#1 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi, I was on Tasigna for 3 days and developed pancreatitis. I remember reading on here that someone else had this and I thought that they said they had it a couple times. Is that true? I was wondering what my chances are if I go back on Tasigna at a reduced dosage is it possible I'm going to get this again? I know there are lots of factors in this but I was looking for anyones experience in taking Tasigna and if they got pancreatitis especially more then once?

I really don't want to go through that pain again. I let it go for a couple days thinking it was just bad side effects I won't do that again my enzymes were really high. I have one more week off Tasigna as my enzymes weren't down to normal yet Yeh . My doctor is still deciding if he wants me on a reduced dosage or go to the 3rd one! He is talking with another doctor who has more experience with Tasigna.

thank you, 

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#2 MarcW

MarcW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hello Cathy,

I'm newly diagnosed (Nov. '10) with CML. My Oncologist placed me on 600 mg daily dose of Tasigna.  I experienced debilitating cramps within a few days of taking the medicine.  Eventually wound up in the emergency room where I was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

What worked for me is to build up a tolerance to a full dosage by taking the medication gradually.  My Onc suggested I start by taking a ¼ dosage for the first couple of days. If my body tolerated the small dosage then work up to ½, then ¾ etc... It took me about a month, but I'm tolerating the full dosage much better now.  Also, watch the food you eat and follow the rule of no eating 2 hours before or 1 hour after taking the medication.

Hope this helps!

#3 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Marc,

Thank you so much for the information I knew someone else on here had the same experience. I assume that is what is going to happen he'll just put me on a lower dose its good to know it worked on you and you have not got Pancreatitis back again.I do follow the rules when taking the mecdince and I've always  watched what I eat and follow a low fat diet. 

Thank so much have a good day!

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users