• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

I just finished my 3rd wk of Gleevec.  Saw the onc yesterday.  ANC down to 1.7, WBC 2.5.  Hgb a tad on the low side, platelets good.

However, onc was interested in the pain I'd been having (arms, legs - bone and muscle).  Felt my spleen, and said he could feel the tip.  I was felt up by about 10 docs at least 3 wks ago in the hospital and no one could feel my spleen then.  So, isn't it odd to have my spleen get bigger on Gleevec?

He felt my pain was due to active CML in my bone marrow, and put me on prednisone to relieve the inflammation.  (Remember, no NSAIDS for me.)  I wasn't real happy about it, because the last time I had oral prednisone, I blew up like a toad after a week or so.  He said it was low dose, so shouldn't bother me.  He also told me to take MagOx (magnesium oxide or MgO) for the foot cramps.

So I dutifully took the MgO about 11 pm last night - meant to take in the a.m., but the cramps drove me out of bed.  Took the Gleevec about 6 pm, so hopefully that's enough time diff to not mess up the absorption of G.

Took the prednisone this a.m., as directed, 20 mg.

By this afternoon, I had a lot of abdominal pain - on the upper left, in the mid-upper, right shoulder pain, a few dull stabs in the back on right and left.  I started getting some right upper back stabs yesterday, before I took anything new, so not sure if related to new meds or not.

Pain is tolerable, but uncomfortable.  It reminds me most of the pancreatitis attack I got once in the middle of the night from a virus.  But the pain is not quite bad enough for me to say, "Oh, yeah, there's definitely something wrong, time to get to the ER."   Maybe I'm just constipated (I haven't gotten the Big D yet, and the opiates  for pain definitely tend to go the other way).  Maybe the MgO is about to sluice out my insides.  Maybe the prednisone is causing the abdominal swelling.  Or it's runaway AML.  (Can't help thinking that.)

Anyway - do I call the doc??  Or give it awhile and see what happens??

TIA, I really appreciate how helpful you all are!

Traci

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Can't tell for sure, but just looks like normal adjusting to the Gleevec.  The doc probably should not have given you the prednisone and allow nature to take its course.  Some docs can feel spleens, and others can't.  Some just think they feel something.  Overall you sound rather normal.

#3 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

When I was diagnosed, I had no symptoms at all, I was not sick.  I went for routine physical and doctor called me back with blood work results and told me I had leukemia.  In the weeks that followed, as treatment began, I started to experience various things, some of them being abdominal pains (in the area of the spleen), very low grade fever, red dots on my skin.  Over time these things settled down and went away.  Was it the CML, the treatment, the stress, or a combination of things?  Hard to say, but I agree most of what you are describing sounds normal in relation to what I went through.  Only you know for certain how you feel and if something feels really wrong.  So use your judgement, but chances are you will be okay and over time your body will settle into things.

Hope you feel better soon.

P.S. with regard to feeling the "tip" of the spleen.  They poked me so much when I was diagnosed because they were unsure if they felt the "tip" or not.  They poked so much that they made it hurt.  When they were done, I asked if it was enlarged or not, she told me she couldn't tell, but it didn't matter because if it wasn't large enough that it was obvious it was enlarged, then it wasn't large enough to be a problem.  So if they can barely tell if they can feel the tip, it should be fine.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#4 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

That's why I thought, I sounded normal for a person on G.  I think the new NP that took down my symptoms went a bit overboard when she related it to the doctor.  Or else he went overboard on it.  Heck, it was hot here last week, so what if I was a little sweaty a few nights?

Traci

#5 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, Lucky.

Huh, I wonder if my abdomen hurt the next day from having it pressed on the day before?

I agree with you.  I felt perfectly healthy when they dx'd me.  Now, 3 wks later, I'm feel like crap.  Can't help but blame the Gleevec and the other drugs.

