• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has had heart palpitations or a strange heart rhythm since on tasigna?

I've been on tasigna since dx (7/10) and since then I've had heart palpitations that come and go.  I recently noticed when i feel my pulse during the palpitations I feel a skipped beat along with each 'jump' i feel.  It's like my heart skips a beat and then jumps to catch up.

Anyway, I've had a handful of EKG's all normal and my doctor isn't concerned.  But should I try to push for more testing?

Sometimes I wonder if she's too lax. She's a good doc, but after my 6 mo. check up she was like, see ya in 6 mos, okay? before that at my 3 mo. check up she was like see you in 3 mos.  It just seems like everyone here goes to the onc much more than i do.  but maybe that's good? I'm not having problems other than the heartbeat issue.

I'm in no pain, but with all of the prolonged QT syndrome warnings and all that with tasigna, it makes me feel uneasy.

Asmaa

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

The QT prolongation is probably not a factor at all.   I too worried about it at first but go to a cardiologist (hope you do also) every six months. They have me on a couple blood pressure meds and it keeps my BP at about 115/72. I also have heart skips but they have always been there I guess. You can't  determine a QT prolongation by feeling your pulse.

Here's a link to a posting Trey made regarding this issue: http://community.lls.org/message/87543

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#3 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

I too am on tasigna and occaisonally have heart palptiations or heart racing...feels like its in my throat...I had a full cardio workup - Echocardiogram, EKG, stress test - all were fine...my cardio said he could do more expensive tests, but really felt my heart was fine!  So we have chalked it up to the medicine....

If you don't feel comfortable with what the doctor is telling you - keep pushing!  I've found it comes and goes...

Good luck!

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

There are several types of arrithmias, but generally speaking only the ventricular type are a problem, but they are more rare.  If you experience dizziness along with them, that is a problem.  Or if they continue for more than a few seconds, that is a problem.  If one of these issues occurs and/or persists, ask for a heart event monitor.  But many of us have them occasionally, whether on Tasigna or other TKIs.

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/003081.htm

http://heartdisease....alpitations.htm

#5 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thank You for the replies.

I'm 29 and otherwise healthy so my onc. never has mentioned a cardiologist and my BP seems to stay around 110/70.  

but i was thinking of asking for that heart monitor test that you wear at home.

when you say "last longer than a couple seconds" what do you mean?  I get a jump/palpitation, then it's over, then i may get a few more after that.  on and off throughout the day.

I had them before this, they went away for a few months and are back.  but now for the past few weeks i have had them daily.

does anyone notice any triggers for theirs?  I mean, do you seem to have more if you consume caffeine or certain foods, not drink enough water etc?  I'm just wondering what the possible cause could be of them disappearing and reappearing.

#6 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

I have this issue on Gleevec.  Just this past month it seemed a bit excessive and it was on the heels of another issue where I was experiencing dizziness.  I started at an ENT for the dizziness, they didn't find anything and basically feel it is environment related (ie congestion deep in the sinus, possibly from allergies.)  I don't feel congested but they told me back by my ears, there was congestion.  Anyway, they put me on Nasonex.  I've had the heart palps all along, but they would come and go, very fleeting, never made me worry too much, just felt weird to lose my breath and at the moment it was scary.  After I started the Nasonex they got more frequent and I felt them more, I also felt pain in the chest.  All the doctors said it wasn't the Nasonex, but I read about a lot of people saying they had this side effect.  To be on safe side my onc had me go see cardiologist.  They had me do an EKG, echo, stress echo, and 24 hour halter monitor.  I have a follow up with Dr next week to go over results, but preliminary results said everything looked fine.  I had asked specifically about the QT interval and she said she could see that on the EKG and it was fine.  So in your case if you have had the EKG and it looks ok then it probably isn't anything to do with QT interval.

Is there anything else that you are taking that could be causing the issue?

At the end of the day, they are basically telling me that they think it is stress related.  I did notice that the worst episodes were at the end of a day when I had pushed myself too hard.  Stress can have this effect.  You are doing the right thing by following up and probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to see cardiologist just to make sure.  While I felt there was likely no issue, I thought it was a good opportunity to establish some baselines.  This way down the road if there are any issues, they have something to look at from early on in treatment and see if there are any changes.

You are most likely fine, this appears to be somewhat common among our group.

