• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

The United States Government now considers prolonged benzene exposure to be a presumptive cause of CML.  I challenged them on the basis their information was incomplete and insufficient to refute my claim, and I won the case.  I was exposed to benzene through well water and tap water while stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC for 3 years in the 1970's.  I was diagnosed with CML in 2006 and my Oncologist told me the only two known causes were high dose radiation(Hiroshima bomb) and prolonged benzene exposure. Through extensive research I was able to show cause.  The center for disease control defined prolonged exposure over acceptable levels to be 1 year.  At Camp Lejeune I was exposed to over 1000 times the accepted levels for 3 years.  The Department of the Navy ordered several studies because so many servicemen and their families were experiencing a myirad of otherwise rare diseases(unusual birth defects, many types of cancers and blood disorders, male breast cancer etc.etc.).  The Department of Veteran Affairs now has a special claims unit that handles nothing but Camp Lejuene related cases.  The claims are so extensive that presumption is now the norm.  Do your research through the Camp Lejeune case and you will discover definitive scientific data that can't be mistaken for anything but conclusive evidence that indeed CML is caused by prolonged exposure to benzene  

#22 lasmith58

lasmith58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

WOW - I used a cleaning solvent in the Air Force for over 20 years that has benzene in it.  I retired in 96 and was dx in 06 also.  Thank you for posting the information and taking on Uncle Sam.  I was told by VA reps for years that I only had 1 year to file against them for cancer.  I am going to take the info and run with it.  I can only work every other day now and hope this gets me some help.

#23 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

Dear Eithne, You read my mind. I have been trying to find those bracelets. A few months back a woman I think she was from Canada was dx with cml. She has a teenage daughter that makes the bracelets and sells them for $1.00 a piece. So far she had raised $33,000 for the cancer society. If any of us has cml or any type of cancer just e-mail her and she will send you a free one. Maybe Trey still has that info. I meant to write the address down I just forgot but I had my #$$%%&&##@@ computer that erased all my addresses. This is my 3rd computer in about 6 mos. We have this mutual understanding (We both hate each other) Windows 7 is very bad unless you know what you're doing  which I don't.  So if you hear from anyone would you please let me know. I would rather order her bracelets,and send her a donation. If I'm out and about I'll pick some up for you. My e-mail is with my profile.

Sincerely Billie

one of these days I'll get this picture straightened out.

Nobody seems to know how to.Work this #@$%&$##% computer

#24 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Ok, I'm sure this is a ridiculous theory for the cause of CML ... but I can't think of any obvious exposure to radioactivity or benzene that would've caused CML in my case.

I have, however, used Skin Bracer Aftershave Original (http://www.colgate.c...SkinBracer.cvsp) almost daily since the mid 1980's.  Benzoic acid is one of the ingredients, but I really can't find any hard data that would suggest that benzoic acid can form and/or create traceable amounts of benzene in a substance like Skin Bracer.

Yeah, it's a stretch.......

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#25 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

I am sorry but Old Spice uses benzoic acid...an entirely different molecular structure than benzene(benzene is a petroleum by-product)

#26 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'll take it as a positive, because I can keep using Skin Bracer, LOL.

The search continues.  Perhaps it was the bus fumes from my summer touring days in drum & bugle corps in the late 1980s?  Perhaps it's the result of breathing jet fuel fumes from my work travels (I've been flying ~ 75,000 miles/year for the past 5 years)?  Maybe the cleaning agents that have been used in the hotels from my heavy work travels?  I've speculated on all of these things, but I just can't seem to point to one obvious thing that could've caused this CML mess.....

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#27 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

Actually, structurally benzene and benzoic acid are very similar.  However, the differences are what's important.  Benzene is a flat, planar molecule that can slip in between DNA base pairs.  You've seen that helical model of DNA?  There's a groove in it, like a circular staircase.  Benzene can slip in that groove because it is nice and flat.  

Benzoic acid is benzene with a carboxylic acid which kinda sticks out like a propeller on one side.  This will at least partially interrupt DNA intercalation (slipping in between base pairs).

Then there's electronic effects.  The carboxylic acid changes the reactivity of the benzene ring.  Benzene may readily metabolize in the body to produce a reactive radical species which then damages the DNA (only if it's in close contact with DNA - i.e., intercalated.  If it isn't close to DNA, it will simply react with whatever is closest.).  Benzoic acid, because it is less "electron rich", will either not react in the body to produce a radical, or if it does, the radical itself is more stable, and thus less likely to cause damage.  (Stable chemical entities can exist on their own.  Unstable chemical entities will react with something else to produce a stable entity.)

In fact, you've probably ingested benzoic acid many times, as it is often used as a food preservative.  If you read food labels and see anything that says sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate, these are simply salt forms of benzoic acid.

Thus ends the chemistry lecture....

Traci

#28 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

You are absolutely right.  However, my focus is not on the insignificant exposures to benzene derived from reactions to benzoic acid.  Instead, it is on the lethal levels through well water, tap water and other extreme sources.  We can help each other.  My ego went out the window the day I was diagnosed.  I have proved the connection to the government, but I kept focused.  If you try to lecture to the government you will lose.

#29 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hey, couldn't help myself - gotta use that chemistry PhD I obtained when I can!

I'm impressed you got the gov't to agree with you and I'm wondering just how far it will go.  I can see that chronic exposure to benzene could cause DNA damage leading to leukemia.  I can even envision a theory to explain why AML might be more prevalent with benzene exposure than CML, since that is what epidemiological studies show.  However, that theory would still allow for other translocations, like those leading to CML, to occur.  Just need the science to catch up with the theory!

