• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

WOW...glad I never had one at diagonsis.  I had my first ever bone marrow test yesterday....my bone is still sore!  Apparently I have very strong bones since the doctor had to use 2 different needles to get through the bone...my husband said I'm a trooper since he witnessed it!  The doctor even asked if I drink lots of milk .

Asked about the fatigue - doctor admitted it could be from the tasigna although said that I'm his only patient who has really complained about it...but then he also mentioned that I'm his youngest patient.  So we are thinking since I am go-go-go all the time because I have to be with working, kids, husband, baseball for the boys, that my body doesn't get any down time and therefore between the tasigna and my life - its wearing on me.  So I did feel a little better mentally after we discussed that.  Asked about decreasing the dosage - he said no - I'm on the minimum there is.  He asked if I wanted to switch to a different med if the fatigue is that difficult.  I said not at this time - because its more annoying than difficult.  I have difficult days - but not weeks/months.  Besides, I explained, I think all the TKI drugs have fatigue as a side effect so I might as well keep trucking along with what I know works.

So I go back in 3 months...get labs every month.  Will get the PCR and cytogenics of the bone marrow test back in about 10 days.  He said as long as that is zero or close to zero, he doesn't expect to need to do another bone marrow test!  The rest of the time we'll do PCR through labs.  Thank Goodness!  Don't want to do THAT again!

Here's hoping for the BIG zero.....

#2 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

My husband almost passed out watching me get the BMB.  I was laying there taking it the best I could and my husband got sheet white and said "I'm goin down."  The nurse left go of my hand to help him and I yelled "hell no - if I have to take a spear in my a## you are going to stand there and watch it!"  I actually heard the Onc chuckle

Anyway - here's hoping for the big zero!

Heather

#3 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I described it as the feeling of having my a** turned inside out.

Glad you got through it and keeping fingers crossed for good results.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#4 Emily87

Emily87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

haha Same thing happened to me during my BMB, Janner!! My doc actually had to stand on a step stool to get more leverage so he could get thru the bone. He told me I must drink lots of milk, because my bones are so strong. LOL.

Here's hoping for good numbers for you!

#5 angel07

angel07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

Same here, I had my doc workin' it. He was sweating and took off his lab coat. He gave me the same --you must drink a lot of milk speech too  

#6 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

HeatherZ wrote:

My husband almost passed out watching me get the BMB.  I was laying there taking it the best I could and my husband got sheet white and said "I'm goin down."  The nurse left go of my hand to help him and I yelled "hell no - if I have to take a spear in my a## you are going to stand there and watch it!"  I actually heard the Onc chuckle

Anyway - here's hoping for the big zero!

Heather

Heather, that is absolutely hysterical!  I'll bet the doc was relating that story all over the hospital!

They sent my dh out of the room when they did mine, told him to go eat dinner.

Traci

#7 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Traci - I think he was also chuckling because the whole time I was laying there I was making comments like Happy Gilmore when he is in the batting cage letting the baseballs hit him ("Oh yeah, that feels good, love this sh##...." all being said through clenched teeth).  I know the nurse was chuckling at me.  I cope best through humor and I really needed it that day!

#8 Berkalvee

Berkalvee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:31 AM

So this reminds me of what my onc's office assistant said to me the other day.  I asked her what I needed to do to get my dr to prescribe me some Valium for the day that I get my BMB done, since it has been a little over 4 years since my last one and I have just built up the anxiety in my head about how much it could/will hurt. (if I recall, my dr did a really good job and it only really hurt several hours after he was done) Guess what her reply was... "Well, he will give you a local when he does it." So matter of factly, as if I had no business asking for anything else to help out with the pain or anxiety.  I could have died.  I was like "no sh*t he gives me a local, but sometimes that isn't enough!"  I was thinking about the fact that due to the potential for the severe pain regardless of the "local," as she so succinctly put it, I just wanted something to take that would lessen the anxiety and help me relax that's all.  For god's sake, my dentist gave me Valium whenever I had a tooth pulled, you would think that this wouldn't be an uncommon question considering the procedure involved, right?  I guess it is safe to say that she has never had a BMB done on herself, otherwise she might not be so insincere on the matter.  Just figured that you all might find this amusing.  Luckily, my dr doesn't believe in doing these god forsaken BMB's all that often, so assuming that all is still good, hopefully I won't have to do another one for a long, long time.  Berk

#9 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Just wanted to give an update since looks like there have been a few positive ones lately...

Doctors office had called about 2 weeks ago to give me the cytogenic results from the bone marrow test (all normal ).  They never called me back to give me the PCR results...so I called and just had the results of both tests faxed to me - and good news is that the PCR showed 0.002%...so let's just say - BIG ZERO!  Which means - unless something goes south as far as the blood PCRs...NO MORE BONE MARROW TESTS - WAHOO!!!!!

6 months and I'm all good .  Fatigue is still here...but I'll take the big zero and run with that news!  Thank God for modern medicine!!!!!

Janice  

#10 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

How wonderful!!! CONGRATS on the good news, think it time to do something special----you so deserve it!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY, prayers to all, grannyd

#11 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Congratulations on your speedy healing!  What a miracle the drugs are for you!  Hope the fatigue goes away.

All the best,

Teds

#12 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi:  That is fantastic news.  I know that feeling.  I was so glad when I was told no more BMB.  I have been doing just PCR testing now since 2003 when my results came back PCRU.  I also feel blessed that I have been able to stay on the Gleevec all this time, and have not had to switch drugs.

God Bless and May you continue to do good.

Susan 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users