Hope you feel better soon.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#7 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

I have been on Tasigna for about 10 weeks now and I have also experienced heart palpitations. I have had multiple EKG's and all have been fine. My QT interval has elongated, but is still normal. I also wore a heart monitor for two weeks to keep track of the events and everything came back fine. They told me I did have some arrythmias, but they were not ventricular, which is important. Mine are definitely more prominant after my evening dose for some reason. Mine usually just last one beat and then subsided....It's definitely not "comfortable", but once you know that they most likely won't lead to your heart failing, it puts your mind at ease and in some ways may even cause the palpitations to be less frequent. There were a few nights when I would just wait for the next one in fear, but that just made it worse! You are most likely just fine! Be well! -Josh

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hi Lucky,

I get a bit of dizziness, figure it is related to the Glivec - occurs when I am doing my yoga and I sit up after lying on the floor doing stretches. Doesn't seem to occur when I wake up in bed as my head is elevated with a pillow. At one stage I had it when I was walking around but that part seems to have settled down now. It is different to the type of dizziness I can get on occassion, where I can roll over in bed and feel dizzy - this is caused by having a small piece of calcium floating in your ear canal, there are exercises that can help with this.

Gerry

#9 Deodara

Deodara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi, and thanks for sharing your experiences, it helps me so much to read it and not to feel alone with my problems.

CML on glivec since dec2006 and now on tasigna. My arrhytmia is exactly as Asmaa describes, and it's been necessary asking the doctor cause it became to be severe. I should like to know what have you discover about it cause they're now analyzing the electrolytes levels in my blood due to the unbalance of them can cause arrhytmia (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium....). So the first thing I needed to do was eliminate any salt in my meals. My last experience is that this arrhytmia's specially connected with the amount of food I eat and if I'm gainig weight or not. Any one on tasigna has both problems together: weight changes and arrhytmia?  Or maybe abnormal sodium, magnesium....blood levels?

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Dear Asmaa,

I went on Sprycel last nov. after being on Gleevac for over 3 years. I am getting heart palpitations also and it's wierd because I can feel them in my head at the same time. My left carotid artery is 100% blocked I've had vascular problems for quite a while. I see my cardiologist every 6 mos and every year he does the full cardio workup cardiogram,echo,I even have to get the nuclear stress test once a year.

Vas.Disease eventually lead to Cardio disease which I showed the first signs of it last year. When I saw my onc's asst. in Jan. she said she heard a heart murmur. Which I never had before I am wondering if it's from the Sprycel. I lose my balance a lot too does anyone else have that problem? (Michael is going to tell me to lay off the sauce). I am not giving up my 2 glasses of wine every night! Besides onc and cardio dr's told me to do it.

But I have had this problem a long time before cml actually my cardio doc found my cml in my 6 mo bw. I didn't have it 6 mos before that. My problem is basically hereditary.

It wouldn't hurt to have a cardio doc give you a full workup just to ease your mind.

Sincerely    Billie

#11 Shalom

Shalom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

As I mentioned  before I had a heart racing for about 20 minutes but, I am able to get ready and drive to the hospital I don't feel any other symtom, but I am not happy about the diagnostic of my cardiology. Anyway for the second time having this racing heart all I am thinking is that I need a second opinion.

#12 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi Blimber,

I've had a few ups and downs with heart "issues" as well.  I'm on Tasigna so the long QT was a big concern for me.  But I've been on the meds six months and the last EKG was in June (all were OK), and I haven't dropped dead yet, so I think I'll be okay with that.  There are a few suggestions I'd like to offer. First, if you ever have any pain with your heart racing then I would get it checked out ASAP.  But, how fast is your heart?  I have been stressed and anxious with this and a few other things in my life, so unless I am very relaxed my heart is more elevated than it should be--between 100 and 110 beats a minute. Sometimes I wake up with a racing heart, but it's just anxiety and an adrenaline spike from all the stress.  It might just be some anxiety.  It's a hard disease to deal with especially after you're first diagnosed.  I was having a lot of palpitations and skipped beats (PVCs), but the last few days I have been extremely relaxed without anxiet and I haven't had really any palpitations or high heart rates.  So I guess my point is, a high heart rate without any pain or dizziness, light headedness, or faintness is probably okay.

#13 Shalom

Shalom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

The first time I got a heart racing they did a lot of test at the hospital, EKG, ECHO, Stress Test, and the blood one the one that detect for any heart attack I don't remember the name, also my Onc send me to MRI, and when I did the stress test in the threadmill the cardiology told me to go home that my heart was in perfect conditions but now I got another one a couple of days ago and they did EKG, and X-rays, blood test and they keep saying my heart is OK. I don't know I am very scare, I am also in my 6th months on Gleevec and this week is have been really bad for me, everytime I took the gleevec I have a weir feeling like my heart is going to race again. I don't konw is getting really difficult this week. I hope this pass very soon.

#14 MDeRosia

MDeRosia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Based on what I read, you should be having those EKGs at least monthly.

