• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mck_001

mck_001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Since I'm a first line treatment - Sprycel patient (excluding a couple of weeks on Gleevec before we decided we wanted to start off with Sprycel), I am curious if Sprycel fails for me, will Gleevec or Tasigna work?  The data is more supportive of patients who fail Gleevec and then switch to Tasigna and Sprycel and achieve a better response, but since Sprycel is just newly approved as a first line treatment, is there any data or info re: relapses while on Sprycel?  What I've read is Sprycel is the most potent of the TKIs...is that true?  

I achieved CCyR in November 2010, but lost that response and am FISH 5% as of March 2011.  Not too worried yet, but feeling a little less secure than I felt before this last FISH.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Each drug has its own benefits and downsides, so there is not one simple answer to the question.  If there are kinase mutations involved (sometimes they can take a while to show up, but usually within the first year or so) then Tasigna and Sprycel each have strengths and weaknesses against certain mutations.  So if your test results continue to trend upward, have a Kinase Mutation Test done.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

MK,

Wondering if this last test result could be because the dosage of Sprycel you are on is not high enough for you. Were you on 100mg when you achieved CCyR? I read that you are only on 70mg now.

Something to explore with your doc anyway.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 mck_001

mck_001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, that is my first assumption as to why I'm at FISH 5% now.  My ANC is pretty low on 70mg, so Dr Cortes wants to wait until we see what my next biopsy shows in June before we increase my dose again.  I'm sure the first step will be to increase to the full dose...I just hope my body doesn't go into shock like it did at the end of last year.  That was no bueno. I'm not a fan of waiting!  Ha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users