Photo

Ph+ with Chromsome 21 involvement -- PCR useless?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kaufmanp

kaufmanp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi Folks,

Background:  Age 34.  Diagnosed with CML in mid-March, 2011.  Started Gleevec 400mg in late-March, 2011.  Responding well to treatment thus far.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this:  My cytogenics reports show that I have the Philidelphia chromosome translocation and that in addition there is some involvement of chromosome 21.  My oncologist believes that this funky Ph+/Chromosome21 prevents the PCR test from being diagnostic for me -- it returned 0.000 -- which is certainly not true!  So, it looks like I'll just have to go by FISH tests and BMB cytogenics to deteremine my CML status.  I don't see that as a major issue but it sure would have been nice to shout to the world that I was PCRU at some point in the future.

I hadn't heard of this type of Philidelphia chromosome variant before and have not found anything in all the various message forums and papers I've read since being dx'ed with CML.  Has anyone else come across something like this?

Much appreciated!

#2 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

The PCR report will show % of gene of which is in translocation. I thought the PCR will showed % gene is abnormal compare with the normal cells %. Instead of t(9, 22), your translocated gene will be t(9,21).

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

It is probably a translocation written t(9,21,22) instead of the regular CML translocation t(9,22), so ask your Onc about that.  In unusual cases like yours, the Philadelphia Chromosome is a 3-way translocation, which occurs in about 5% of CML cases.  The TKI drugs should work against most of these translocations, although there are some where they are less effective.

Regarding whether the PCR will work, I would first try to reaccomplish the PCR to see if the PCR failed due to a lab error or spoiled sample.  If you have done a couple PCRs and both were negative, your Onc should try to switch to a lab where the PCR test uses a different control gene.  Most PCRs now use ABL as the control gene in the PCR test.  During the original translocation, pieces of chromosomes 9 and 22 normally both lose a piece, and each of those two pieces attach to the wrong chromosome (the piece of 22 goes to 9, and the piece of 9 goes to 22 where it creates the Philadelphia Chromosome).  But in your case, I assume that during the translocation, you had three chromosomes lose a piece (9, 21, and 22).  Your 22 picked up the piece of 9 and created the Philadelphia Chromosome causing the CML.  Then the 21 picked up the piece of 22, and then 9 picked up the piece of 21.  I am speculating a bit here, but apparently from what I could find, in your situation the 9 looks normal length during cytogenetic analysis since the piece of 21 it picked up was about the same length as the piece it lost, so the new 9 looks normal under the microscope even though it is not (cytogentics uses chromosome length as a primary indicator of normality).  Most of us have two abnormal chromosomes, but you would have three (9, 21, and 22).  Our chromosome 9 is a different length so it appears abnormal.

The reason for the above discussion is that a PCR which uses ABL (found on chromosome 9) as the control gene may be stymied by the way your chromosome 9 is linked to a piece of chromosome 21, which may somehow block the PCR's ability to use the ABL as the control gene.  I am guessing about this, since I do not have enough info.  So your Onc should try to use a lab which uses a different control gene such as GAPDH, b2m, or GUS.  FISH will not be fooled by the chromosome issues I outlined.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14562124

Although the following is an old article, it discusses how the chromosome 9 can look normal in cases like yours, while the chromosome 22 is a Philadelphia Chromosome, although it is t(9,21,22) instead of t(9,22):

http://www.haematolo...nt/79/6/536.pdf

#4 kaufmanp

kaufmanp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

I still have t(9:22) but in some way the 21 is involved as well.  I'm not sure how that would be written in technical terms.  My onc described it as I have the DNA pattern for the t(9:22) but attached to it is an additional DNA pattern that relates to the 21.  I guess this throws the PCR testing off in some way.

#5 kaufmanp

kaufmanp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

Wow!  Thank you, Trey.  That's great information and explained very well.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Paul,

From what you have described, I think you actually have the t(9,21,22) as I outlined.  Ask your Onc for a copy of the BMB report (and whatever else discusses the issue).  If that is not the case, please update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users