• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dee145

dee145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

Is it just me or does anybody else have a problem with being bloated?  I look like I am pregnant sometimes and no I am not constipated.  Is this a side effect of the Gleevec or is it just me getting old?  I will be 53 in April.  Went trying on bathing suits and I looked pregnant so I just left, got disgusted with it.

March 6 was my 2yr anniversary but i don't count the 1st year with that idiot, i lost a year of my life with him.  Heather Z knows who I am talking about, she started with him too but was smarter than me and booted him to the curb right away!!

Dee

#2 Tom_md

Tom_md

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi Dee,

Thats a frequent issue for me.  My onc gave me a break, has said if it gets really serious, may want to try a diuretic.  I have had my dose reduced to 300 mgs and have had a good bit of relief from Side Effects.  You may want to talk to your doc about a diuretic,  I think the bloatedness is primarily from excess fluid retention.

It'll be interesting to see what the PCRs are in the next couple of months.  I have had PCRs below measureable level for almost a year.  Hopefully they will stay that way at the lower dose.

Tom

#3 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

I am really starting to mind the fluid retention and bloating.  It used to just be bad around my eyes in the mornings but now I am noticing more and more bloating in my abdomen as well.  I do believe it is a side effect of Gleevec.

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hi Tom,

So reducing your Gleevec to 300mg helped with the fluid retention? I'm hoping to get to PCRU sooner or later, hang on the 400mg for a couple of years and then look to reduce it to 300mg and try to maintain PCRU. Be nice to know that it would reduce the side effects as well.

Gerry

#5 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

I wonder too....?  I have had puffy eyes constantly and swollen ankles most of the time since starting gleevec and lately (past month or so) have noticed bloating in my middle. I chalked it up to poor posture, I have had a couple of back fractures, and age. I'm 63. Like you I think I look pregnant and have to try to remember to 'suck in my gut". Sweaters and sweatshirts hide a lot. Worried about T shirt season though :-)

MJL

#6 Tom_md

Tom_md

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Actually fluid retention and all of my other side effects have been reduced with the exception of joint pain.  It makes me think that the Joint pain may be something else unrelated.  All in all thought the Gleevec is much more tolerable for me now.

#7 sferrazza

sferrazza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

I stopped taking Gleevec 4 weeks ago and started tasigna.  I lost 7 lbs after stopping, I think all water weight and bloating.  I was always bloated and "thick" during Gleevec, i took the water pill but didn't help.  I think the constant gas and diarreah also caused the bloating and yuck feeling.  Tasigna doesn't have the bloating but I get sever headaches from it. At this point I'm not sure what the next step it as far as treatment goes.  I go back to onc on Monday figure out what pill I will be taking.

Good luck

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I usually have a banana a day to help with the GI issues, missed having it yesterday due to them being too green. Didn't have any GI issues, but boy did I have some fluid retention. I looked it up and potassium helps with fluid retention and bananas have potassium. Won't get rid of all your fluid but it seems to help a fair bit. After trying a few different things, In the end I think prescribed medication is the only thing that will fully work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users