• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Been on Tasigna for 9 months now and doing very well medically.  However, lately, I become easily irritated.  The littlest things can set me off to where I get angry.  Is this a side-effect of the meds or am I just stressed about it?  My family has noticed it too.  Luckily my wife said she still loves me.  LOL!!!!

Thanks,

PaulB

#2 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Not sure if it is a side effect or not but I know that depression and stress can lead to increased irritability.  I know the irritability is my first clue that I am having an issue with depression (I have suffered through it for many years) and may need a med adjustment.   Did you take a different TKI before Tasigna?  I ask because if you are 9 months into this journey it could be several things coming together to cause the irritability.  You are trying to adjust to the new normal, probably have less energy and thus get frustrated you can't do everything like before.  I know after my initial shock wore off around month 6 or 7, I was frustrated from the fatigue and trying to adjust to side effects.  I started to feel impatient that even though my bloodwork was looking good I felt crappy.  I started to get angry that I was dealt this crappy hand.  Throw in there the stress of working full time and taking care of a family and it is no wonder there is irritability.  I would definitly let your doctor know that you are experiencing more irritability than usual and he/she can help sort out where it is coming from.  Good luck and hang in there.

Heather

dx 3/2010 G400 since

#3 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like PMS to me. . .'course I am not ever afflicted with that (just ask my husband)!!

O.k.  that was a joke.

I'm guessing it's the stress. . .although awhile back there was a guy who ended up with very severe mood swings.  Never heard what came of that, and I hope he's doing o.k.

Stress is a very bad thing and can affect you in lots of ways.  I thought I had my stress-related TMJ worked out, and it's starting up again.  I need a vacation.. . .from work, and from cml.

Marnie

#4 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for your responses.  I have only been on Tasigna since diagnosis in June of 2010.  Never taken any other TKI.  I do think I am frustrated at times with some of the side effects and it may be wearing on me some.  I agree that I need to mention it at my next doctor's appointment.

Thanks,

Paul

#5 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

I hope it's not PMS, lol.  Wouldn't know how to handle that.

I was thinking stress to.  Thanks for sharing with me, it is very helpful to hear from others dealing with the same thing so you don't feel like your on an island.

Thanks,

Paul

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Dear Paul,

I've had cml going on 4 years and I still get so frustrated I could scream. Just knowing that we have to live with this disease for the rest of our lives and put up with the tki's

is a real bummer, I go through stages like that because we can feel like crap and look so healthy our familys try to understand and I know it is so hard on them too. I wouldn't want my family to understand to much that would mean they have it too.For me that would be harder to deal with than having it myself. I am on an anti-depressant and xanax

it really helps talk to your doc. I am so grateful there is a treatment  that keeps cml under control. I don't think it's pms but you never know with all these crazy side effects. You might need a med to calm you down,so you can calm yourself down. That's how it was explained to me. And it does help a lot all of us hate taking pills sometimes we need a little extra help. You can always get on this site and vent we all understand so let it out.

Billie

You should consider all this before your wife kills you!

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:43 AM

Dear Paul,

I have had similar experiences to HeatherZ.  And just recently, I have been irritable.  I have been seeing a cognitive behavioral psychologist for about 18 months.  She said that irritability if often another manifestation of depression (and I wouldn't cross off anxiety).  The talking cure and drug therapy has worked well for me.  I would mention this to your doctor, but as a "survivor" of severe anxiety and depression and now dealing with a relapse of it with the CML dx, I would recommend talking to a psychologist first.  And if you decide meds may help you too, I would see a psychiatrist.  In my experience, I found that doctors other than mental health professionals know very little about psychotropic drugs.

Good luck.  I hope you get over this soon.

Teds  

#8 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

Totally agree with Teds - just make sure your Onc knows you are going to consult a mental health professional that way everyone is on the same page from the beginning.  The talking witha therapist combined with meds definitly is the way to go because it will give you stratagies to recognize when you are starting to get depressed/anxious.  As a "survivor" of bi-polar with severe depression I can now say I am more aware of my mood and emotional health than most people.  I am able to identify when I am heading for a major episode and take steps to head it off.  Good luck and hang in there.

Heather

#9 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

I'm going to go a little against the grain of the other suggestions, not because I think they are wrong, but just because I think you should proceed carefully.  Having been on anti-depressants over the years, I have experience with them.  My suggestion would be to not rush into taking more meds than you need.  If you are in fact experiencing real and sustained depression, then I think it makes sense to seek out competent help.  I strongly agree with the point that you should see a mental health professional and not just let your GP or some other physician prescribe an anti-depressant.  I think it is criminal that anyone other than a psychiatrist has the authority to prescribe anti-depressants or any other mental health drugs.  Regular physicians are not adequately trained to monitor treatment for mental health issues.  So yes, if this is interfering with your life and you are having a tough time then go and seek out a good psychologist who can work with you and if you need meds can set you up with a psychiatrist.  There is no reason for you to suffer if there is treatment that can help you.

On the other hand, your emotional state is quite appropriate for your situation and this could be a phase you are going through.  The thing to watch for is if you are able to come out of the phase and if you keep falling back into it.  If you are going through an adjustment period, as many of us have and will continue to, then you may just need some time to work it out.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to someone about it, but personally I would hold back on the meds unless you are unable to resolve it through more traditional methods first.  You already have some serious stuff in your body that causes different side effects, adding meds opens the door to more stuff and it takes a while to get it right, which is why it is important to have the right medical professional working with you.

