• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

I've seen a lot of people mention still enjoying their morning coffee, and before diagnosis I was drinking three cups a day--sometimes two cups in a sitting--to keep from feeling too sluggish.  Now that my blood is sorted out and I'm on Tasigna it seems like one cup of strong coffee just sends my heart racing and I get the jitters.

Anyonw else notice this problem?  Maybe I just need to slowly build back up a tolerance so I can handle a cup every now and then.

#2 cfroncz1

cfroncz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Wow..I am so surprised. This is my first time here and I was coming to find out about any interaction between Gleevec and caffeine when I saw your post at the top of the list!!! I am seeing exactly what you are seeing...jittery and racing heart. I've been taking 400mg gleevec for just over a month now. The first 2 weeks I didn't have any caffeine. Then, I slowly started adding it back in. At first, I wouldn't have any until 2-3 hours after taking gleevec. Now, I have some before gleevec as well. I think I am having too much, causing the palpitations.  I REALLY love coffee, so if I have to stop it all together, that will really suck. It seems to be the only thing that used to relax me. Now it just causes a racing heart issue. Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to say I am having a similar issue with Gleevec. Cheryl

#3 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi all,

Prior to my diagnosis in March 2011, I was having almost 3 cups of coffee virtually every single morning.  I would consume my first cup within minutes after waking up!  I've also been on Gleevec 400mg for about a month, and I'm now only drinking one cup about 45 minutes after taking Gleevec.  Here's my routine (which seems to work for my body, but maybe not for others):

• Wake up around 6:15am
  • Small glass of water to start
  • Gleevec 400mg with a bowl of multi-grain cheerios & lightly soaked in organic milk, and a big glass of water
  • Wait about 45 minutes
  • Have a delicious cup of coffee (Seattle's Best "Henry's Blend" is my favorite) with a bit of International Foods' vanilla coffee creamer
  • Stare at the coffee pot wishing for that 2nd cup, but forcing myself to move on - just feels healthier to drink less coffee, so I'm sticking to my new consumption level

So far, that routine has served me well, although I do find that I'm pressing that 45 minute barrier down to about 20 minutes. :-)

Hope this helps -

Dan

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

OMG, Henry's Blend is the best and our store has quit carrying it!! I've just now come out of mourning and stopped wearing black. I've put myself out there and I'm trying new coffees, but it's just not the same.

I go for the real cream, though (well, half and half). I mean I already have cancer so what am I trying to be so careful for ?!

Pat

Billie,

You are a riot!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm actually pretty glad that I don't need coffee anymore like I used to, but a good strong cup every so often is something I would still like.  Hopefully I can scale back up a bit and handle it better.

#6 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

ME TOOOOO! At least when I was on Gleevec, sigh.  Sorry but coffee is my greatest guilty pleasure, throw in dark chocolate for a Mocha Latte and I have gone to heaven!!!  When on Gleevec I switched to half caff (no caff in the evening) and that helped a lot (especially if my hubby beat me to the coffee machine-he likes dark water )  Since switching to Sprycel, I stayed on the half caff/decaf routine but have been slowly sneaking in some home ground Starbucks in the mix and even bought myself an Espresso machine for Christmas this year.  Found I can now have a large double shot latte as a treat when I go shopping with no ill effects other than I turn into the energizer bunny for two hours (you aught to see me bookin' thu Walmart!  heheheh) .  I am realllllly looking forward to enjoying a good Ice cappachino if it EVER QUITS SNOWING UP HERE!!!  (yes, I am sitting here watching it snow on my gardens)

I don't smoke and never been much of a drinker (2 wine coolers and I'm half gone) but they will PRY MY COFFEE CUP FROM MY WRINKLED, COLD , DEAD HANDS!

VICKI

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#7 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

I don't drink coffee but I do have iced tea all day every day.  (Turkey Hill iced tea for those of you in eastern PA)  Caffine and sugar have never had the effect on me like they do most people - I have ADD so the stimulants actually help calm my brain down.  I can actually drike Coke or iced tea right before bed and have no problems sleeping.  I haven't noticed any changes in my tolerances or effects from caffine since being on G.

#8 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Dear me, I am sure glad that isn't happening to me, because I really NEED my coffee!  I drink 4 cups every morning just so I don't run the car into a ditch on the way to work.

One question, is it a timing thing?  I drink my coffee between 4-5 am, then take my G at around 6-8 pm at night.  Never noticed a bit of tachycardia.  Maybe you need to space out the caffeine and the G?

I think I read somewhere it takes 3-4 h for your body to process the caffeine.

Traci

#9 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

I get up and take a prilosec so I do not eat breakfast or take my Gleevec for at least 3 hours. I do however have 2 cups, not large mugs of coffee when I wake up. So far so good, but two is my limit for the day, no more caffiene after that.

MJL

#10 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thanks, Taylor,

This is turning into one of the best posts in a long time.

Billie with her XXX  rated iced latte

Vicki the Streaker

Happycat the caff-fiend

Great laughs, keep it coming!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#11 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Pat,

Caff-fiend??  Caff-fiend??  I'll have you know my use of caffeine is sheerly for medicinal purposes! 

I can get off it anytime I want...  really... any... time... like when I'm dead or something...

Traci

#12 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

HI:  I am a big coffee drinker also.  I drink about 4 cups in the morning along with my breakfast and my Gleevec, and it does not bother me with the exception of the constant urinating afterward.  Then I drink some more at night with my  husband when he is getting ready to go in for his night shift.  It does keep me up late enough to watch my news and maybe a little bit of Jay Leno.  Then I go to bed, and have no trouble sleeping.

Sometimes I feel like my coffee is the only thing worth getting up for when I am feeling down in the dumps.

My sister keeps talking about that Seattle Coffee.  She just loves it.  Right now with the price of coffee going up, I am more concerned over my coffee than I am over Gas Prices.

Susan 61

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users