Photo

Anyone who is using aldactone or has used it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 janekaye

janekaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there has used aldactone to "assist" the action of lasix.  Dr. Cortes has reduced my dose of Sprycel from 100mg to 50mg and some edema is now returning.  My local onc (who recently completed a fellowship with Dr. Cortes) wants me to add aldactone 25mg a day to the 80mg of lasix that I now take.  Because I also take metoprolol (sp?) for hypertension, I've been having second thoughts.  Of course, I'll check with my onc before I pick up RX and start taking.  In the meantime, I just wondered if anyone on the boards had any experience with the drug.

Thanks and my best to all-----------

- janekaye

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi janekaye

It is interesting that reduction of Sprycel has increased your edma.

I haven't used either lasix or aldactone, but can I offer a suggestion to try before doing that - I find having a banana everyday assists with the edma. I'm on Gleevec and it must do something to reduce the potassium levels in your body - not sure if the other TKIs do the same thing. But the banana provides enough potassium that my edma is reduced to a level I can usually put up with. I take the occassional fluid tablet (Modueretic) if I know I am going out somewhere special the following day and want to look and feel my best. But when I missed the banana one day, I felt a bit like a water balloon whilst I was doing my yoga class. The other thing I noticed was the fluid increased my blood pressure, which didn't make me feel great either. I have my banana with my meal when I take my Gleevec.

Take care

Gerry

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

janekaye,

Just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you are still dealing with edema! I have no experience to share with aldactone, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.

pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users