In the mean time, how is your energy level?  Being tired will make you irritable.  Are you getting enough sleep?  How is your diet?  Are you able to do any physical activity?  Although it seems contradictory, the more physical activity you get, the more energy you will likely have.  Are you able to do any exercise, maybe just 30 minutes a day where you manage to get your heart rate up?  Over a few weeks you may notice a difference.  Not to get all "new agey" but, have you ever tried yoga or other type of meditation/relaxation techniques?  Yoga allows you to go at your own pace without over exerting yourself and most people feel pretty good after a session.  You may want to give it try, go to a local class or if you have a DVR do a search for yoga and tape one of the shows on TV and give it a try, you can also pick up some DVD's, most of this is fairly inexpensive.  I can't stress enough how important diet is.  If you are eating crap food, you are going to feel like crap.  Avoid fried foods, processed foods, and things that are high in fat and other chemicals.  Try to eat as healthy as you can (I'm not talking about dieting, just making healthy choices).  Avoid sugar and high fructose corn syrup.  If you drink soda, try to limit it as much as possible.  Try to get enough sleep each night.  The fatigue side effect is a little different than being tired.  You need enough sleep to properly rest your body.  You may still feel fatigue from treatment, but the difference is that with fatigue you should be able to push through it sometimes when you need to.  Exhaustion is exhaustion and no matter how hard you push it will be hard to get passed it.  So try to figure out the difference and determine if you are geting enough sleep.

All in all, these are the things I try to do.  It is not perfect, I am certainly not perfect in anyway, but I find all of these things help a little.  It's okay to be irritable, hell you've got an excuse now!  But of course you don't want to be for yourself and I'm sure even more for the people around you who you love.  So try to do some things to help yourself feel better.  And yes, if after trying a few things you are not getting anywhere, or it seems like it is getting worse and more frequent, then by all means seek out the professional and if needed go ahead and take the meds.  There is nothing wrong with doing what you have to do to get by.

Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#10 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

I am so grateful for these boards.  I can relate and then some to everything that you have said, and the others that followed.  Where else can we find people who can understand and who struggle with some of the same things we do.  Sometimes I feel guilty blaming the CML and TKI's for the depression, irritation and despair, aches and pains and in the past have heard criticism for those who do.  But everyone reacts differently not only to these drugs but to life.  I am 6 yrs into diagnosis and 1 yr with Tasigna, having gone thro Glevec and Sprycel and I don't know what the _____ is happening to me.  All I know is I am falling apart emotionally.  Maybe it's circumstances, maybe it's my natural inclination toward depression/anxiety, maybe the Tasigna is the antagonist that tips the scales into "cant deal with this anyone more". I do know this is different from anything else I have experienced in my many years in the "mood" department. I have been fighting this particular low point  for 3 months with nutrition, exercise and spiritual feeding and have continued slipping down the black hole.  Even had thots of stopping the TKI's and see what happens.  I can't get apt with psychiatrist for 3 weeks (been waiting 6 wks) but I see onc 2 days from now and may ask her for something to get me thro next 3 weeks

thank you all who shared here, may we find strength together, knowing we are not just weird or overreacting.

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hi Paul:  There are so many reasons and suggestions that we can all give with regard to being irritable or just plain depressed.  I think its all part of it, and how we handle it.  Everyone is different in how they cope or what meds they take.   I agree with Lucky on seeing the right doctor to be treated for Depression.

I went through the medications and psychology appointments, and in my case it was just making me go broke.  I finally just quit the visits and the medications, and its not even the CML that gets to me now, its just everything around me in this crazy world.  Our finances cannot get any lower than they are right now with cutbacks and the price of everything.  I am struggling just to make ends meet.  My faith is what gets me through each day.  You have to find what works for you, and find out what the cause is for the way you feel.  Just know that you have all of us who are feeling a lot of what your feeling at different times and in different ways, but we are always here for one another.  We have a great group with lots of support.  I pray for everyone everyday to get through it all.

Susan 61

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Dear Paul,

I totally agree with Lucky. In my case I suffer from Clinical Depression and Panic disorder. It's hereditary my mom grandmother sister and a lot of my family on my moms side have it. I was dx in 1979. I went into a severe depression and horrible panic attacks. I had no idea what was happening to me. My pcp tried to help me I took mild valium. I tried so hard to fight this thing after 6 mos my doc sent me to a psychiatrist who also sent me to a psycologist. I was put on the right med and had a wonderful psycologist It took a lot of work on my part also. I couldn't leave the house or be left alone I carried smelling salts with me from room to room. I truly thought I would end up in a mental health ward and a lot of other things but I was lucky I had the right help.That is a disease just like cml. And I have to live with it the rest of my life. Several times I stopped taking my antidepressant because I felt pretty good and I hate taking pills. Six weeks later I was a mess again. My Doctor told me it was like diabetes I have to take my medicine every day. Don't fight it. I get so mad when any pcp will prescribe all kinds of prescriptions just because someone says they are nervous and depressed. Like Lucky said they are not trained for that. Everybody goes through bad times but you have to distinguish the difference between just having a rough time for a couple mos or if you have a real problem. I had to go through stages before I got help first there is an assesment nurse you talk to who determines whether you need treatment or not.She wanted to admit me to the hospital I wouldn't go I went along with every thing they told me and took the meds and got counciling and I fought off all the fears.Now I have 2 diseases I have to fight.

If you feel you need some help go to a professional who can truly help you rather than just give you some pills.

Didn't mean for this to be a novel or to sound like a know it all I just wanted to pass my experience along to you and others if you have a good pcp they will send you in the right direction. Or you could call the mental health society and they will make arrangments for you.

Good Luck to you                   Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users