12 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

I have read people cautioning against drinking green tea on this board.  I was wondering why it is thought to be harmful for us CMLers.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

I have read the arguments against green tea (and oolong tea), and I do not agree with their conclusions.  Essentially, the argument is that we should not take any strong antioxidants since they remove free radicals.  The argument says that free radicals (always thought to be bad actors) can somehow control leukemia, despite the rest of the world saying just the opposite.  So if you believe the green tea argument, then you must also stop taking any vitamin C and stop eating citrus and...........

#3 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

I refuse to give up my green tea with lemon - on about 5 cups a day. Since being on Glivec coffee has caused GI issues - so that is now only consummed as an after dinner treat on Sat and Sun in the form of an espresso - excellently made by hubby.

Marian

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

Hi Marian,

I'm on about 4 cups of green tea a day - had to give the coffee away as well, interesting that you can drink an espresso without any issues.

Gerry

#5 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

I've no idea why espresso is ok. I think it is more to do with frequency - I can drink the ocassional cup of black coffee made with instant and me OK but any more than one cup a day - oh no. Bacon is the only other food item I have found causes GI issues unless it is dry cured then in small amounts it's OK.

Anyone else with weird food reactions since starting on TKIs?

Marian

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Trey wrote, "Essentially, the argument is that we should not take any strong antioxidants since they remove free radicals.  The argument says that free radicals (always thought to be bad actors) can somehow control leukemia, despite the rest of the world saying just the opposite."

Trey - your statement above is not correct.  The argument against green tea is that it removes the TKI and interferes with its action.  Otherwise Green Tea is excellent to drink:  http://discoverysedg...n_tea/index.cfm

For those who are on TKI breaks - drink up.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Michael,

Your reference does not support your assertion, has nothing to do with CML, does not discuss TKI drugs, and says that green tea is great for fighting leukemia (although it only discusses CLL).  I stand by my statements.  Additionally, your assertion is incorrect that green tea "removes the TKI and interferes with its action".  If it did either of those, it would be on the list of foods to avoid (which it is not).  Here is where my info came, and is what Tedsey' referred to in her original question:

http://community.lls.org/message/55908

(See especially my last posting on the thread)

#8 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

I found this article about green tea:

http://www.cmlsource...his-help-my-cml

There is also articles about Vitamin C:

Vitamin C and Cancer
Vitamin C supplements may undercut the effectiveness of cancer drugs including Novartis' Gleevec, a U.S. study published on Wednesday showed.
When used on human cancer cells treated with a form of vitamin C in lab dishes, chemotherapy drugs killed 30 percent to 70 percent fewer tumor cells than usual, the scientists wrote in the journal Cancer Research.
October 2008, Natural Health News

Vitamin C may blunt effect of chemotherapy: study
October 2008, Asiaone Health

Straight Talk on Vitamin C During Chemotherapy Treatment
January 2010, Pharmacist

HOME :: Cancer Straight Talk on Vitamin C During Chemotherapy Treatment
November 2008, Ezines Aricles

VITAMIN C - Good or Bad combined with Chemotherapy?
October 2008, Squidoo

Can Vitamin C Really Treat Cancer?
January 2009, Articlesbase

#9 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I found the following article concerning the interaction of a TKI and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG):

http://www.springerl...r7444282g78746/

However, the authors mix the EGCG with the TKI before administration to the mice.

Maybe, just for being cautious, gleevec shouldn't be taken with green tea.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't drink it during other times of the day...

#10 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

If there are other studies about how vitamin C interferes with TKIs, I would like to read them.  As for vitamin C interfering with chemotherapy, I am not sure the other articles mentioned will be helpful.  Most CMLers are not receiving chemotherapy.  Most of us take a TKI.  It is considered a targeted drug therapy.  There is a difference.

I was asking about green tea because I read that sucking on teabags (green & black) could help heal mouth sores (because of the tannins).  I am getting the same huge mouth sores that chemotherapy patients get on their tongues.  Ouuuuch.  Although the sores are only stage 1, I cannot eat out in public or talk well.  At this point, I am willing to try anything.  The sores really make me feel like a true cancer patient (along with my bloody eye).  But I try to keep it in perspective.  I am alive.  Perhaps I will drop a few pounds.

#11 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

I have used Tums antiacid tablets directly on mouth sores with much success.  I would think a base would help more than an acid.

#12 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Ick Tums, but I'll try it.  Thanks!

#13 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Iam on 400mg gleevec everyday, I have been pcru for about 4 years now and drink about 4-5 cups of green tea a day.  I have always been a tea drinker and never read about problems with it until today.  I have never seen it mentioned on the drug interaction lists that ive looked at, and was drinking it from day one of my diagnosis and have had a great response to gleevec.  I think ill ask my onc or doctor druker about this...........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users