Traci

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

Dear Traci,

Same thing here I had a routine blood test cbc was 90,000 I felt fine. Onc put me on G alloperinol and something else 6pills a day for 3days I got so sick I don't remember much from that first week. 3 weeks later temp 103 had pneumonia in hospital 5 days had to have 2 pints of blood trans. My pneumonia cleared up after 5 days but I was still running a fever up and down 103 or less. They called in the cdc ran a zillion tests everything negative so they sent me home. During the time I was on G over 3 years about once a month I would get really sick nausea the big D temp around 103 I couldn't get out of bed except for bathroom the next day I would be fine. I am so glad to be off G and on S I still have side effects from S but nothing like G.  So try to hang in there kiddo It all hit's all of us differently but eventually it does get better. Much better than the consequenses.         Take Care    Billie----Fear is a big factor too I found that out every ache or pain or anything you feel out of the ordinary is not cml.

#7 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Billie,

Wow!  I'm having it pretty easy compared to you!  Glad things have gotten better for you.   Seems the biggest thing I'm dealing with now is the pain, but it's better than the alternative of untreated CML, so I'll take it.

Thanks for sharing,

Traci

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:50 AM

Hi Traci,

I hope you're feeling better. I just had a crazy thought (that's me anyway) have you ever had you're gall bladder tested? I have had 2 gall bladder attacks in my life, once when I was pregnant with my son 1,000 years ago. I was only 21 but I kept getting these horrible stabbing pains all over my body.Back,arms,joints,stomache,chest,etc. I went to doc I thought I was having a heart attack, he said it was an air pocket in my gall bladder. He gave me some meds and I was fine. Then in 1992 over 20 years later I was on vacation in Jamaca for 5 days. The day before I left I got horrible chest pains and sharp pains all over. Once again I thought I was having a heart attack. I don't know if you've ever seen a picture of a hospital in Jamaca but that's the last place you ever want to be. Those people are so pathetically poor our city mission looks like the Taj Majal in comparison. The Resort where I was staying called in a doctor ,by then I thought forget the doc call a priest. The Doc took one look at me gave me a shot of some kind of medicine in my wrist and within 15 min. the pain went away. He said I was having a Gall Bladder attack and he gave me some pills to take until I got home and told me to see my doc. I was fine I took the pills for a couple days and never had a problem again. I never went to my doc either. I asked the Jamacan Doc what he gave me he just said they do things differently in his country. But for him to know right away what was wrong with me, can you imagine what they would put me through in the states? tests,hospital,etc..I haven't had a problem since. He said it was probably the different kind of food I was eating. It was an amazing experience, I really wonder how much the fda is holding back from us.And why are they getting away with it. Look what they are doing with the John Kansius project? Everything they can to hold it up when it could probably be saving thousands of lives. But in Jamaca and probably many other countrys they have the knowledge to cure so many things but our FDA is after the big bucks.There I go I wrote another novel, things like that bother me so much how much control the gov't has over our lives and how many lives could be saved except for their greed. It wouldn't hurt to check your gall bladder out if you don't start feeling better.

Good Luck Billie

Oh I don't think you're having it easier than me I don't think I could cope with 3 kids a job and cml. After my first husband died my kids were already grown and gone so I was able to work and save a little money to go on a couple vacations. I was a waitress for many years. Boy did I sell a lot of chicken wings. Going on group vacations and cruises is probably cheaper than traveling with 3 kids. All you have to do is watch what you spend once you're on those trips.

Seven years later I met my Hubby now and I have no more desire to travel, I just feel bad 7 years after we got married I got cml and he takes such good care of me. This is supposed to be our Golden Years. Yeah Right. I try not to complain to much . But at our age we don't hear so good anyway. Take Care!

#9 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

Happycat - (love your screen name by the way!)

If it were me, I'd ask to have an ultrasound to see if your spleen is enlarged.  Its a simple test,  no needles, just a paddle with that cold sticky stuff on it.    My husband's onc. sent him in for an ultrasound right away after diagnosis, basically just to be sure.  It wasn't enlarged, so that was good to know. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users