• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akjones

akjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

I've stopped progressing, stuck at about 2 log reduction for past 4 months, about 16 months into treatment. Changing to 300 mg Tasigna twice a day next week.  I questioned my doctor why Tasigna rather than Spyrcel, reasoning didn't seem that strong. My thought is that it would be good to know based on genetic testing if one is better than the other. Anyone else been in this position of being stalled out? If so how was the selection of the second generation drug done?

Andy

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

You might want to review a previous posting I titled: "Sprycel vs. Tasigna".  Additionally, at 2 log reduction it would be unlikely that a kinase mutation test would show anything.  So there is no real testing that would help you select a drug.  Either drug is a reasonable choice for efffectiveness, but you could try to compare side effects of the new drugs.

http://community.lls...age/34465#34465

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hi, Andy. ..

My numbers had stalled out after about a year and a half on Gleevec.  My doc wanted me to move to Tasigna.  His reasoning was simply that he had a number of patients already on Tasigna, so he was familiar with it and had some experience with side effects.  However, after comparing the two drugs, and listening mostly to Trey's advice, I chose to try Sprycel.  The reasons that made the most sense to me were:

1)  The timing and food issues with Tasigna seemed inconvenient to my lifestyle

2)  Tasigna works similarly to Gleevec, while Sprycel is "more different."  If G wasn't effective, it just made sense to try something different from it.

Good luck with your decision.  Most of the folks on Tasigna seem pretty happy with it.  I'm very happy with the lack of side effects I'm having with Sprycel, but don't know yet how well it's working.  Getting very impatient for my PCR test in a couple of weeks!

Marnie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users