#15 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Blimber my friend, I fear you are suffering from extreme stress and anxiety, I can hear it in your posts.  While it is possible that you do have a heart problem, the reality is that you have done everything you should.  You went to the doctor, they checked you out and they said everything is alright.  Most likely, based on what the doctors are telling you, your heart is fine.  Only you know your body and if you are really concerned then you must go back and have them look again.  However, if it were me (remember I had this same issue a few months back) I think you should consider going to speak to someone who specializes in emotional trauma.  A cancer diagnosis is very traumatic and for the first few months you are basically in shock.  As things settle down, your treatment is underway and your mind and body are coming out of that heightened state, the trauma has taken its toll and it looks like it is presenting itself physically.  Speaking with a professional counselor or therapist can be very therapeutic and it may relieve the symptoms you are experiencing if they are in fact stress related.  You have nothing to lose by going, often your oncologist will be able to put you in touch with someone if you are unable to find someone on your own.  You can also contact L&LS and they can help you to find someone.

I'm sorry you are feeling so uncomfortable, but based on what the doctors are telling you, it really seems like this could be anxiety and stress and for that I hope you will consider speaking with someone who can help you find some peace and relax and maybe feel a little better.

Best of luck to you......

#16 Shalom

Shalom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

Thank you my friend, honestly that really make me stand up and going to do my general blood test today and look for help definately thats my plan today, it is a fact that I suffered from anxiety before the diagnosis so you are right this for me is really hard and I can see that if they already did all the test they had I should be a little bit of calm, but my trauma gets me nervous and be paying atention all day to my heart, and thats what I do I never pay too much attention to my heart and body, is like evey move in my stomach, leg or shaking in my arm, makes me nervous and thats true is everrything in my mind. Thank you my friend I willl go ahead and look for some profecioneal help today.

#17 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

I  wanted to add a couple of things here that i've learned in dealing with my chronic palpitations since i first wrote this post. I just turned 30, and besides the cml, i am in good health. not overweight, never smoked cigarettes, never drink alcohol, no high blood pressure, not at risk for heart disease etc.  all of my heart tests have been normal and my oncologist said she is not concerned about the palpitations at all.  I have just now hit my 1 year post diagnosis anniversery and went for my bone marrow bio, so I've been on tasigna for a full year and am pretty relaxed now, and over the anxiety and shock of it all, but i still have the palpitations, which come and go. sometimes i don't have them for weeks and other times i'll have them every day, throughout the day.   palpitations always cause an uneasy feeling, but i wanted to just share a few things that have helped me.

#1 it's no coincidence that many of us started gleevec or tasigna, and then started having palpitations. It's obviously a side effect, just not reported in the literature that comes with the meds. Probably because they have to be sure that you report any heart issue to your onc to rule out long QT syndrome.

#2 once ekg's come back normal and heart problems are ruled out, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!  it only makes it worse. if you feel the palpations coming on (and you have no pain), just keep doing what your doing and try your best to ignore them or you'll drive yourself crazy. your mental health has a strong effect on your physical health, so try to make that a positive effect to the best of your ability.

#3 cut back on the caffeine.  cafeine by itself (without throwing tki's in the mix) can bring on palpitations. 

#4 take some supplements.  i read that palpitations can be caused by electrolyte imbalances. I started taking magnesium and potassium supplements and the palpitations seem to be less frequent, maybe it's in my mind, but i figured it can't hurt.

#5 drink a good amount of water, and eat alot of fresh veggies.  yes, it may sound silly, but the bad effects i have from these meds, including a year long rash, are much much better when i eat healthier.  when i eat more salads, raw veggies, and fruits,  and less meat and dairy- the better my rash is, the less it itches and the better i feel.  seriously.  so many of us are NEVER talked to by our oncs about nutrition.  you'd be shocked if you did some research on cancer and nutrition.  it really does help, a GREAT deal!  whose body can fight a disease better, one that is healthy or one that is suffering from so many ailments that cancer is just one of the many things their body is dealing with? just some food for thought

again, just some things that have helped me, everyone is different

#18 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

Great post Asmaa, I agree 100% with everything you said.  This has been my experience as well at just over 1 yr on Gleevec.

#19 Shalom

Shalom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thank you Asmaa for sure is a great post, and good info for new people like me.

#20 Deodara

Deodara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

I had the same problem (I wrote some post months ago). My advice: see a naturist or nutricion physician looking for SYSTEMIC CANDIDIASIS 

Maybe induced by medicines we take or the inmunossuppresion, but it's a fact that my arrhythmia disappeared with antifugal treatment. I hope it helps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users