• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TomL

TomL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I just want to alert some of my fellow CML survivors to a possible issue we should all be on the lookout for. Some may remember I said some months back that the CML/Gleevec was masking what I and my doctors thought was pneumonia. Well, after months of tests, ineffective drugs, and finally an open lung biopsy, the diagnosis is confirmed -- Pulmonary Fibrosis. What my oncologists and other docs were yawning about when I complained of coughing and shortness of breath -- all thinking like me that it was side effects of Gleevec treatment, turned out to be much worse.

AND I have been in communication with other CML patients who are not all the way to final diagnosis, but think they may have the same. I have an appointment with onc next week, I am going to discuss whether he will get on board with me to the Heart and Lung Transplant Org, my CML could keep me off the list for a lung transplant. I know some of you are getting tired of me continuing to bring up Vietnam Vets, but one with CML has all the symptoms I have for PF.

Several morals to this story, but the main one is to continue to be your own best advocate. Do not allow the oncs and docs to poo-poo your other symptoms. Press for complete diagnoses ALL the time!

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hi Tom:  I wish you well with something to be done to help you. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was your statement about being your own best Advocate for your health.  I have been saying that to everyone for years.  I have had to fight at times to get the proper care for myself.  I always say The Squeaky Wheel Will Get The Oil!!   Even when Gleevec first came out in trial , my Oncologist did not help me to get in.  I had to call and call, until they finally knew exactly who I was.  They gave me my appointment just to get rid of me from calling, but once I got my foot in the door to see the Oncologist in Charge the rest was history.  That was back in 2000.

I just got a call this weekend about someone who needs a lung transplant that I know.  Her pulmonary fibrosis was from being exposed to exotic birds that she used to raise.  Please keep us updated, and I will keep you in my prayers.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

TomL,

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent dx. I hope with the advent of our TKIs you can make the case for a lung transplant if needed. Please stay on this board and let us know how you are doing.

Warm healing thoughts,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

TomL

In my darkest days when adjusting to Sprycel this poem gave me strength -

Wounded, But Not Slain

"I'm wounded now, but I'm not slain,
I'm bruised and faint they say,
Just let me lie and bleed a while,
I'll not be long this way.
My spirit's low and my eyes flow,
My heart is sad and sore,
But when my pen'ent tears are gone,
I'll stand and fight some more.
I'll bind these wounds, I'll dry these tears,
I'll close this bleeding vein,
I'll not lie here and weep and die,
I'll rise and fight again.
'Twas yesterday I bowed so low,
Was weak from tears and pain,
Today I'm strong, my fears are gone,
Today I fight again."

-- Author Unknown

This was first posted by Jerry Mayfield on the newcmldrug webpage.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users