• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

According to the US News and World Report from yesterday:  The death rate of patients with chronic myeloid leukemia who took Gleevec and were in remission two years after treatment was similar to the death rate in the general population, a new study shows.

The study actually studied over 800 cml patients.  Enough for my little statistical loving heart to believe.

Happy making news for sure!

Caroline

You can read more here:

http://health.usnews...rmal-death-rate

#2 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

oops, missed the last bit, there needs to be another study to compare those that have been treated with interferon and those that were not.  But still, looking good!

#3 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

The article really does the words: "in remission,"  whereas the term most commonly used is "response."  So what does "in remission" mean?  Major Molecular Response?  PRCU? What? 

I guess its good news, but without a further clarificaiton of what is meant by "remission" I question the study.

#4 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

I do not think the study is valid, due to the sample of < 1000 is too small compared to the whole normal population, which implies the variance of the the CML sample population will be too big and has bigger error. No variance test specified, the p value is not even mentioned.

It does not make sense just giving wrong point of view...The average age of CML is about 60 years old how to compare with the normal average age population ? It is does not make sense, the death rate of normal population could not be that high....does not make sense at all,,..

#5 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Oh well, it looked promising.  Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. 

Poop.

C-

#6 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

800 odd is a pretty reasonable sample size for this kind of thing.  The size of the general population is irrelevant.  The study compared death rates for those in the sample (CML patients with CCyR at 2 years) with those for people of the same age and gender in the general population.  Statistically the study is fine.

Where the study falls down is in how long it follows people - a maximum of 8 years and a median of only 5 and a bit.  Only when we have much longer term data would we be able to make a meaningful comparison of death rates.

As far as it goes though, the study confirms the good things we've all been led to believe.  The most significant thing is that it isn't showing any measurable impact (yet) on rates of dieing from other things like heart disease, other cancers etc which may or may not be influenced by long term TKI use and wouldn't necessarily show up on the clinical trials as they wouldn't be classed as CML related.

Phil

#7 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Looks like we might be "normal"

My husband would probably disagree

#8 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I remember reading somewhere that if you get CML in your 60s, if the TKIs work, the CML alone is not believed to shorten your life.  If 30 yrs are "guaranteed", maybe I will make it to 70!  That would be about 8 years and 2 months shy of the average life-span in the U.S.  Sorry, I am having very bad day.  Had to drag the toddlers with me to an oral pathologist (who actually sees patients along with slides).  Then rewarded the kids afterward, for not running around, playing with sharp instruments, and hanging from the lights, with donuts.  At the shop, we sat next to a 2 yr old going though chemotherapy (she was only a few weeks older than my 2 yr old).  I sat with her mother while my kids played with the little girl (who also wore leg braces and a brace on her chest and two hearing aides and a pic line).  I sat there, pain in my stomach, agony in my mouth and in my heart.  But I noticed how energetic, robust, and playful the little girl was.  And I prayed she would get well and held my kids, who were both fighting for my lap, a little tighter.  Despite the CML, severe anemia, holes in my tongue and bleeding though my clothes, at that moment, I had some very good luck at hand.  And, I so know how miserable it is to be sick.  My little secret.  The mother felt she had to explain to me (in limited English).  I sort of cut her off because she owed me no explanation (I didn't mean to, but I thought how exhausting it must be for her to explain all the time).  I told her that I wished her child good health.  She thanked me, and we watched the kids interact and chatted about lighter things.  What she and I must endure is different, but I felt I knew her pain and how deeply rooted it is for her only child.  I silently mourned for both of us.  And I wished us good luck.  There is a chance we all can heal, right?

Got run over more than once today by the depression train.  Uggggggh.  Sorry.  I really needed to get this load off.  I have been crying on the shy (but exploded in front of my son, which caused him to wail).  My daughter made me lay down and put my head on a pillow and tucked me in with her stuffed duck.  It pulls me back and gives me perspective, but it is still a hard row to hoe.  I think many of you can relate, at least, to the hoeing part.