Traci

#30 mbourne

mbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

I would be happy to send you bracelets, no charge for CMLers. My daughter would be happy to send a message of hope and love. I am unsure how to provide to you perhaps the website could intervene. I have post back to some inquires and they seem to be deleted, maybe because I left mt email address. Could somone just let me know. I could mail them to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and go from there. Well, whatever you suggest. I do not mind people knowing my email, just let me know.

Thanks.

Michelle

#31 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

I'm not buying this benzene crap. Thousands- perhaps hundreds of thousands of people have been exposed to benzene over the years yet very few of those people have had CML. There has to be another factor.

GF

#32 SteveFried

SteveFried

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

well as I've "lived" in fuels, chemicals & cleaners for forty years it's the ONLY thing that makes sense to ME!

#33 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

My unscientific opinion is that it is just a matter of chance.  I believe there are factors that can increase your risk, benzene and radiation being two of them.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#34 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

My grand dad, uncles, cousins,etc on my moms side of the family have worked in the oil refineries in Texas for many, many years and none of them have ever developed CML or any other leukemia. There has to be something else.

GF

#35 mbourne

mbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hi,

I seem to be having trouble with sending emails, so I will try another way. I apologize if you have received this email twice.

I received your email regarding winning a case against the United States Government linking your Benzene exposure to you developing CML. If possible could you give me further information or links so that I could obtain the research for your case?

My husband has developed CML and he has had a signifigant exposure to Benzene as well as many other chemicals. He works as an industrial electrician in the Chemical plants. At one time he was repeatedly washing instruments in Benzene with bare hands. This was a common practice. We needs solid evidence that links Benzene exposure to developing CML.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer. My husbands WSIB (Canadian) appeal is dated for Oct 27/11.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Michelle

P.S. It is my daughter who has been making the Love Beads for Leukemia bracelets. We would love to send you some.

#36 mbourne

mbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi,

I have tried to post to you before with no luck. I just talked to LLS technical support and I am now trying another way.

So, My daughter is the one who makes the Love Beads for Leukemia bracelets and she would love to send you a bracelet, no charge just a message of hope and love.

My email is scot41@sympatico.ca please just email where I can mail them to.

Take care.

Michelle

#37 mbourne

mbourne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hi GF,
The second link would be a predisposition to the Philadelphia Chromosome aberration. You are correct, my husband works as an industrial electrician in the chemical plants.He works along side thousand who have not developed a disease. However there unfortunately is a high incidence rate of cancer in his area of work. He repeatedly cleaned instruments in Benzene with bare hands, this was the practice. He was not the only worker instructed to do this. However the group he worked with in this particular job all have cancer. None of them have CML, but one has died from AML, there is kidney cancer, bowel cancer, testicular and one unfortunate gentleman who had an unknown primary with multiple metastases. So research has proven that AML is definitively caused by exposure to Benzene. The research is small and undetermined (not eliminated) as to whether CML is caused from Benzene.
There is lots of research to be found however more is needed to come up with a definitive decision and no one seems to be putting the funds into it. The number of CML patients is much less that of say AML and therefore the studies are just not as prevelant.
Just like all other cancers there is likely to be more than one cause of the disease. so we are not saying Benezene is the only ecelerator but perhaps one of them.
Do a little research you will find several studies.
As a group we would be helping future generations by discovering if Benzene is in fact one of the factors to cause CML.
Thanks.
Michelle

#38 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

It has been baffling to me how when exposed to what is thought to be a carcinogen the people exposed, (who develop cancer), often develop various kinds of cancer.  Logic would say they would all get the same kind of cancer.  This deflates my hope of scientists ever finding the true origins of most cancers.  There are innumerous variables to sift through.  And it has become my belief that before we can cure any illness, we need to know from where it comes and how it starts.  Sigh.  I sure hope I am wrong.  

#39 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

Tedsey wrote:

It has been baffling to me how when exposed to what is thought to be a carcinogen the people exposed, (who develop cancer), often develop various kinds of cancer.  Logic would say they would all get the same kind of cancer.  This deflates my hope of scientists ever finding the true origins of most cancers.  There are innumerous variables to sift through.  And it has become my belief that before we can cure any illness, we need to know from where it comes and how it starts.  Sigh.  I sure hope I am wrong. 

Tedsey,

Had to post an answer to this.  Exposure to benzene is not believed to cause just any cancer, but rather certain types of cancers (mainly leukemias).  To me, that seems entirely reasonable.   Benzene, like other small molecules (including "good" ones like imatinib and other drugs), could easily have preferred binding sites in the body.  The link for benzene is strongest to various forms of leukemia, and it is known to cause anemia.  This indicates to me that benzene prefers to bind to sites in the bone marrow.

However, benzene is likely transported all over the body, so it's not unreasonable to expect there are other strong binding sites elsewhere in the body.  The bone marrow effects may be the strongest ones, but it could easily bind somewhere in other major organs, too.  Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds a link to, say, lung cancer or breast cancer.

Don't give up hope on those scientists just yet.  They are making advances every day. They tend to focus on curing cancer, because, well, it saves lives.  The focus is less on prevention (which implies you understand the origins), because the need to cure the sick is always greater.  But they are slowly chipping away at it.

Traci

#40 hwccritch

hwccritch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Your encouragement is refreshing.  We are in this together, we share this disease and there in lies our strength.  In our infinite wisdom we are often left pondering, but pondering keeps us askiing the questions.  Our faith and perserverence will prevail.  Nothing happens by chance, which means there are answers.  Just think, prior to imatinib the prognosis for cml was very grim.  We are fortunate indeed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users