• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Last year when I went on vacation I develped a  case of sun poisoning in a matter of days, something that had never happened before. I had been taking Gleevec for almost a year. Well, its that time agin, I am ready to go on vacation  and do not want or need another episode like last years. I am wondering has any one had any luck with sunscreens allowing them to spend a little time in the sun without the dreaded itchy rash? My Dermatologist gave me some SPF 60 sunscreen for sensitive skin. I am not looking to sunbathe with abandon, but it would be nice to sit in the sun, feel warm, and relax without worrying.

MJL.

#2 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Before my CML & taking TKI meds (I'm now on Tasigna), I never had a sun problem. Now however, I'm very photosensitive. My dermo. suggested a sun blocker & not sun screens. My favorite is Blue Lizard. It's SPF 30, so I do get some tanning but not burned. The draw backs are that it is white when first applied & a bit greasy. I played golf the last 2 days so was out in the sun for about a total of 8 hours. Not burned but did get a bit of color. Of course I also wear a wide brimmed hat, sunglasses and neck gaiter. But it's worth it to be out there!

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#3 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hi MJL,

I live in Australia - where we get a fair amount of sun. I'm not sure what the dreaded itchy rash is from? But I would suggest to make sure you stay out of the sun between 10.00 to 3.00 where you can, on your holiday and have long sleeves and a sun hat on and drink plenty of water. Can't comment on the sunscreens as we possibly have different products and our protection ratings are different as well.

Gerry

#4 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

I used to be a sun goddess but that has ended. I buy the highest SPF I can find, bought a cute hat (my scalp now burns too) and I limit my time in the sun. My father lived in Puerto Rico and when I would go there I would get serious sun burns. He has passed so I'm avoiding the caribbean and any other place with such intense sun.

Enjoy the sun but be prepared and most of all enjoy your vacation!

SunNsand

#5 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Me too!  Was worse when I was on Gleevec for the burning, etc. now on the Sprycel I have more of the queezy feeling, etc. and fatigue if I am out in the gardens more than a short while.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#6 lehrerin

lehrerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

We just got back from a tropical vacation:)  Used 9 cans of spray-on sunscreen SPF 70 (waterproof and sweatproof)...also bought one of those UV shirts (like this one  http://www.uvskinz.c....aspx?id=29&c=5 ) and didn't have ANY problems with sunburn or itchy rash despite lots of snorkelling trips, laying on the beach, swimming, and general sun-worshipping  We did re-apply sunscreen frequently, especially face, ears, and neck.   We stayed 10 days and no one got sunburned, despite 600 mg of Gleevec:)

#7 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hmmmm, I really do miss getting a nice tan. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users