personally suspect #2 as the culprit.  Stress can have some amazing effects on your cycle, making them really short or really long.  Normally, you wouldn't ovulate during that week of sugar pills, but under stress, I would guess that the messed-up hormone signals bring you close to ovulation.  Then when you start taking the pill again, it interferes with the hormone signals, prevents ovulation (as it designed to do) and you get stuck with an almost mature follicle more or less in suspended animation.  Usually, the body should absorb it.  But I had a friend with one that persisted and caused her an awful lot of pain.  Maybe that's what happened to you, and it finally burst.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users