3 replies to this topic

#1 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi all,

I've been on Tasigna for 2 weeks now.  I'm currently having weekly labs.  This morning's labs had my WBC down to 2.6 and my neutrophils under 1.0 to 0.78.  I'm being told that if my neutrophils get down below 0.5, then the will take me off the drug for a week (which I do understand why).  For the most part, everything else seems to be doing ok with the lab results.  RBC coming up, hemoglobin coming up, plateletes staying in the normal range, and liver acting normal.  Since a few mini headaches in the very beginning I have not had any

other noticable side effects.  I am getting over a cough/nasal drip, but I know that was caused by other factors.

I am not really concerned since it has only been 2 weeks and my body is probably still adjusting. I just wanted to get other people's thoughts/comments/words of encouragement, etc. on this experience.

Thanks!

Stephen

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

All pretty standard.  A short break can often "reset" the issue for most people, although some can struggle over the longer term.

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

Had you been on anything before Tasigna to lower your counts?  I had begun leukopheresis and hydrea to get my count down--we had to wait forever on pathology report to confirm the Philadelphia chromosome because we had a big storm here in Oklahoma.  I was to take hydrea for a week (just 2 pills a day or something small like that) after discharge, the same time I began Tasigna, until my first follow-up a week later.

Anyway, even after I had been off the hydrea, my white counts stayed lower for about a month to a month and a half.  I think for some people, their system takes a shock going from high counts to being controlled by the TKI and takes a bit fo the factories to normalize again.  Then again there are some people who stay pretty low.

Good luck with the medication.  So far I've found it pretty bearable.  My doctor considered me in complete hematological remission after one month, so it works.

P.S. I actually have a runny nose almost every day with the Tasigna, so that may hang around with you.

#4 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thank Trey -- That's what I was figuring/hoping for.

Taylor -- I was on Hydrea for about 5 days before I started Tasigna.  At one point they had me taking 10 pills a day.  I did, however, have a 48 break from Hydrea before I started Tasigna.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users