Wishing you all well, and, at least, an average life span.  Sorry to hijack this post.

Teds

#9 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

hi...I loved the stuffed duck part.......I am so sorry for you-----you have good reason to be so sad.....life with 2 toddlers is tough when you have good health!  Taking kids to the doc with you requires way too much energy!  Then to see the little girl who is so sick.....i am crying for you.  and her poor mom......is there anyone who can help you?  All moms need help-----especially moms fighting this CML.  The fatigue and all the other side effects you have had to suffer-----just to get up every day and to take care of yourself when you feel so bad is a big job---then add two little ones...wow.....if you live near me, I will help you!  I hope tomorrow will be an easier day for you.  ~lala 

#10 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Here is the study from the NCI

http://jnci.oxfordjo...nci.djr127.full

#11 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

Another article from NCI:

Imatinib for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: The Impact of Its Effectiveness and Long-term Side Effects

023[1].gif

NEWS  ON CML

#12 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Oh Teds - I so feel for the journey you are on and how tough it is for you, and I am so sorry you are facing so many challenges.  I think about you often, as I know many others around these parts do.  I know it doesn't feel like it now, and of course I don't have anything to base this on other than faith (and for me that is saying a lot) but I trully believe you will get through this.  I know it is slower for you than most others and you are dealing with a ton of crap, but I believe that things will gradually improve.  The years will roll on, you will watch your children grow to wonderful, compassionate individuals, and you will live through this, and it will not be as hard as it is now.

Hang in there and keep fighting, everyday, keep fighting!

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#13 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Luck for you kinds words again.  Another slump for me.  I have bounced back emotionally (well, mostly).  I didn't even call my therapist!  Don't feel much like I am fighting as I am just waiting around to see what will happen to me.  Although this is jumping the gun, I cannot help but wonder what it will be like being treated for cervical/uterine cancer and CML or how they will get my PLT to rise for a hysterectomy (gotta scary call 3 days ago, but all is inconclusive).  And if I survive both, what a miracle that will be.  Just lately, I have been feeling like there may be a time when enough is enough.  Definitely not now.  But I have empathy for people who are so miserable with CML that they want to call off the meds.  I don't think I could ever do that.  But fighting gets exhausting.  I have only been in a little over a year and I am getting pooped.  Take care!

Teds

P.S.  From your mouth into God's ears, (an old family favorite of expressions), about my kids growing up to be compassionate!  Thanks.  I think I am spoiling them too much out of guilt.  I wish all the best to you, your wife, and your little ones. 

#14 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Teds,

S-o-o-o-o glad you went to the gyn. It is very likely nothing serious but it could account for your heavy bleeding and hopefully something can be done to lessen it. I know our thoughts tend to go to the scary places regardless of what our BIFs say, so I just want you to know that I am virtually holding your hand and sending you all of the positive thoughts I can generate!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#15 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi Tedsey, been thinking about you. Please don't think the worst about your call from your gyno!!! As I told you earlier in a reply, I too had the same thing happen,for 6 long months, all the worry was for nothing!!! I know it is easy for me to say this to you, but I have been there, wait until you have a report and don't let the devil take over your thoughts!! In my case, having a hysterectomy was a good thing, I felt so much healthier afterwards. I have been encouraged by your words { everyones words on this site } about this CML so please---keep a positive outlook with your situation, I and everyone here are sending our thoughts and prayers your way!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us up to date, we are also expecting good results for you. Prayers to all, grannyd

#16 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

"Although this is jumping the gun, I cannot help but wonder what it will  be like being treated for cervical/uterine cancer and CML or how they  will get my PLT to rise for a hysterectomy (gotta scary call 3 days ago,  but all is inconclusive).  And if I survive both, what a miracle that  will be."

That is more than jumping the gun Teds, you have mapped out and played out an entire scenario in your head that may never happen.  I know how hard it is, but conitnue to ask yourself, what good can come from thinking out these scenarios?  Until you have something conclusive, try to control the fantasy thinking, it doesn't do you any good to think this way.  I know easier said than done.

