• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi ~ I was diagnosed in 11/10 and began 400 mg Gleevec on Thanksgiving.  I had hit a two log reduction at 105 days and now have CBCs on a monthly basis.  My last two have indicated low red blood cell counts and white blood cell counts and elevated MCV and MCH.  Can someone offer some insight and let me know if I should be concerned, please.  Here are the numbers:

WBC  3.3

RBC   3.45

MCV  103.2

MCH   35.5

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nat

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Nat,

Not an expert, but I did look it up in my brand new copy of the Color Atlas of Hematology.  (Yeah, I'm a geek, so had to buy it.  Sometimes I need a book in my hand vs. trying to decipher fuzzy pics on the web.)

MCV is mean cell volume, and is a measure of the quality of the erythrocytes.  What it means when it is high is not explained.

MCH is a mean cell hemoglobin content, another quality measure of erythrocytes.  Again, nothing said on what a high value indicates.

My last CBC was like yours, low WBC, slightly low RBC, and high MCV, MCH.  So at least you have company!

Traci

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

According to my dog-eared black and white Atlas of Bovine Shartology, you are doing a lot better than many others.  So no concerns.  Rejoice in your lesser disadvantages.  You are doing fine.

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

Dear Traci and Nat,

Wow you two sure are getting a grasp on all these facts and figures. I can't get anything to soak in but I sure happy I have you and Trey and all the others to help me out. I think I have BDD(brain dummy disorder)  Sorry I can't give you any answers but I'm a good listener. All I can do is compare my experiences with cml to yours. but everyone is different. see (BDD)again.

Good luck Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users