Wouldn't you know it? I felt fine taking the Gleevec before vacation, but on the drive down the Williamsburg, the pain set in. (It's a tradition with me. I have to have something making me miserable during vacation. Last year it was poison ivy.)
Anyway, I'm having persistent pain in my forearms and thighs. The forearms are the worst. I sometimes get joint pain (elbow, wrist, knee), and a little bit of finger pain. It's mostly a dull ache, but sometimes it's throbbing and very strong. It even had me crying one night, and I gave birth to twins naturally (not by choice) and never cried then, so this pain was pretty strong.
I'm looking for any suggestions I haven't tried that have worked for you. Here's what I've tried and some things I can't do:
1) Ibuprofen - can't take it any more (doctor's orders, they think I've been on it too long already for my neck injury, causing clotting problems, so that's out
2) Other NSAIDS - Aleve, Naproxen, etc. - I'm allergic to aspirin, and other NSAIDs are generally not prescribed for me because of the aspirin allergy.
3) Tylenol - just doesn't do much for it. It's not an anti-inflammatory, so that doesn't surprise me. Doc has limited me to 3 x 500 mg per day for pain, but I don't see the point of taking it if it doesn't help.
4) Vicodin (5 mg with tylenol) - also doesn't do much. Mind you, that was leftover vicodin prescribed after a dental implant, so maybe I just need a stronger dose??
5) Heat seems to help, a hot shower, or heating pad - but pain comes back fairly quickly
6) ICY HOT - this has helped the most, but I only do it at bedtime so I don't walk around smelling like my arthritic grandma. I'm not sure if it is the heat that helps, or if it's the methyl salicylate in it (an aspirin analog, so it's anti-inflammatory). Since it doesn't get into the bloodstream (not large enough amounts anyway), I can use the ICY HOT, even though I should technically be allergic to it.
7) Flexeril - 10 mg. Not sure how much this has helped, if at all. How do you tell muscle spasm pain from bone pain? If it's muscle spasm, it ought to help. I've been taking it at night, along with other stuff, so I never took it alone and can't really judge effectiveness.
8) Bananas - I was having some foot cramps, seemed to help with those. But not the forearm/thigh pain.
9) Zrytec/singulair - I already take these for my allergies, so I am getting whatever concomitant benefit they might provide, but it's not enough for the pain.