I have something going on that is working on my nerves too.  I have preliminary numbers from my last test and they are looking great, so the Gleevec is working, right.  All of a sudden over the last few days I have developed some kind of heart issue.  I don't know exactly what it is.  At first I thought it was palpitations, but my heart rate is low and steady.  Then I thought it was an arrhythmia, but again the heart rate is steady.  My blood pressure is good and I don't have an issue when I exercise and get my heart rate up.  It happens when I am sitting quietly, I start to feel my heart beating harder and like I have butterflys in my chest, almost like the heart is spasming.  I am trying to keep calm and not get too upset by this.  I would think it would be strange if after 9 months on Gleevec I developed a heart problem.  I would think it would have happened sooner, but then again maybe not, maybe this is exactly the way it would play out.

I recently started using Nasonex because I have been getting dizzy (another new side effect?) and the ENT is trying to figure out what is going on, apparently I have unequal pressure in my ears.  Is the Gleevec hurting my ear?  Who knows?  I am hoping it is the Nasonex that is causing the heart issue.  I used to take Nasonex with no problem for allergies, but maybe it doesn't play nice with Gleevec for me.  Anyway this whole thing has my head running in different directions.  In a matter of minutes I played out the scenario that while Gleevec was working, it was causing damage to my heart and they were going to have to take me off it.  Given that it was heart related, they would not want to go to Tasigna, so that knocked out two drugs in one shot.  I would go on Sprycel and hope for the best, maybe I could get Bosutinib on compassionate use grounds if I couldn't tolerate Sprycel, but then maybe my insurance wouldn't pay for it, and then I would be looking at a transplant and I am worried because my only brother who is a match is having health issues and what if he can't donate.......and on and on and on.

And then I stopped myself.  And I thought, "this is crazy".  Nothing has happened yet and there are so many variables, that could play out over a long time.  There is nothing to be gained from playing out these scenarios in my head.  I will just have to wait and see what happens and deal with it when it comes.  For now, I am walking and breathing.  I have a call into Dr office, waiting for them to call back.  I'm sure they are going to want me to come in for cardiac test, at least EKG and probably a chest x-ray to match up against baseline from dx.  We'll see how it goes.  It's hard to not worry about it and not let the fact I don't feel healthy get in my head.  But I am going to try my best, because the last thing I need on top of all this is to feel more scared and depressed.  It's so crazy, all I want is to have my fatigue and leg pains back with occasional stomach issues, so I can just go about my CML life.

I hope things with your tests turn out well and you can get back to dealing with the regular crap you were dealing with

#17 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

This sensation has happened to me, and strangely enough, it was only Acid Reflux. Frank

#18 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Frank, it would be great if that's what it turned out to be.  I don't have any traditional symptoms of reflux like burning, but I have felt the need to belch a lot lately, which is kind of new.

I spoke with Onc this morning and she said go see cardiologist.  I made some calls and they are seeing me today!  I guess there is one perk with CML, I find Dr's offices are a lot nicer to me when I lead in with "I have leukemia and I'm not feeling well, do you have anything available today?"  Always followed by a "hold on" and then a few minutes later they get on and say "we can see you today".  So if nothing else I'll have an ECG today and see where I go from there.

There really should be a one major illness per household rule.

#19 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

i like reading your posts and i like the household rule.....hang in there and let us know how your doc appt goes today...way to use the leukemia card to get in quickly!!!!  :-)

#20 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

So far so good.  Cardiologist didn't see anything to be concerned with, ECG was clear.  She wants to be prudent and scheduled Echo, Stress Echo, and 24 hour Halter monitor.  I'll get those done in a week or two.  She thinks when all is said and done it may be a stress reaction.  As she pointed out "your 38 years old, married with two little kids, work full time, go to school, and by the way, you have leukemia".  Hopefully it's nothing more than a reaction to pushing too hard.  Will have to figure out how to balance this all out.  I finish school in about 2 years and then if I can just get my kids grown up, through college and taking care of themselves, I should be able to relax a little!